Has The Toy companion been cut from the game? ($2M stretch goal)

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Have The Toy and Riastrad companions been cut from the game?

Post by Zombra » January 14th, 2017, 11:42 am

All right, all right. Let's settle it down with the personal attacks, gents.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 14th, 2017, 12:00 pm

which by the way is questionably legal
When you pulled that out of your ass, did it hurt?

Or are you just the typical internet ignorant, just posting random stuff without having any clue about it?
Any discussion of potential companions is considered spoilers.
By whom? You? Again pulling out stuff from dark places?

And spoiler like when inXile said during the Kickstarter that this companion will be in the game? Was that a spoiler?

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » January 14th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Wasn't the toy the first stretch goal?

From my understanding It is very rare that games cut their first stretch goal because those are usually planned before the KS is even made.

Another reason I would suspect the toy would not be cut is because it is an interesting idea to have a companion whose nature is altered by your choices.I would imagine it would change based on your selections at the beginning of the game, how you develop with the tides, your playing style, and your choice of NPCs you decide to interact with.

Making the toy would require a huge amount of energy. If they decide to start making it I think it would be cheaper to keep it in the game rather than remove it.

But if it is cut it would be very disappointing.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 15th, 2017, 3:48 am

sparkee666 wrote:Wasn't the toy the first stretch goal?

From my understanding It is very rare that games cut their first stretch goal because those are usually planned before the KS is even made.

Another reason I would suspect the toy would not be cut is because it is an interesting idea to have a companion whose nature is altered by your choices.I would imagine it would change based on your selections at the beginning of the game, how you develop with the tides, your playing style, and your choice of NPCs you decide to interact with.

Making the toy would require a huge amount of energy. If they decide to start making it I think it would be cheaper to keep it in the game rather than remove it.

But if it is cut it would be very disappointing.
Well don't get too worried yet. The people here trying to make a big deal may very well be either trolling or poorly informed. The Toy isn't like a normal companion. It wouldn't have much dialogue because it doesn't actually speak. It also will be one of the very last companions you encounter specifically because the PC reacts to the choices that your character had made earlier in the game.

"The Toy is a numenera, a leftover creature from a prior world. It is a living ball of goo, whose form and abilities will change and develop depending on player choices. It is very loyal, and the Last Castoff will have a lot of influence over it."
http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/The_Toy

If it is very loyal, can't die, and you have lots of influence over it, it might not technically be a full PC. It may be more akin to a familiar or pet of sorts. As I'd mentioned in a separate thread: "Looks like The Toy, a changing ball of goo might be found in a half dug passage in the Stratas 46-49 of The Bore. The Explorer's guidebook seems to suggest something very similar in the section about The Bore." Which I'll bet is one of the last locations you come to, similar to Nordom from P:ST.

Unless someone can show evidence that code involving The Toy has been cut out that existed in the Alpha this is all merely conjecture. What we need is to know the source of these accusations and to weed out all the perverse and unhelpful posters.

[Update] Here I found some proof supporting my "Pet" hypothesis: "What it is now is an extremely strange and loyal pet."
http://www.adamheine.com/2014/05/ama-to ... n-toy.html

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 15th, 2017, 10:17 am

@anonymous6059

If you're so sure they haven't been cut and we're just trolling, how about a friendly wager? If they were indeed cut from the game, you request a ban and leave this forum forever. If they're still in, I'll do it.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 15th, 2017, 10:32 am

fairfax wrote:@anonymous6059

If you're so sure they haven't been cut and we're just trolling, how about a friendly wager? If they were indeed cut from the game, you request a ban and leave this forum forever. If they're still in, I'll do it.
Um, what? Why don't you just actually try and be helpful instead of spouting accusations without showing any proof whatsoever? I'm not the one going around claiming to know what is in the game and what isn't, you are. All I'm asking is for you to calm down and try to act like a human being.

Does the code show less banter in the Beta compared to the Alpha? If so, can you show us the data?
If all you are basing your belief on is the fact that code concerning The Toy exist in the Beta then it would seem you're only proving that it does in fact exist. If they haven't planned to have it in the game no code would exist. The Beta isn't the whole game.

It even specifically says during loading screens: More Companions will be available on release!

So again, if you actually have any proof whatsoever that a character has been cut I will jump right on the band wagon with you. What I'm opposed to is people making outrageous claims that are unfounded. Show me something that supports your idea. Refusal to do so only shows that you simply want to inflame others. The last post was nothing but an attempt to provoke me. Just about the most unhelpful and off topic post possible.

Mera
Initiate

Post by Mera » January 16th, 2017, 4:13 am

From experience with tons of other games, datamining is fairly reliable most of the time.
Not saying there's 100% here or not, they could really be hiding it but that's a serious warning for sure...

Anyway, I hope nothing's been cut, for one because it looked like potential cool content and also because that would be a bad sign for future crowdfunding projects...

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » January 16th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I figured they would keep the toy out of the game till release. It seems to me that it will be a pretty big thing to get and InXile would want to keep it a secret .

For the last week of playing the game I think of the spots were it would be located.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Has The Toy companion been cut from the game?

Post by Zombra » January 23rd, 2017, 1:17 pm

By request, this thread has been returned to the TTON General forum. The subject is not game content but whether a stretch goal has been discarded. Verifying the existence of the Toy in the game is not a spoiler as it has been public knowledge since the kickstarter.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 23rd, 2017, 1:57 pm

Ok, I've read that interview with Brian Fargo about how devs cut some content that only they know about and they probably will never tell us what that was, that's fine with me in general. However, not telling about cut stretch goals would be plain mean to the backers, because many people are counting on all those stretch goal to be in the game. So, devs, please, if you cut the Toy, or another companion, or numenera crafting please come out and respond. Backers will still find out and be mad when the game releases, so there's no point in hiding it. However if you logically explain why something was cut I'm sure people will understand, it's not the first time Kickstarter stretch goals are cut.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 23rd, 2017, 4:10 pm

Can someone list off the verified companions? The first step in figuring this out would be deciding on what we do know and what we don't. We know that Fargo made some cuts, but that by itself doesn't prove anything. Some datamined banter shows the existence of The Toy. That by itself should suggest that it is in the game and not the opposite. I agree though, most likely we are looking at something closer to 7 companions instead of 9.
Aramintai wrote:Ok, I've read that interview with Brian Fargo about how devs cut some content that only they know about and they probably will never tell us what that was, that's fine with me in general. However, not telling about cut stretch goals would be plain mean to the backers, because many people are counting on all those stretch goal to be in the game. So, devs, please, if you cut the Toy, or another companion, or numenera crafting please come out and respond. Backers will still find out and be mad when the game releases, so there's no point in hiding it. However if you logically explain why something was cut I'm sure people will understand, it's not the first time Kickstarter stretch goals are cut.
I understand why Inxile would be unwilling to reveal such details. It would ruin and spoil the surprise of it when the game is released. It isn't so different from asking a game developer to explain what the final boss is like in the game they're making. Why would they reveal that? That would only spoil the game for those who want to be a little bit surprised.

I think the best we can ask for is a number. For them to at least own up to how many companions are in the game. I think that is fair enough. Even if they didn't cut The Toy, they cut something. Revealing every single little thing that didn't make it into the game isn't going to be a very bright move for the company. Better to give us an idea of what is in the game.

That article does have me worried. :(
What has me really worried is that all the screenshots show the same companions.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 23rd, 2017, 7:09 pm

Zombra wrote: Verifying the existence of the Toy in the game is not a spoiler as it has been public knowledge since the kickstarter.
Bugs can be fixed but shitty design is forever.

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 23rd, 2017, 8:21 pm

They won't admit anything before release because they don't want bad word of mouth and forum outrage before the game's release. They want you to play the game and only realize they've been cut after playing for several hours, at which point you won't be able to request a refund anymore.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 23rd, 2017, 8:35 pm

fairfax wrote:They won't admit anything before release because they don't want bad word of mouth and forum outrage before the game's release. They want you to play the game and only realize they've been cut after playing for several hours, at which point you won't be able to request a refund anymore.

Another possibility is that now inXile is in a crunch mode of epic proportion to reimplement The Toy in the game just to prove you wrong.

day 1 free DLC incoming! You heard it here first! :)

Mera
Initiate

Post by Mera » January 24th, 2017, 3:52 am

What's even more telling than datamining is this refusal to make any comments. I mean, if nothing had been cut, they would just say it right? "Come on guys, that was one of our stretch goal, no way we would cut it. We promised 9 companions, we'll deliver them all". Boom, 45 secondes. Done, all doubts dispelled.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 24th, 2017, 5:01 am

Spoilers
I think we've already got 7 confirmed companions.
Here are the Companions that we do know are in the game:
1. The Specter [He helps you fight in the introduction. I'm assuming he will help fight in the labyrinth later.]
2. Aligern
3. Rhin
4. Erritis
5. Callistege
6. Tybir
7. matkina
8. ? The Toy
9. UNKNOWN

The Beta specifically states that more companions will be available on release. Planescape Torment had 7 companions. TToN's beta confirms 7 and suggest a 8th called The Toy. The method used to get this information has never been verified, but supposedly banter for The Toy exist if datamined.

The only obvious conclusion here is: The Toy is in the game. The finished game is supposed to have at least 1 more companion and code exist for The Toy, so why would anyone assume it isn't in the game? If anything we should be worried about the other companion that we have no information on.

The toy is considered a Known companion. http://numenera.gamepedia.com/Companions
If anything this only shows that we might not get 9 companions since 1 was cut.
Mera wrote:What's even more telling than datamining is this refusal to make any comments. I mean, if nothing had been cut, they would just say it right? "Come on guys, that was one of our stretch goal, no way we would cut it. We promised 9 companions, we'll deliver them all". Boom, 45 secondes. Done, all doubts dispelled.
Well, they seem to be refusing to answer several questions. It isn't just this that they are ignoring. I'm starting to think that when they handed the game over to Techland they lost some rights. They may not be able to tell us since Techland runs the show now. That or they really just don't want us to know the answers to all these questions. I'd think telling us something simple like, The total number of companions, should be pretty easy to do.

I think we know as fact that 7 exist. 2 of them are uncertain. 1 of them is completely unknown.
The toy has a planned companion from the very beginning. So I still don't see why it would be The Toy that they cut.

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 24th, 2017, 8:20 am

The "more companions on release" thing is just a leftover from when it had fewer companions in the alpha/beta.

A Codex user also asked one of the developers on twitter and the question was ignored. The order not to acknowledge this comes from the very top, I bet.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 24th, 2017, 9:11 am

fairfax wrote:The "more companions on release" thing is just a leftover from when it had fewer companions in the alpha/beta.

A Codex user also asked one of the developers on twitter and the question was ignored. The order not to acknowledge this comes from the very top, I bet.
Well, I contacted Techland hoping to receive some more information. It would suck if that "more companions on release" message was just a leftover, but how exactly can we know that? It specifically says "more companions on release", not more companions on beta update. So I'm going to stick with hoping that the second half of the game includes at least one additional PC. it would only make sense that the other half of the game would have at least one, would it not? I don't know if its The Toy, but I still see no reason to assume its been cut. Something has been cut though that is for sure. Then again, something is almost always cut. That is just the fate of any video game or movie. I'm glad though that this problem is being raised and I hope that one way or another this will be explained before release.

So far all we know for sure is the Italian translation has been cut.

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 24th, 2017, 9:24 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
fairfax wrote:The "more companions on release" thing is just a leftover from when it had fewer companions in the alpha/beta.

Well, I contacted Techland hoping to receive some more information. It would suck if that "more companions on release" message was just a leftover, but how exactly can we know that? It specifically says "more companions on release", not more companions on beta update. So I'm going to stick with hoping that the second half of the game includes at least one additional PC. it would only make sense that the other half of the game would have at least one, would it not? I don't know if its The Toy, but I still see no reason to assume its been cut. Something has been cut though that is for sure. Then again, something is almost always cut. That is just the fate of any video game or movie. I'm glad though that this problem is being raised and I hope that one way or another this will be explained before release.

So far all we know for sure is the Italian translation has been cut.
Keep in mind the game has been delayed since the alpha was released. They probably didn't know how much they'd include in the early access builds and how long it would last.

Grotesque
Scholar

Post by Grotesque » January 24th, 2017, 9:55 am

It's also funny because 17 hours ago, Adam Heine quoted in a tweet one of Infinitron's posts on the inXile forums with links to some reviews.

https://twitter.com/adamheine/status/823701205096370177
So he's active on forums but refuses to commnet about The Toy or respond on twitter