Where are the prostitutes?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Where are the prostitutes?

Post by SagaDC » March 28th, 2017, 8:18 am

Woolfe wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 3:14 am
Yeah I was never a huge fan of Liefeld, it just looked.... wrong.... It wasn't just his "female" stuff, all of his work was oddly proportioned and just weird.
Trying not to drag things off-topic, but, uh, I'll just leave this here for anyone who hasn't seen it before. ;)

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uplo ... efeld3.jpg
Woolfe wrote:
I am sure he has gotten better, most people tend to. But yeah still not my cup of tea. But then Artwise, I am still a sucker for Adam Warren's work, and I love Alex Ross's epic pieces... I dunno there are some wonderful artists out there, that Rob just pales against.
I dropped most comics cold-turkey after the big reboots in 2012, but I still pick up each new volume of Adam Warren's "Empowered" as they come out.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 28th, 2017, 4:36 pm

SagaDC wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 8:18 am
Woolfe wrote:
Yeah I was never a huge fan of Liefeld, it just looked.... wrong.... It wasn't just his "female" stuff, all of his work was oddly proportioned and just weird.
Trying not to drag things off-topic, but, uh, I'll just leave this here for anyone who hasn't seen it before. ;)

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uplo ... efeld3.jpg
Woolfe wrote:
I am sure he has gotten better, most people tend to. But yeah still not my cup of tea. But then Artwise, I am still a sucker for Adam Warren's work, and I love Alex Ross's epic pieces... I dunno there are some wonderful artists out there, that Rob just pales against.
I dropped most comics cold-turkey after the big reboots in 2012, but I still pick up each new volume of Adam Warren's "Empowered" as they come out.
I haven't collected anything of Marvel/DC for a looooooooong time, still see a lot of it just due to associations etc. I tend to buy independent trades, and empowered is on my list of "must get at some point" books...
Thinking about it, I haven't read any new comics(other than online) in close to 2 years now... crikey... Time flies....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Rink
Acolyte

Post by Rink » April 1st, 2017, 3:34 am

I agree that both including sex as a theme and "boobs"/the male counterpart (well the visual representation of sexualization) can add to a setting.
I don't understand why it was largely omitted (there is one guy in the Order of Truth and and some of the new descriptions that were added for high lore are the exception to this, and maybe if you stretch the term very far the mechanical construct where you in a weird way play the part of a sexual partner). Reproduction could have been an interesting theme for the castoff, as he isn't able to reproduce, but could still be the center of attention for some that do, it would be interesting to see what castoffs do to feel close to others, to replace that human need etc. Also it would have been interesting to explore how sexuality is viewed, practiced, institutionalized (this includes prostitution), how Numenera or the tides play a role in all that, how synthetic life plays a role in this etc.
At the same time there are other themes that aren't explored a lot that play a big role in our everyday life. Where do people go to the toilet, where and what do they eat? How is sleep different from today? Is there really no education system for children, etc. etc. If it were just about "realism", then I guess there would be more themes that would have to be explored (and actually only very rarely are in games, movies, etc). But I am not sure the rulebooks include such themes and I am not sure if the devs had the freedom to define broad themes that may not be defined by the pnp-rulebook but could have become canon through the game. So like some of the people before me I think this isn't a discussion about realism, it is a discussion that stems from the fact that we like to have sex as a theme included in games.

But waltc said it already:
waltc wrote:
March 25th, 2017, 2:17 pm
I must say that out of all the things I've thought about with this game, the absence of hookers and whores and is not one of them...;) In fact, until I saw this thread I had never even thought about it.
And I think in a way it is actually an accomplishment if someone does manage to make a world like it has been created here WITHOUT including sexuality as a major theme. I mean a lot of things in our society are highly sexualized, because we are still very much driven by this instinct. It is like "lord of the rings", how could Tolkien write such a compelling story without including sex as a theme at all? How can you make people interested in a story without using the single most effective sales pitch known to humans? It's hard (no pun intended).
--------------------------------------------------------
You can't stay young - but you can refuse to grow old.

Named
Initiate

Post by Named » April 9th, 2017, 11:49 am

Rink wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 3:34 am
It is like "lord of the rings", how could Tolkien write such a compelling story without including sex as a theme at all? How can you make people interested in a story without using the single most effective sales pitch known to humans? It's hard (no pun intended).
Honestly I've much, MUCH more prefer the world of Planescape instead boring "Lord of the ring". Unless you are a child then, OK otherwise, I don't see reasons for castration of the world of any games.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 9th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Named wrote:
April 9th, 2017, 11:49 am
Honestly I've much, MUCH more prefer the world of Planescape instead boring "Lord of the ring". Unless you are a child then, OK otherwise, I don't see reasons for castration of the world of any games.
The Hobbit was a children's book; that served as prologue to the LoTR... but the LoTR novel was a [fantasy] war novel, and not like the Hobbit at all.

As for Tolkien, and writing/subject preference: You write about what you know, and about what you are comfortable with... It really was simple as that.

IIRC it was like that with several of the Inklings.