No official reaction to translation problems is intriguing

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Dork Mage
Scholar

Re: No official reaction to translation problems is intriguing

Post by Dork Mage » March 2nd, 2017, 4:23 pm

InXile can't (is not staffed to) do international sales. They find a distributor to do that. The WL2 distributor was problematic so InXile looked for a different distributor.

Instead of a distributor, they found a publisher who would do marketing (those u-tube video's and others which are very polished), a console port, localization and distribution.

Unfortunately, Techland under-estimated (or failed to grasp) the difficulty of a TToN translation.

It seems that English only is the only viable version... I seriously don't InXile will attempt translations on their own.

Colin McComb
Acolyte

Post by Colin McComb » March 2nd, 2017, 7:09 pm

The production team is aware of the translation issues. I don't know anything more than that, because I'm not a producer, but yeah - they're talking about it and trying to figure out solutions.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 2nd, 2017, 7:45 pm

Ah, so there you have it. InXile is indeed working behind the scenes to try to find a solution to the issue.

D-D
Acolyte

Post by D-D » March 2nd, 2017, 10:00 pm

Dork Mage wrote:InXile can't (is not staffed to) do international sales. They find a distributor to do that. The WL2 distributor was problematic so InXile looked for a different distributor.

Instead of a distributor, they found a publisher who would do marketing (those u-tube video's and others which are very polished), a console port, localization and distribution.
Don't know if this is true, but it cracked me up. Because Techland simply hired Deep SIlver (the WL2 distributor) again to distribute Torment :P :P :P

German news article: http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spi ... ition.html

daedalusAI
Initiate

Post by daedalusAI » March 3rd, 2017, 1:47 am

SagaDC wrote:Ah, so there you have it. InXile is indeed working behind the scenes to try to find a solution to the issue.
Good.
I wanted nothing more but such a small token of actual consideration.

Sadly the current situation still shows one thing: never purchase a game on its release day(with a few exceptions) and rather wait a few months until it's playable and/or the community takes over where the original companies failed.

Demetrios
Initiate

Post by Demetrios » April 23rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

The best way to polish the translation as for me - is work with community. Professional translators usually can't choose what to translate, so even if hired translator is a gamer who know all possible issues and underwater rocks he just can be not very interested in a genre (and don't know specific problems of it). Translating a game with a huge amount of dialogues to a more flexible language than English can have result with a huge amount of errors. Genders, cases, numbers... In some languages different numbers requires different form of corresponding noun or adjective etc. All this very hard to maintain.

But fans of a game see all issues and problems in-game so they can report and fix all this if there will be some useful system.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 23rd, 2017, 7:41 pm

Demetrios wrote:
April 23rd, 2017, 6:54 pm
The best way to polish the translation as for me - is work with community.
They tried working with the community when doing localization for Wasteland 2, but from what I understand it didn't turn out very well. Since InXile doesn't have any staff to check the quality of the work, they only end up discovering if someone's work is passable or not after-the-fact. Apparently a number of the community "translators" were just using online resources like Google Translate, just so they could get rewards from InXile (mostly in the form of game keys).