Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

RadonGOG
Scholar

Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

Post by RadonGOG » January 12th, 2017, 12:23 am

Back then I was sure you´ve made the retail Steam only, but when I tried to find the place where it was clearly stated I wasn´t able to find it again.
So, did I simply read something wrong the first time? Or didn´t I, but you already adressed the issue?
In any case, it would be good to clear things up, as many wouldn´t be happy to find out that the game they´ve funded would end up being exclusive for a single platform without a reason...

Just for the record, this was my last post concerning the topic:
You´ve made the Retail-Version Steam-Only, which is an absurd step for folks doing an oldschool game. A good comparision would be to let somebody buy an EV in a bundle with a NuclearPowerContract. Yes, there would be an amount of customers who wouldn´t be upset about this, but even these understand why the rest is quite upset about it. And of course they wouldn´t mind if there´d be a choice between a NuclearPowerContract and something else. Pretty much the same for this game. Oh, and BTW: This is the second time you are doing this, Wasteland II got the same problem.( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16915&start=40#p178313)

Tuth
Novice

Re: Did you already fix the other major boxed problem?

Post by Tuth » January 12th, 2017, 2:32 am

I would be very happy if the retail boxed version wasn't steam-only. In some cases there's no information at all, whether the game is steam version, or what. Maybe it's became obvious nowadays, which I don't like. Tyranny has that problem, the only boxed versions are steam-only without such info.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » January 12th, 2017, 4:04 am

Yeah, clearly specifying the requirements (and Steam certainly counts as one) should be a given.

As for the merits of Steam in relation to old-school games like TToN, would you enjoy going back to keeping the DVD in your drive all the time in order to play? (And that was probably the least annoying "feature" of SecuROM and consorts!) ;-).

While I am not a fan of Steam myself, and avoid it for digital-only purchases, the one big advantage I see is that it gives me the opportunity to get a box and the Linux version of a game, both very important things for me. I do own boxed games that are both DRM-free and come with Linux binaries, but I can number those on two fingers :-).

Gonchi
Initiate

Post by Gonchi » January 17th, 2017, 9:07 am

I'd rather not have copy protection or client at all, but if you're asking me to pick my poison, yes, I'd rather keep a disc in a drive than require Steam.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » January 17th, 2017, 9:36 am

kaiman wrote:Yeah, clearly specifying the requirements (and Steam certainly counts as one) should be a given.

As for the merits of Steam in relation to old-school games like TToN, would you enjoy going back to keeping the DVD in your drive all the time in order to play? (And that was probably the least annoying "feature" of SecuROM and consorts!) ;-).

While I am not a fan of Steam myself, and avoid it for digital-only purchases, the one big advantage I see is that it gives me the opportunity to get a box and the Linux version of a game, both very important things for me. I do own boxed games that are both DRM-free and come with Linux binaries, but I can number those on two fingers :-).
Although I really dislike having DVDs in Boxed Editions, I´d also not recommend any Dev targeting for an OldSchoolAudience to drop them in general.
At least not without a replacement. A USB-Stick in a CE would be nice thing...
Regarding DRM: The choice between Disk-DRM and Activition-DRM would be hard, they are quite equally bad for me, but I don´t believe that´s mainstream. I guess more mainstream users usually only hate one of them,..

kachna96
Initiate

Post by kachna96 » January 28th, 2017, 7:40 am

So, any new info on this issue? I preordered boxed copy of TToN from local store but I'd very much like to activate it on GOG instead of Steam.
I know that backers can exchange their Steam code for GOG code, is there any chance I can do it as well?

Hunbaar
Initiate

Post by Hunbaar » January 30th, 2017, 4:51 pm

kachna96 wrote:So, any new info on this issue? I preordered boxed copy of TToN from local store but I'd very much like to activate it on GOG instead of Steam.
I know that backers can exchange their Steam code for GOG code, is there any chance I can do it as well?
What region are you in, if US which local store is this? I cannot find retail boxed copy of TToN in US region, it is not out-of-stock, just not "there." US distributor Techland (a Polish company I think) do not seem to be supplying PC retail releases as of now, but PS4 & XB1 pre-orders are open. I am so confused...

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » January 30th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Techland should just send us a community representative (on Steam, on Reddit, on Techland-hosted Torment forums, wherever), just so we can ask them about this stuff directly. Currently we need to keep petitioning inXile to relay a question to Techland, wait for them to get the answer, wait for them to post it, and then post our follow-up question, wait for them to read it, etc. etc.

Hunbaar
Initiate

Post by Hunbaar » January 30th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Serjo wrote:Techland should just send us a community representative (on Steam, on Reddit, on Techland-hosted Torment forums, wherever), just so we can ask them about this stuff directly. Currently we need to keep petitioning inXile to relay a question to Techland, wait for them to get the answer, wait for them to post it, and then post our follow-up question, wait for them to read it, etc. etc.
this is a bit ridiculous, I am willing to spend my cash on a game and pre-order it (something you should never do) but cannot even get a straight answer on where to find it.

PS:T was a PC game, made in US, I bought it and still have the box, now 18 years later you cannot even find the "successor"'s PC copy anywhere due to poor distribution schemes, I know it is not fair to compare, Interplay was a big distributor compared to Techland, but still ironic.

kachna96
Initiate

Post by kachna96 » January 31st, 2017, 7:07 am

What region are you in, if US which local store is this? I cannot find retail boxed copy of TToN in US region, it is not out-of-stock, just not "there." US distributor Techland (a Polish company I think) do not seem to be supplying PC retail releases as of now, but PS4 & XB1 pre-orders are open. I am so confused...
Europe.

SagaDC
Grandmaster

Post by SagaDC » January 31st, 2017, 7:28 am

From what I understand, the official word is that Techland is not offering the physical PC edition for Torment in the US. Aside from the Kickstarter version, I think the only way you can buy the PC version of the game is through digital channels.

Hunbaar
Initiate

Post by Hunbaar » January 31st, 2017, 10:05 pm

SagaDC wrote:From what I understand, the official word is that Techland is not offering the physical PC edition for Torment in the US. Aside from the Kickstarter version, I think the only way you can buy the PC version of the game is through digital channels.
sad.

just to put the discussion to rest, can you provide an official link or something? thanks.

SagaDC
Grandmaster

Post by SagaDC » January 31st, 2017, 10:11 pm

Hunbaar wrote:just to put the discussion to rest, can you provide an official link or something? thanks.
sear wrote:I followed up on this recently as I saw the question coming up here and there. Techland isn't doing PC retail in North America or Asia, only Europe.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17005&p=178947#p178947

Hunbaar
Initiate

Post by Hunbaar » January 31st, 2017, 10:20 pm

SagaDC wrote:
Hunbaar wrote:just to put the discussion to rest, can you provide an official link or something? thanks.
sear wrote:I followed up on this recently as I saw the question coming up here and there. Techland isn't doing PC retail in North America or Asia, only Europe.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17005&p=178947#p178947
weird.

fyi, amazon germany ships PC retail box to US, I'll go for that if all else fails.

willyum
Initiate

Post by willyum » February 3rd, 2017, 9:17 am

Count me as one of the many backers hoping that the physical edition I backed is not a Steam required game on disc. Hopefully inXile doesn't make the same mistake they did with Wasteland 2.

(For those who don't know, when physical discs of Wasteland 2 were sent to backers, many were dismayed to find that they required Steam. inXile ameliorated the situation by sending out DRM-free discs, so the issue was resolved.)

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » February 3rd, 2017, 10:34 am

The backer and retail boxed copies are both going to be Steam versions. That said, every single one of our backers who is getting a boxed copy also gets an additional digital version, and will be able to get the game DRM-free from GOG if they wish.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » February 3rd, 2017, 2:26 pm

Brother None wrote:The backer and retail boxed copies are both going to be Steam versions.
Will there be a way for backers to request a DRM-free disc like you did with Wasteland 2?

kachna96
Initiate

Post by kachna96 » February 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Oh well, it's a shame that retail boxed copies are Steam only but thanks for clearing things up. Looking forward to the release!

MrBuzzKill
Initiate

Post by MrBuzzKill » February 3rd, 2017, 10:27 pm

Are the physical copies included with the backer rewards Steam-only as well? WTF? I hope not!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » February 4th, 2017, 12:59 am

MrBuzzKill wrote:Are the physical copies included with the backer rewards Steam-only as well? WTF? I hope not!
All boxed copies are Steam-tied, including the backer ones.