Can you sub-licence Tides of Numenera sequel to Obsidian?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Firkraag
Adventurer

Can you sub-licence Tides of Numenera sequel to Obsidian?

Post by Firkraag » May 26th, 2018, 12:08 pm

They seem like having the best of times with sequels of anything.

You can even borrow them your artists and designers...
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Mygaffer
Initiate

Re: Can you sub-licence Tides of Numenera sequel to Obsidian?

Post by Mygaffer » May 27th, 2018, 12:36 am

Do devs feel like this is lowkey a dig at them when fans request this kind of stuff? Kind of like, "I think these guys can do it better."

I wonder if anyone at Bethesda felt that way about New Vegas, Obsidian and fan love of that game.

Obsidian have put out some really great games. I feel like we haven't gotten that great game out of Inxile yet in the crowd funded era.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 27th, 2018, 3:19 am

Firkraag wrote:
May 26th, 2018, 12:08 pm
They seem like having the best of times with sequels of anything.

You can even borrow them your artists and designers...
Well both Obsidian and inXile are very competent to me, and I wouldn't care which one does a TTON sequel (or another Nuemenera CRPG) as long as one is done. But saddly, with the limited commercial success or TTON, I fear no one will - Obsidian does sequel (or spiritual successor) of successful games, they are a business after all.
Mygaffer wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 12:36 am
Obsidian have put out some really great games. I feel like we haven't gotten that great game out of Inxile yet in the crowd funded era.
I disagree with that - both have made very great games IMHO. Wasteland 2 and TTON were awesome RPGs, and so were PoE2 and Tyranny (I'm not that fond of Fallout: NV it feels way too much as a shooter to me, and PoE1 was a bit too tedious at points, but still a good game).

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » May 27th, 2018, 4:59 am

My IMHO is that Wasteland 2 is pretty 'meh'. Story and writing were pretty weak and combat - the only more or less decent feature - wasn't enough to grab me.

The Tides of Numenera is a flawed, priceless gem. In a lot of ways, I can see the seeds of a great game in it, like in first Pillars of Eternity. There were a lot of things done right in TToN.

But inXile wouldn't bother to fix it... Obsidian has a long history of treating licenced IPs with respect. And they clearly have more experience working with isometric RPGs. And willing to improve upon their miscalculations, evidently. inXile can sub-licence to them. Make a joint project. Literally anything else, other than laying all that work to waste. That just doesn't sit well with me.

You can criticize me or challenge my assumptions, but this is how I feel about this. Just grumb- I mean rambling.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None