will there be any edges in this game?

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
snakeoil
Adventurer

will there be any edges in this game?

Post by snakeoil » December 19th, 2012, 7:21 am

ok, there wont be kids to shoot. will there be other situations that can be considered edgy in any way? sexuality, nudity, religion, disabilities... anything that is a bold step out of the american violence only psychosis, anything that would have been impossible with conventional publishers? this is a game for adults isnt it?

RangerKeenan
Developer

Re: will there be any edges in this game?

Post by RangerKeenan » December 20th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Well, there are 3 legged hookers. The list of jokes that were spouted off during the table read was nothing short of amazing. A little taster... "Two crotches, no waiting!"

Sexuality, yes. Religion, yes. The game is most definitely mature. There weren't many issues that we stopped the writing team from tackling.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 20th, 2012, 6:01 pm

If you force edgy content into a video game it looses the point it was trying to make. Edgy content can't be forced, it has to follow a natural flow with the writing. Usually the writer doesn't realise the content is edgy until they see a reaction to it.

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » December 21st, 2012, 2:52 am

the post-apocalyptic setting is perfectly suited for edgy content, more than anything else. the lack of institutional morals and the right of the fist will, without a doubt, lead to perversion in multiple ways. as a game that adresses adult gamers of which many are 30+ and as one that has no publisher behind it, i think wildest edgy content would be highly appropriate.

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 21st, 2012, 5:28 am

I agree with snakeoil Wasteland would make a good place for edgy content. I personally would let the writers go unleashed when writing content for the game, but I understand the need for restraint.

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » December 21st, 2012, 7:50 am

I hope whatever "edgy" content there is is logical and reasonable. Putting random town full of rape just to get "mature" rating is bad. Putting a town with twisted morals and slavery and what not and exploring the results and player interaction is good.

tl;dr Edgy stuff for sake of being "edgy" is bad.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 21st, 2012, 1:30 pm

Mandemon wrote:I hope whatever "edgy" content there is is logical and reasonable. Putting random town full of rape just to get "mature" rating is bad. Putting a town with twisted morals and slavery and what not and exploring the results and player interaction is good.

tl;dr Edgy stuff for sake of being "edgy" is bad.
Very much agree with this. Putting 'edgy' (really sounds cliche to me) stuff in, just to make a statement is pointless. It needs to fit the story that inXile want to tell.

Granted, I was still a kid when I first played Wasteland, but I still consider a lot of the content to be geared towards a mature audience, even today. You had things like the option to kill children, opening fire on a police station, blowing up a hobo dog vendor, dealing with a blood cult that drain the blood of it's victims, and sleeping with a three legged prostitute and getting Wasteland herpes.

So, yeah as long as it fits the story I think we will see it in WL2.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm

have you ever seen a movie or played a game where you just had to roll your eyes at an edgy scene?
If you find yourself doing that then you might want to consider a rewrite.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » December 22nd, 2012, 12:24 am

There's nothing safer or more boring than the comedian or the writer or the artist or the whatever who tries to be "dangerous" or "edgy." If your work is "dangerous," it'll come out dangerous without any trouble. Forcing edginess makes it feel - you guessed it - forced.

If you want an example from the gaming world, look at the Postal series. If you're a teenager, it's fun for five minutes and funny for one. If you're an adult, it is neither, at any point. It's just boring and aimless, not to mention toothless in its satire. There's no thematic consistency or gravity to anything in the world; everything's there to be laughed at, but there's no context or logic to the humor, and the games are very clearly structured around the jokes, which only adds to the sense of weightlessness. It's just, "Ha ha, I am shooting midgets, and it is humorous because they are midgets!"

GTA is comparatively restrained if you go by sheer amount of "dirty" content, but its shocks feel far more shocking when they occur, because its shocks are ones that spring organically from the Rockstar sensibility. No character, no matter how outsized and cartoonish, is there simply as a joke or a curiosity, and not every moment in the game is meant to make you laugh. Brucie Kibbutz in GTAIV is not funny because Rockstar said "Let's make fun of people who use performance-enhancing drugs!" He's funny because he's an outlandish, absurd person who is nevertheless entirely believable.

Even Saints Row, as bizarre and absurd and dedicated to utter silliness and insanity as it is, still never violates its own absurd internal logic. It represents a concerted effort to go as far over the top as possible, yes, but it works, because all that insanity is built atop a solidly crafted foundation. There's none of Postal's pathetically desperate "Throw things at the wall and pray something gets on CNN" approach to comedy. There's an underlying structure and coherence to it. Very little feels out of place.

All of which is to say that true "edginess" in a video game does not come from the sheer amount of taboo-shattering content contained within it. It comes from the people working on the game talking frankly and intelligently about taboo subjects other games might shy away from. It comes from treating the player like an adult. It comes from challenging the player and making her uncomfortable. It comes from not letting the player rely on pat answers and/or black-and-white morality. It comes from telling the damn truth.

If that describes Wasteland 2, it'll be plenty edgy.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.