TToN post-launch support is a joke

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

dziki
Initiate

TToN post-launch support is a joke

Post by dziki » September 16th, 2018, 2:56 am

I'm sorry InXile, I'm a big fan of people who worked on this project, but what you did after the release is a joke. It has been over a year and a half since the release, and:
  • Ashen Imitation still can break completely if you talk to NPCs in a "wrong" order, blocking you from, you know, only the most imporant sidequest in the entire game
  • UI is still broken with random elements glitching out or disappearing at random
  • The Oom dialogue with Tybir is accessible even before you've met Oom himself
And those are bugs just from, what, first 4-5 maps of the game?

And yet here they are - easily noticeable by a player, let alone by a company that's supposed to have a QA department. Which leads me to believe that you're aware of those major issues, but just chose to ignore them, despite the fact that they're clearly hampering the gameplay experience (especially the Ashen Imitation one - it's insane that a logic issue in such a big and important quest has been just ignored). If that's true, screw you, you deserve TToN being the flop that it was.

Compare this pathetic post-launch support to Pillars of Eternity 1, which had its last patch this January. They have been supporting their game for three years, while you've released three patches.

You've made fun of AAA publishers in your Kickstarter videos for not giving a fuck about the fans, but you're the same. Get in, get money, get out.

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: TToN post-launch support is a joke

Post by kilobug » September 17th, 2018, 3:39 am

I agree we deserve at least one last patch for TToN with fixes for the few known quest-breaking bugs.

But I disagree with your assessment about "you're aware of those major issues, but just chose to ignore them" at release time. RPGs, especially highly-reactive and non-linear ones like TToN are hell to test. They suffer from what we call in maths "combinatorial explosion". There are so many different things you can do, in so many different orders, with so many parameters that it's just plainly impossible to test everything in a reasonable timeframe, so we are very likely to have a few "if you do things in the wrong order it breaks".

But sure, that's why patches are for, and a game with the complexity and richness of TToN definitely requires a longer post-production support than it received. I understand inXile being a business and TToN being a commercial flop, but such a piece of art deserves more love than it got, and we fans who supported it since KS time also do ;)

dziki
Initiate

Post by dziki » September 17th, 2018, 10:53 am

kilobug wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 3:39 am
But I disagree with your assessment about "you're aware of those major issues, but just chose to ignore them" at release time.
Yeah, I meant right now. Even if they weren't aware of those issues before the release there's no way they're not aware of them now.

Although the Oom thing' is like dialogue scripting 101... Check whether the companion is present before you can mention him. Most likely it requires literally just copy-pasting one condition and putting Oom's ID inside.
I understand inXile being a business and TToN being a commercial flop, but such a piece of art deserves more love than it got, and we fans who supported it since KS time also do ;)
Exactly. If they really cared about the fans and about the project, they would fix at least the major quests, even if it's a net loss for the company. They lost the right to play the "it's just business" card after making the WL2 and Torment kickstarter videos. They claimed that they really cared, but when push came to shove, they broke our trust over and over again.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » September 18th, 2018, 1:24 pm

On top of that the games engine (Unity) gets upgraded over the years. This progress should be integrated into TToN as well. Things that could be realized right now are shorter loading times due to more RAM being utilized, better AntiAlising for the RealTimeModels (latest version features quite a nice TAA-solution, SSAA should also be integrated) and of course just better performance on CPU-limited machines.

Of course InXile isn´t the only one that should dive into this topic, Obsidian should also do a Tech-Revisit of PillE and Tyranny.

Edit: It would also be very nice if InXile could bring TToN to the NintendoSwitch. Not that I´d care personally, but I do care for the switch users out there. And this would also be another reason to resume patch support!