The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: inXile's thoughts on the physical collector's edition?

Post by Woolfe » May 22nd, 2017, 7:05 pm

Crosmando wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 2:41 am
Honestly, InXile should just do away with physical rewards entirely. It's nothing but a giant waste of money and as has been shown the actual quality of the stuff isn't great either. The great advantage of indie studios is the ability the go fully digital and avoid all the costs associated with that, also not having to deal with publishers either.

I mean what is even the point of a manual if all that information is already inside the game in the form of tooltips or ingame encyclopedias? It's just printing out crap for the sake of it.
Agreed
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » May 22nd, 2017, 7:57 pm

when I got mine the box was ripped. and the insert was smashed up, but the art book was cool.

Darth Trethon
Acolyte

Post by Darth Trethon » May 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm

My review of my personal CE and some thoughts about InXile, I posted this in another thread already:

I just got mine today....a few hours ago actually....the signed version. The quality is solid but there are certainly a couple of flaws....still, they can be forgiven in my opinion. The biggest flaw is that the box is one large empty....well...box....with loose items floating inside wrapped in bubble wrap. It seems like they didn't really plan or know the size of all the items so that could have been better organized for sure. The second flaw is that the and the game disc literally only has a cardboard sleeve....not even a cardboard sleeve with a bit of plastic backing designed to hold a CD like the Soundtrack has....definitely could have got some cheap plastc boxes or something better to hold the game disc and soundtrack....it is a CE and one that cost quite a bit more than comparable CEs. Then there's the known issue of the supposedly reformatted traveler's guide where the content was supposedly crammed in half the pages but supposedly it's all there. Still....the overall quality of what was there was acceptable I think.

The other bit of shoddy work I noticed wasn't part of the CE itself but the signed novella compilation....they didn't sign the actual novellas, they signed some cardboard cards that they then pasted on the first page inside the cover....in some cases on top of the Table of Contents...surely they could paste it to the inside of the front cover instead or something. On the bright side it contains a printed and signed version of Monte Cook's novella which wasn't promised to be included in the printed novella compilation so that deserves some recognition. Otherwise the quality of the novellas was solid.

So in the end there were some glaring oversights in the quality of the physical goods for certain where they played fast and loose with planning or lack thereof and I absolutely despise some of the excuses where they stuff like "it's out of our hands", "we have no control over that", and "we didn't know".....that's part of the problem really....they surrendered a lot of quality control, didn't specify certain things in their contracts with the manufacturers and distributors and so on. Not to mention the cut content from the game itself and their extreme reluctance to talk about it at all until they started being called out on it. This is in keeping with the still "coming soon" Avellone novel for Wasteland 2.....that to this day is not acknowledged as dead after all these years.

in the end to me my overall happiness with what I got is a 7/10.....but considering I backed at the $750 tier I think it's safe to say I'll never back for anywhere near that much if I do back again. Last I backed InXile was Wasteland 3 for about $85. They do try but have shown a tendency of biting more than they can chew and a reluctance to being open, honest, and transparent when some things do go wrong.....so I think that with Wasteland 3 I am about done backing and trusting InXile.....I'll at best buy their future games at release if they do release something and that will be that.

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » May 22nd, 2017, 9:57 pm

Crosmando wrote:
Honestly, InXile should just do away with physical rewards entirely. It's nothing but a giant waste of money and as has been shown the actual quality of the stuff isn't great either. The great advantage of indie studios is the ability the go fully digital and avoid all the costs associated with that, also not having to deal with publishers either.

I mean what is even the point of a manual if all that information is already inside the game in the form of tooltips or ingame encyclopedias? It's just printing out crap for the sake of it.
because most of the wales wants something physical for their hundreds of $$$. I've spent over 400$ for various items during PoE2 campagin, but if there were only digital tiers, I'd spent 60$ at most. Its almost 7 times less. So they'll still make physical tiers, because here are the real money.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » May 23rd, 2017, 6:43 am

Salmanasar wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 9:57 pm
Crosmando wrote:

because most of the wales wants something physical for their hundreds of $$$. I've spent over 400$ for various items during PoE2 campagin, but if there were only digital tiers, I'd spent 60$ at most. Its almost 7 times less. So they'll still make physical tiers, because here are the real money.
Agree on that, but InXile (as others should as well) should focus on more clever rewards instead of standard stuff.

Who needs a non DRM-free game disk? Who needs an artbook that isn´t big enough to enjoy the art and doesn´t contain any information about it? The manual, well, I didn´t find it athmospheric. The box is looking cool, but that was all.
To put it in a nutshell the CE isn´t good for a lot and it looks like it causes a lot of trouble to get there. This should be changed.

I like what Stoic did with BannerSaga III physical rewards. Could be a concept for InXile as well. No boxes, but a lot of other, non-standard goodies.

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » May 23rd, 2017, 7:53 am

I think that inxile have already learned their lesson - WL3 had only one physical tier, if I remember correctly.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » May 23rd, 2017, 7:57 am

Yup---no regular boxed, everythings focused on the CE. Higher Tiers get extra, seperate physical stuff.

Jernaugh
Scholar

Re: The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

Post by Jernaugh » May 23rd, 2017, 12:36 pm

I've uploaded my unboxing of my signed CE, if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLzt6k ... e=youtu.be

tl,dw: I'm ok with what I got. No real damage to anything. Stuff may appear cheap, but I'm not too fussed about that. Others are welcome to differ.

Aerothorn
Initiate

Re: The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

Post by Aerothorn » June 10th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Did anyone figure out what the steam keys in the box are for? Is it the Immortal Edition? Does it include the backer content? Which key is which?

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » June 11th, 2017, 6:46 am

IIRC the "boxed" steam key is a second copy of the game that you can gift to someone else.

Aerothorn
Initiate

Post by Aerothorn » June 11th, 2017, 7:30 am

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the normal edition or one of the fancier ones (or if the DLC turns it into one of the fancier ones or is the backer outfits).

GothamHunter
Initiate

Post by GothamHunter » June 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Still silence from inXile...all I'd like to know is what they think of what was sent out on their behalf.

AmLash
Initiate

Post by AmLash » June 25th, 2017, 10:59 pm

I would also be interested in an official response.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 26th, 2017, 9:29 am

Aerothorn wrote:
June 10th, 2017, 5:37 pm
Did anyone figure out what the steam keys in the box are for? Is it the Immortal Edition? Does it include the backer content? Which key is which?
Key is basic edition.

DLC is backer outfits.

Upgrade keys are on backer sites.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 26th, 2017, 9:36 am

AmLash wrote:
June 25th, 2017, 10:59 pm
I would also be interested in an official response.
It's been commented on before. Just to note one thing first: many people have had no issues with what was sent out. We get thanks all that time on it via our various social media channels.

That said, there were ways the whole process turned out that we weren't excited about and want to be better for our backers. we have listened to the critical feedback and have been applying that to our other crowdfunded efforts.

Coma
Initiate

Post by Coma » August 13th, 2017, 8:40 am

phimseto wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 9:36 am
It's been commented on before. Just to note one thing first: many people have had no issues with what was sent out. We get thanks all that time on it via our various social media channels.

That said, there were ways the whole process turned out that we weren't excited about and want to be better for our backers. we have listened to the critical feedback and have been applying that to our other crowdfunded efforts.
Don't get me wrong, I mostly like the game. The Box I got for quite a lot of money disappointed me nevertheless (all things were already mentioned here, great box, cheap insides, looked almost "broken" but looks like it was inteded this way...).
That things went wrong somewhere between inXile and Techland is bad, I get that, but to be honest - that's not my problem. As a pre-paying (!) customer, as someone who believed in this game several years before it was released, I simply don't want to be the person who has to suffer because of a lack of communication or whatever. I already bought a lot of CEs (games, films, music...), and this one was one of the more expensive ones and at the same time, the worst when it comes down to quality (not even mentioning this "physical-copy-thing"...).

What is worst in my eyes - we have quite a long thread here with people complaining about the quality, and the answer is "hey, many people are perfectly fine with the stuff we sent them"? Are you serious? How does that help all those people writing here that they are NOT happy?
How does it help, that the feedback given here ist been applied to "our other crowdfunded efforts"? I was interested in Torment, because I loved PS:T - but I won't be backing any other games, simply because I am not interested in them.
So, how are you going to calm down the angry voices here? Simply ignore them, and hope they will go away in some weeks or months? Might be the usual way now, but keep in mind that you are disappointing people who had faith in your project and who decided to support you quite some time ago.