Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

RadonGOG
Scholar

Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

Postby RadonGOG » January 12th, 2017, 12:23 am

Back then I was sure you´ve made the retail Steam only, but when I tried to find the place where it was clearly stated I wasn´t able to find it again.
So, did I simply read something wrong the first time? Or didn´t I, but you already adressed the issue?
In any case, it would be good to clear things up, as many wouldn´t be happy to find out that the game they´ve funded would end up being exclusive for a single platform without a reason...

Just for the record, this was my last post concerning the topic:
You´ve made the Retail-Version Steam-Only, which is an absurd step for folks doing an oldschool game. A good comparision would be to let somebody buy an EV in a bundle with a NuclearPowerContract. Yes, there would be an amount of customers who wouldn´t be upset about this, but even these understand why the rest is quite upset about it. And of course they wouldn´t mind if there´d be a choice between a NuclearPowerContract and something else. Pretty much the same for this game. Oh, and BTW: This is the second time you are doing this, Wasteland II got the same problem.( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16915&start=40#p178313)

Tuth
Novice

Re: Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

Postby Tuth » January 12th, 2017, 2:32 am

I would be very happy if the retail boxed version wasn't steam-only. In some cases there's no information at all, whether the game is steam version, or what. Maybe it's became obvious nowadays, which I don't like. Tyranny has that problem, the only boxed versions are steam-only without such info.

kaiman
Scholar

Postby kaiman » January 12th, 2017, 4:04 am

Yeah, clearly specifying the requirements (and Steam certainly counts as one) should be a given.

As for the merits of Steam in relation to old-school games like TToN, would you enjoy going back to keeping the DVD in your drive all the time in order to play? (And that was probably the least annoying "feature" of SecuROM and consorts!) ;-).

While I am not a fan of Steam myself, and avoid it for digital-only purchases, the one big advantage I see is that it gives me the opportunity to get a box and the Linux version of a game, both very important things for me. I do own boxed games that are both DRM-free and come with Linux binaries, but I can number those on two fingers :-).

Gonchi
Initiate

Postby Gonchi » January 17th, 2017, 9:07 am

I'd rather not have copy protection or client at all, but if you're asking me to pick my poison, yes, I'd rather keep a disc in a drive than require Steam.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Postby RadonGOG » January 17th, 2017, 9:36 am

kaiman wrote:Yeah, clearly specifying the requirements (and Steam certainly counts as one) should be a given.

As for the merits of Steam in relation to old-school games like TToN, would you enjoy going back to keeping the DVD in your drive all the time in order to play? (And that was probably the least annoying "feature" of SecuROM and consorts!) ;-).

While I am not a fan of Steam myself, and avoid it for digital-only purchases, the one big advantage I see is that it gives me the opportunity to get a box and the Linux version of a game, both very important things for me. I do own boxed games that are both DRM-free and come with Linux binaries, but I can number those on two fingers :-).

Although I really dislike having DVDs in Boxed Editions, I´d also not recommend any Dev targeting for an OldSchoolAudience to drop them in general.
At least not without a replacement. A USB-Stick in a CE would be nice thing...
Regarding DRM: The choice between Disk-DRM and Activition-DRM would be hard, they are quite equally bad for me, but I don´t believe that´s mainstream. I guess more mainstream users usually only hate one of them,..

Return to “TTON: General Discussion [No Spoilers]”