Backers being shortchanged?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

cryocore
Acolyte

Re: Backers being shortchanged?

Post by cryocore » February 12th, 2017, 4:17 am

RadonGOG wrote:
Godfather101 wrote:
RadonGOG wrote: I can only tell you that I´ve recievend an uprade to my pledge level pretty much directly after I´ve contacted them.
hmm?
So you got refund in Inxile points?
Or what do you mean with "upgrade"?
And why did you contact them?
Because of a refund, upgrade request (for a better version) or something entierly different?
I contacted them due to this posting: viewtopic.php?p=179430#p179430
I simply got the extra digital rewards I suggested them as a fitting substitude. I wouldn´t have bought them otherwise, therefore they don´t loose something, but I still got something I´m a little bit interested in. (just like I haven´t been that much interested in the keyring or the stature anyways; therefore this seemed fair for me. Somebody who desperatly wants both the stature and the keyring will have to figure out some different deal...)
Digital Rewards. So things that literally cost them nothing to produce and provide, and actually do nothing to make the Oddity level rewards actually collectible. Seems like you've sold yourself way too short.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 12th, 2017, 8:13 am

cryocore wrote:
RadonGOG wrote:
Godfather101 wrote: hmm?
So you got refund in Inxile points?
Or what do you mean with "upgrade"?
And why did you contact them?
Because of a refund, upgrade request (for a better version) or something entierly different?
I contacted them due to this posting: viewtopic.php?p=179430#p179430
I simply got the extra digital rewards I suggested them as a fitting substitude. I wouldn´t have bought them otherwise, therefore they don´t loose something, but I still got something I´m a little bit interested in. (just like I haven´t been that much interested in the keyring or the stature anyways; therefore this seemed fair for me. Somebody who desperatly wants both the stature and the keyring will have to figure out some different deal...)
Digital Rewards. So things that literally cost them nothing to produce and provide, and actually do nothing to make the Oddity level rewards actually collectible. Seems like you've sold yourself way too short.
And exactly this was the idea: I didn´t want to produce costs, I´ve got no interest in harming InXile, so it was completely all-right.
And concerning the Collectibility: Well, you don´t know yet.
We haven´t seen the box yet, we haven´t seen anything, as you said and criticized over here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17115

And yes, I´d love to get some information on the CEs as well. It´s about time.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 12th, 2017, 9:14 am

Yeah, i don't want to harm Inxile either.
But the Digital Rewards as a compensation for all the trouble would be nice and enough for me.

So thanks for the explanation RadonGOG.

cryocore
Acolyte

Post by cryocore » February 12th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Whereas my issues with the "Collectors Edition" is it's lack of comparative collectibility. Oh and we know exactly what's in it, we just don't know the quality of those items.

I don't wish to "harm" inXile either, but I certainly am not about to give them a free pass either.

A bunch of valueless digital dross is not good enough. Partially because it demonstrates that you can dismiss your backers and then buy them off for literally nothing.

Sorry, that will not float.

barbarian_bros
Initiate

Post by barbarian_bros » February 13th, 2017, 3:45 am

-Wasteland 2 retail 'Ranger Edition' contained the OST CD backers could not get in any reward tier nor as addons
-Torment Tides of Numenera retail CE contains stuff backers could not get in any reward tier nor as addons

I guess it would be the same for Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3 (2 other games I've backed at CE level tier).
Then, as Brian Fargo said 'help me to make the games I want without publisher, and if you help me at high level, I'll give you exclusive stuff" then he allowed publishers to sell better exclusive stuff (at a lower cost)...
Wasteland 3 is then the last inXile game I will support as a backer.

At least the Pillars of Eternity Collector Edition Obsidian has offered to its backers was really what I call a Collector Edition with exclusive content... and they haven't insulted their backers with a better retail CE with additional content for a lower cost.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 14th, 2017, 9:57 pm

RadonGOG wrote: I contacted them due to this posting: viewtopic.php?p=179430#p179430
Hi Radon!
I contacted Inxile with the support page on Sunday and also asked for a compensation with digital rewards, but until now i have gotten no answer.
Did you get any confirmation email that your support ticket was received?
Because i wrote everything down, with the right email adress, but got no confirmation that my support-thingie got there.

And thanks for your help and answer.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 15th, 2017, 12:21 am

Godfather101 wrote:
RadonGOG wrote: I contacted them due to this posting: viewtopic.php?p=179430#p179430
Hi Radon!
I contacted Inxile with the support page on Sunday and also asked for a compensation with digital rewards, but until now i have gotten no answer.
Did you get any confirmation email that your support ticket was received?
Because i wrote everything down, with the right email adress, but got no confirmation that my support-thingie got there.

And thanks for your help and answer.
I was surprised as well that no confirmation email has been send to me. Answer took around a day...
...it was Sear who answered, so I´d suggest PMing him if you don´t get an answer in the coming days.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 15th, 2017, 1:22 am

okay, i'll do that.
Thanks for the help RadonGOG.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 17th, 2017, 10:35 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand everything worked out.
Also got my digital rewards.
Thanks to Sear and all people at Inxile.
And also for Radon for making me aware of this.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 18th, 2017, 6:25 am

Godfather101 wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaand everything worked out.
(...)
Nice to hear! :D

Naurgalen
Initiate

Post by Naurgalen » February 19th, 2017, 5:34 pm

As some others said this kind of things ruin the trust one gives to a dev even if it doesn't affects you directly. And trust is one of the most valued things a brand can have.

cryocore
Acolyte

Post by cryocore » April 2nd, 2017, 5:08 pm

So all my fears have proven true. Not only is my CE damaged, but its VASTLY inferior to the Techland edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc6wlqVHLr4

Same Art Book, same manual. ACTUAL game case (not cardboard slip crap), Actual packing materials!! We got none which is why the gut of our boxes are messed up!
Plus the physical items. The only thing we have which is "better" is the box and the map. Every single thing in the Techland version is better!

So we really got shat on by these pricks.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 2nd, 2017, 6:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwufEyB3nw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exq19AYExU
Unboxing the Kickstarter edition.

I like the look of that map, as a product, and as an image; although the actual landscape image of it seems awfully mundane for a Planescape sequel IMO. (But I've not seen anything of the Numenera setting before; so perhaps it looks appropriate to the game world.)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 2nd, 2017, 8:19 pm

Gizmo wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 6:26 pm
I like the look of that map, as a product, and as an image; although the actual landscape image of it seems awfully mundane for a Planescape sequel IMO. (But I've not seen anything of the Numenera setting before; so perhaps it looks appropriate to the game world.)
It was done by the same artist who does the official Numenera maps, Christopher West: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tor ... -prefix=de

Atsuico
Novice

Post by Atsuico » April 2nd, 2017, 9:57 pm

cryocore wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 5:08 pm
So all my fears have proven true. Not only is my CE damaged, but its VASTLY inferior to the Techland edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc6wlqVHLr4

Same Art Book, same manual. ACTUAL game case (not cardboard slip crap), Actual packing materials!! We got none which is why the gut of our boxes are messed up!
Plus the physical items. The only thing we have which is "better" is the box and the map. Every single thing in the Techland version is better!

Yea what happened to the better manual we were supposedly getting?

KorganBloodAxe
Novice

Post by KorganBloodAxe » April 2nd, 2017, 11:01 pm

cryocore wrote:
The only thing we have which is "better" is the box and the map. Every single thing in the Techland version is better!

The two most important parts (box and map) are vastly better. I would say the cardboard cd case is intentional and I prefer it cardboard i.e. as per the original US Planescape (Eur was plastic). I am very happy with what I got. The only things that are "missing" are the statue and keyring. As a collector I would definitely prefer the kickstarter edition due to the box. If you were to compare the Torment CE with the PoE CE there is no doubt the Torment copy is superior.

I would also say the "We" that you keep talking about = "A small subset of customers". Pretty much every un-boxing I've seen the people are very happy with what they have got - in fact some are even saying it will be likely be the best un-boxing of 2017. It actually sounds like you are hung up on the statue still. The funny thing is the statue wasn't even that good.

cryocore
Acolyte

Post by cryocore » April 3rd, 2017, 12:35 am

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 11:01 pm
cryocore wrote:
The only thing we have which is "better" is the box and the map. Every single thing in the Techland version is better!

The two most important parts (box and map) are vastly better. I would say the cardboard cd case is intentional and I prefer it cardboard i.e. as per the original US Planescape (Eur was plastic). I am very happy with what I got. The only things that are "missing" are the statue and keyring. As a collector I would definitely prefer the kickstarter edition due to the box. If you were to compare the Torment CE with the PoE CE there is no doubt the Torment copy is superior.

I would also say the "We" that you keep talking about = "A small subset of customers". Pretty much every un-boxing I've seen the people are very happy with what they have got - in fact some are even saying it will be likely be the best un-boxing of 2017. It actually sounds like you are hung up on the statue still. The funny thing is the statue wasn't even that good.
A piece of advice before you even think to comment. Don't you dare to assume you know someone is thinking, or what their motivations are.
This has nothing at all to do with the Statue. So stop trying to make this something else.

This is about the quality of the end product.
Cheap badly aligned cardboard sleeve - Budget and not worthy of a collectors edition. The fact its card is not the issue. The low budget shitty quality is.
"better" journal? Smells like bullshit to me. The one I have here is a flimsy waste of time and not even close to the quality of a game manual for this type of game.
The interior is utter garbage and provides ZERO support (and yet the Techland version has foam inserts to ensure stability)

Sear said there was an agreement that the Techland version could not be better. Is it. That is undeniable FACT.
Hell, even the "cloth" map isn't even cloth but some cheap nasty synthetic garbage.

Best unboxing of 2017? What a joke, and now I know exactly what you are. I own multiple CE's and this is by far the cheapest, laziest and poorly manufactured crap I have ever received. It's a joke and is unacceptable.

As for the statue. I've held one and its more than fine. Its certainly better quality than anything I've received, but not the point at all. The issue is the cheap as shit I have been sent. Its an insult, and that their corner cutting bullshit has meant the exterior and interior are trashed is the last straw.

So Sear, where is you comment on this. Or are you too ashamed to fess up to your lies, and the fact your company has treated your (previously) loyal higher tier backers like garbage?

KorganBloodAxe
Novice

Post by KorganBloodAxe » April 3rd, 2017, 1:43 am

cryocore wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 12:35 am
A piece of advice before you even think to comment. Don't you dare to assume you know someone is thinking, or what their motivations are.
This has nothing at all to do with the Statue. So stop trying to make this something else.
Fair enough, and apologies. And btw it was not me referring to best unboxing of 2017, it was one youtube video in this thread and another video I watched that was also on youtube. I would definitely say it is subjective though, as for me this collectors edition is vastly superior than the Techland version due to the box and map. I wouldn't trade it even if there was an option.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 3rd, 2017, 2:33 am

sear wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 8:19 pm
It was done by the same artist who does the official Numenera maps, Christopher West:
What more could one ask. 8-)

Atsuico
Novice

Post by Atsuico » April 3rd, 2017, 9:18 am

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 11:01 pm
This is double edged, while there are some happy people, there seems to be an equal number of unhappy people. Many I know who purchased this were not satisfied with the contents. However while unhappy, they like myself are busy people who barely have the time to manage their daily lives, let alone take said time to come onto a forum and vent about their dissatisfaction when it won't amount to anything. They have accepted the fact that the product wasn't up to par and they were not compensated properly for their donation and will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

Many of the unboxing I see are also very young people who (not to sound arrogant) don't necessarily have the same recognition of value that a more prudent individual does. This is apparent in much of society where people hand out 5 star reviews just because a product does what it's supposed to. I am also not hung up on the statue or keychain as I find them childish, however I was expecting a box and package with a more high-end feel.

If you itemize the contents you are left with:
A game cd (that isn't even standalone so I don't think it counts as a full retail game) that is a couple dollars.
An art book, that would be printed even at small quantity for maybe $10 a book.
A manual that is very cheap and basic and maybe a few dollars.
A map that is printed on a rather inexpensive material, and it is a rather low quality image that is printed; again maybe $10
Plus a CD which is again a few dollars.

Now even if you add labor these were produced in a relatively large quantity and most of this material was already designed for digital distribution with the game. Therefore even if you use the full retail price of $50 for the game you're still only talking about $75-$80 worth of product. Is the broken box I received really worth $75?