So how does it compare to Planescape: Torment?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

LatchDanWearn
Initiate

So how does it compare to Planescape: Torment?

Post by LatchDanWearn » March 1st, 2017, 6:56 pm

What do you guys think?

How does it compare to its predecessor? If it's a good game, I'll go purchase it.

dissapointed
Initiate

Re: So how does it compare to Planescape: Torment?

Post by dissapointed » March 1st, 2017, 7:29 pm

As my username implies, TTON is a vast dissapointment to me.

First game in years I'm not even playing though to the end...the combat is just so very poor. I recommend watching the ACG Channel's review on Youtube for a very well-balanced overall perspective, as he hits both the high and low points of this game quite well. The writing is often amazing, the environments are unique, and the in-game mechanics are an abomination. It's not a great stretch to assume that the awful combat is a result of their decision to also support consoles, as some type of turn-based combat would be the only way to accommodate them.

I've played through most of the PC games that fall into this genre (Original Torment, BG Series, NWN, Pillars of Eternity, Tyrrany, etc.) and in my opinion this was the most unpolished title among them. Again, it has some amazing elements, but overall it is severely lacking. I agree with the ACG summary: Wait until you can get it 75% off on a sale. I'm fairly upset with myself for paying full price for this.

LatchDanWearn
Initiate

Post by LatchDanWearn » March 1st, 2017, 7:40 pm

dissapointed wrote:As my username implies, TTON is a vast dissapointment to me.

First game in years I'm not even playing though to the end...the combat is just so very poor. I recommend watching the ACG Channel's review on Youtube for a very well-balanced overall perspective, as he hits both the high and low points of this game quite well. The writing is often amazing, the environments are unique, and the in-game mechanics are an abomination. It's not a great stretch to assume that the awful combat is a result of their decision to also support consoles, as some type of turn-based combat would be the only way to accommodate them.

I've played through most of the PC games that fall into this genre (Original Torment, BG Series, NWN, Pillars of Eternity, Tyrrany, etc.) and in my opinion this was the most unpolished title among them. Again, it has some amazing elements, but overall it is severely lacking. I agree with the ACG summary: Wait until you can get it 75% off on a sale. I'm fairly upset with myself for paying full price for this.
How are the story, characters, and narrative? Are they as good as in PS:T?

I've heard the game kind of panders to Progressive political culture in a heavy-handed, not-so-subtle way (i.e. tries to win brownie points with identity politics).

teenparty
Initiate

Post by teenparty » March 1st, 2017, 7:56 pm

LatchDanWearn wrote: I've heard the game kind of panders to Progressive political culture in a heavy-handed, not-so-subtle way (i.e. tries to win brownie points with identity politics).
People say that about every game coming out now. If Planescape Torment came out today, people would call it SJW propaganda, because of the way it deals with identity. Please, stop! Enjoy! Think!

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 2nd, 2017, 12:13 am

I've thought it was "disappointed". One 's', double "p". ;)
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

reggler
Initiate

Post by reggler » March 2nd, 2017, 12:17 am

@teenparty I wholeheartedly concur. Just enjoy things, people.

As for the game:
Since I'm only a couple of hours in, I can't really comment in-depth on characters and story progression. However, in terms of world building and writing, I feel it compares quite favourably to Ps:T so far. I personally get the same lovely feeling of being thrust in a weird, unknown world, and the same giddy excitement of exploring it. The writing supports this quite well, and I enjoy the fact that you spend most of the playtime reading. Again, keep in mind I can't really say anything about actual story arcs, because I'm not really far along.

As for the combats, let's have a little test: "I've played 4 hours, and the only combat scenario I got in I solved without landing a single hit by talking to my enemy and passing two speech checks." Two reactions to this statement, IMO both valid:
Reaction A: It really sucks!
Reaction B: It's so awesome!

I'm part of crowd B, and so far, I love the game quite a bit. Haven't tried to play a "fighter" yet, so that of course colors my opinion.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

DaveTheArakin
Initiate

Post by DaveTheArakin » March 2nd, 2017, 2:19 am

I just finished the game. Personally, I found the game a lot more enjoyable and accessible than Planescape: Torment. I enjoy the setting and the story as well as diverse solution to quests. I really like that I didn't have to solve all my problems with fighting.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » March 2nd, 2017, 3:04 am

10 hours in, I'd say most of it is just about on the same level as PS:T....including the bad parts.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

eNTi
Scholar

Post by eNTi » March 2nd, 2017, 6:51 am

Technical problems aside... An hour or so in I think this game is a convoluted cluster fuck. While the characters themselves so far seem ... well fleshed out. The world, the premise and the setting is just insanely contrived an poorly stitched together. It all feels very far fetched. The people who wrote this game clearly wanted it to be "different". So different in fact that it doesn't resemble anything at all. Maybe I'm just too old for this shit but I can't see or feel one bit of PST in this. If anything this game LOOKs a bit like PST and that's certainly nothing to be proud of.

Sceptenar
Initiate

Post by Sceptenar » March 2nd, 2017, 7:38 am

Played all the way through, and I liked it a lot. But no, I can't say it's as good as PS:T. The companions are an especially sour bit for me, they are so boring in comparison to the ensemble we had in PS:T.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » March 2nd, 2017, 7:41 am

To me it's PS:T without combat, and I like it! I must have played about 6 hours so far, and the tutorial crisis aside, I have sidestepped all 3 opportunities to get into a fight (that I have noticed). I.e. I have not even entered crisis/combat mode.

It's a game of talking, interacting with weird machinery (using the same interface as talking), exploration and discovery. I came across some brilliant bits so far, and some stuff that does not stand out much or could have fit into any other RPG as well. To me, it's got a similarly feel as PS:T, with the difference that I do not need to run from Hive Thugs all the time or battle my way through Curst.

I'm not far enough in to compare it to PS:T as a whole, but so far it holds up to my expectations. If you have a vivid imagination and seek a world to get lost in, this is not a bad game at all. If it's the thrill of battle you're after, or a plot that progresses in leaps and bounds, I'd give it a wide berth.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 2nd, 2017, 9:29 am

Firkraag wrote:
It is... and yet ~could be a play on wording... "Diss" is also crude/silly informal slang for 'disrespect'.
*But perhaps I'm putting too much thought into it.

I haven't played the game, but my question is how does it stack up when compared to Lionheart?
LatchDanWearn wrote:How are the story, characters, and narrative? Are they as good as in PS:T?
I would never expect that, nor ask that of someone...It's unfair. It'd be like demanding "Pride & Prejudice" or "Shogun" from a student writing assignment.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 2nd, 2017, 1:44 pm

kaiman wrote:If you have a vivid imagination and seek a world to get lost in, this is not a bad game at all. If it's the thrill of battle you're after, or a plot that progresses in leaps and bounds, I'd give it a wide berth.
That lines up very well with my impressions so far too. I'm liking the game (4 hrs in): the world is intriguing and you end up wanting to explore and learn more about it. The writing is good (so far), and it provides a nice sense of being thrust into a situation and having to make sense of it from cues you are given in the game world. There are a lot of little subtleties to pick up on.

I wouldn't recommend this if what you want is primarily a combat focused game. It's more of a game that rewards imagination and reading. Think something like "enhanced narrative fiction, with a side of combat", rather than "combat, with a side of fiction".

I can understand why reactions are so polarized: some people think it's rubbish, and others are enjoying the hell out of it. It's all down to what you want out of the experience and whether you can be happy letting the game express itself and build a world in your imagination.

It's working for me, so far.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 2nd, 2017, 10:32 pm

eNTi wrote:The people who wrote this game clearly wanted it to be "different".
I wonder how much of that is inXile and how much of that is Tides of Numenera...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » March 3rd, 2017, 2:00 am

After a few hours in, this game does not give me a sense of wonder and wanting to know more that PST did. So I would say it compares very poorly.

Shoitaan
Initiate

Post by Shoitaan » March 3rd, 2017, 2:18 am

LatchDanWearn wrote:

How are the story, characters, and narrative? Are they as good as in PS:T?

I've heard the game kind of panders to Progressive political culture in a heavy-handed, not-so-subtle way (i.e. tries to win brownie points with identity politics).
IMO
All but 2 of the characters are less interesting. The two I'm thinking off are in the same ballpark as PST characters but somehow still not as unique and memorable. I feel part of that is the fact that everyone is mostly a boring human whereas PST characters were both visually and thematically striking.

Story overall is in the same ballpark as PST. It seems as good and deep at the start but by the end, it's definitely not as deep and reflective as PST. It's still one of the best stories I've experienced for years and I enjoyed the ride completely.

Not sure what to say about the 'pandering to progressive political culture' nonsense. Some people are too sensitive to anything they perceive as being potential propaganda from either side of the spectrum. If you're a normal well balanced person, I don't think you'll notice anything. If you're likely to get butthurt about anything that offends your personal stance on things then maybe? Not sure how to answer that honestly.

Overall, it's not as good or better than PST. But it's definitely a great spiritual successor. I firmly believe that if you enjoyed PST, you'll definite enjoy this even if it's 'not as much'.

Knightshark
Novice

Post by Knightshark » March 3rd, 2017, 3:00 am

Firkraag wrote:
We wanted to diss the game and make a point?

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » March 3rd, 2017, 3:46 am

LatchDanWearn wrote:What do you guys think?

How does it compare to its predecessor? If it's a good game, I'll go purchase it.
T:TON doesn't stand anywhere near PS:T in terms of quality. My full list of complaints is here.

But now that reviews are up and more players finishing the game you can see how it is on Metacritic, it's waaay below PS:T.

Vizera
Initiate

Post by Vizera » March 5th, 2017, 4:45 am

On the whole it is not as good as PST.
The overall quality of writing is comparable to PST, and the world comes to life in the same way Sigil did.
The main story, especially the ending, is unfortunately nowhere near as good.
They also made a lot of concessions to consoles, which ultimately ruined game play. Combat is a horribly simplistic affair which requires no thought and gives few real tactical options. Classes are "streamlined" to the point where it really does not matter at all what you play, and there are perhaps a total of 10 fights in the entire game, most of which are skippable.
Even so it is well worth picking up for the writing alone, as that is mile ahead of 90% of the rpgs out there.
A fantastic experience if a somewhat lackuster game, if that makes sense.
Last edited by Vizera on March 6th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin » March 5th, 2017, 5:04 am

I don't know, I've found the turn-based combat to be simplistic, but ok. And it made things possible that could not exist in a game with RTwP. Like, the events in the Sanctuary, which would have been a cutscene in a RTwP game, but was handled as a Crisis in TTON