Where are the prostitutes?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Abdullah
Initiate

Where are the prostitutes?

Post by Abdullah » March 9th, 2017, 8:03 am

I started replaying PS:T shortly after finishing TToN. I noticed there are several harlots at the dark corners of Sigil(you get some funny comments from Morte if you interact with one). A question came to my mind: Why aren't there any prostitutes in TToN? The setting is set in billions of years in future, it's basically post-apocalyptic and many civilizations have been destroyed. In such environment, there would be a lot of thieves, thugs and harlots around, which are the byproducts of poverty and despair. But you can't even find a single prostitute even at Underbelly! :roll:

Firkraag
Adventurer

Re: Where are the prostitutes?

Post by Firkraag » March 9th, 2017, 10:43 am

Less post-apocalyptic and more quasi-medieval.

Maybe, the prostitutes are banned within a city limits, but free game just the outside.
Or we can't see the district they work within. Because, honestly, the city is enormous.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » March 9th, 2017, 11:31 am

There are plenty of prostitutes, they're just using invisibility cloaks issued by the city.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Abdullah
Initiate

Post by Abdullah » March 9th, 2017, 11:52 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:There are plenty of prostitutes, they're just using invisibility cloaks issued by the city.
That would be bad for the business

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 9th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Abdullah wrote:I started replaying PS:T shortly after finishing TToN. I noticed there are several harlots at the dark corners of Sigil(you get some funny comments from Morte if you interact with one). A question came to my mind: Why aren't there any prostitutes in TToN? The setting is set in billions of years in future, it's basically post-apocalyptic and many civilizations have been destroyed. In such environment, there would be a lot of thieves, thugs and harlots around, which are the byproducts of poverty and despair. But you can't even find a single prostitute even at Underbelly! :roll:
I asked the exact same question. The game comes off as very PG compared to PST. It makes so sense and is ridiculous that they would cut everything involving sex out of the game. I don't understand this kind of thinking at all, "Hey lets make it so you can kill people, but let us all pretend that genitals don't exist!!!" What's even weirder is the fact that you can actually play as a boy or a girl and so far I haven't seen the slightest indication that your sexuality is acknowledged at all. So, why even have the option to pick if it doesn't matter? In so many ways TToN feels castrated.

Abdullah
Initiate

Post by Abdullah » March 9th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Not to mention that nearly all female NPCs are dressed modestly. You feel like they were designed by your local priests :D

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 9th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Well, to be fair, male NPCs look pretty modestly dressed, just as well. So, morals are strong on this cliff.

Ranger1
Scholar

Post by Ranger1 » March 9th, 2017, 6:45 pm

In a lets play of Planescape, Colin McComb made some revealing comments about the game that are pertinent to this question. He complained about some of the scantily clad ladies which he felt was included solely for the male audience, through they could hardly not be included for setting reasons. Seems he went overboard as TTON does indeed show off most everyone as quite gentrified and no one is under dressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLC6QiV0kv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzALM1xQoJw

Maybe Colin lacks perspective and let his sensibilities override his artistic endeavour. Sagus does not come across as a city with warrens and slums and seediness. For me it is a minor criticism as I like the game overall but I think the criticism is warranted. The world seems sexless, prim and proper*. Sure there is the under ground area through I didn't get much sense of threat or oppression there. And people are still appropriately dressed, if not in bright colours as conspicuous consumption demands. ( which is some praise worthy attention to medieval life ) I know its the far far future but human beings are still human beings if you know what I mean.

*People dress risque to show off or catch others eyes all the time. Not much sense in being prudish about the subject matter.

HarveyNorman
Initiate

Post by HarveyNorman » March 9th, 2017, 8:29 pm

No prostitues but plenty of ways to kill yourself. I would suspect a higher than average suicide rate in this city.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 10th, 2017, 2:30 am

I found thugs of Underbelly to be very polite and cultured fellas.
HarveyNorman wrote:No prostitues but plenty of ways to kill yourself. I would suspect a higher than average suicide rate in this city.
You meant to say: "fatal accidents"?

Ningauble
Novice

Post by Ningauble » March 10th, 2017, 3:14 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:There are plenty of prostitutes, they're just using invisibility cloaks issued by the city.
This has been hard written to the ram of my mind. All Numenera prostitution requires being clever enough to deactivate the invisibility cloaks on the prostitutes so that you can see how little they are wearing under all that nothing they were wearing. #mindblown #yes #ohgodohgod #makeitso

HarveyNorman
Initiate

Post by HarveyNorman » March 10th, 2017, 4:32 am

Firkraag wrote:I found thugs of Underbelly to be very polite and cultured fellas.
HarveyNorman wrote:No prostitues but plenty of ways to kill yourself. I would suspect a higher than average suicide rate in this city.
You meant to say: "fatal accidents"?
I really meant suicides, if u go to the cliff side below the omniscope, that's a suicide hotspot (it's stated there if I remember correctly). Then there's the lethal beverages at the bar. also the houses are built at the cliff's edge... :shock:

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » March 10th, 2017, 4:40 am

Abdullah wrote:
That would be bad for the business
Depends on the prostitute. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 10th, 2017, 4:44 am

Ningauble wrote:

Numenera motherfucker!
This has been hard written to the ram of my mind. All Numenera prostitution requires being clever enough to deactivate the invisibility cloaks on the prostitutes so that you can see how little they are wearing under all that nothing they were wearing. #mindblown #yes #ohgodohgod #makeitso
You should ask Sn'erf. ;) Seriously, that guy knows all about overcoming obstacles on a path to learn... mating habits. He even has a device for that.

Named
Initiate

Post by Named » March 12th, 2017, 4:37 am

cannibalism - good
violence - good
lie - good
castration of its products - good
normal sexuality - taboo

if they are not ridiculous argument that sex does not fit Numenera?
Let's be honest, this game was supposed to be an adult and have to include all aspects of adult life. So much they castrate your product with sex, that even in the red tide did not use the word sex

"Red: Represents passion, emotion, action, and zeal. It is the Tide of people whose
goal is to live in the moment, to experience life to its fullest, or to follow their heart
wherever it leads them. "

passopm, emotion, action, and zeal but FOR THE NAME OF GOD NO SEX...

tips - hints.. PEGI CLASSIFICATION... money...

acm
Acolyte

Post by acm » March 12th, 2017, 7:33 am

Finally a place where the *real* issues are discussed! Considering that there is an official Numenera sourcebook called "Love and Sex in the Ninth World," this omission is definitely a chasmal rift in the fabric of narration!

Aotrs Commander
Initiate

Post by Aotrs Commander » March 12th, 2017, 8:18 am

Actually, I find it a refreshing change.

Given the alternatives these days* - all of which involve upsetting some quarter - seems to be a) Bioware (who started out with noble intentions) or b) Pillars of Eternity (where the merest suggestion of romantic content has the forum up in arms about becomeing Bioware (and yet no-one complain about "sex with prostitutes gives you stat bonuses," which is just as silly as player-sexual companions) or c )Witcher 3, where (I'm told) there is apparently a raging debate about which of the two young ladies you become most acquinted with.

(Disclaimer - I personally am not against said content in any game, but neither am I for it, it is generally pretty neutral for me. The eye-candy (regardless of to whom it is aimed) does nothing for me anyway.)

So I am quite happy for an RPG - for once - to simply sideside the whole issue entirely; and at least, upsets people in a slightly different way...!

*PS:T is still my favourite RPG ever, but in this particular regard, it is - like Baldur's Gate 2 - slanted a bit towards the straight gentleman, shall we say.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 16th, 2017, 6:14 am

Aotrs Commander wrote:c )Witcher 3, where (I'm told) there is apparently a raging debate about which of the two young ladies you become most acquainted with.
If those two ladies are the ones I'm thinking about, they're as old, if not older (one of them for sure), than Witcher himself, who's closing in on his hundredth birthday anniversary. Witches and their sorcery!

So, old lechers, that bunch! ;)
Last edited by Firkraag on March 16th, 2017, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 16th, 2017, 6:27 am

I'm pretty neutral about sexual/romantic content in video games, but do I feel uncomfortable when nudity bombs are dropped out of the blue in otherwise awesome story, in a movie or series.

That said, prostitutes in PS:T contributed to the game marginally more than Hive thugs, because of the learning experience for Morte. You can replace them with loaders, barmies and wage slaves - game won't be any worse.

Sexual themes and romantic subplots are not required to tell a good story. They can be in it. Or not. InXile decided to not to focus on it.

Stop treating as some sort of statement.
Last edited by Firkraag on March 16th, 2017, 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » March 16th, 2017, 6:52 am

Named wrote:"Red: Represents passion, emotion, action, and zeal. It is the Tide of people whose
goal is to live in the moment, to experience life to its fullest, or to follow their heart
wherever it leads them. "
To be fair, one of the books you are offered after turning in the CGs journal is pretty lewd (in a funny and tasteful way), and attributed to the red tide. The shopkeep gave my Gold/Blue castoff a pretty odd look for picking that, which made me laugh as well.

I also came across some quite private memories of the CG in other places, so the game is certainly not devoid of any sexuality. It's just not in your face all the time. Which is fine by me. Makes those moments stand out the more.