How much control will Ranger HQ have?

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Mandemon
Adventurer

How much control will Ranger HQ have?

Post by Mandemon » December 18th, 2012, 12:43 pm

How much will the party being Rangers affect the gameplay? Will the HQ be "Big Brother", constantly monitoring and expressing it's opinion? As such, is it possible for HQ to "discredit" Rangers who do not act like Rangers?

Colin McComb
Developer

Re: How much control will Ranger HQ have?

Post by Colin McComb » December 19th, 2012, 7:17 am

We certainly talked about reactivity from Ranger HQ. They'll check in on you after major events - perhaps something along the lines of, "We heard you just gunned down an entire town, including the dogs. Is that true? Turns out there was a survivor and she said it was you."

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » December 19th, 2012, 8:41 am

Good to hear that you have at least considered it. I would hate to see game, on this modern era, to simply say "You are member of Defenders of Justice!" then have no impact on the game world.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 19th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Colin McComb wrote:We certainly talked about reactivity from Ranger HQ. They'll check in on you after major events - perhaps something along the lines of, "We heard you just gunned down an entire town, including the dogs. Is that true? Turns out there was a survivor and she said it was you."
That still doesn't say what HQ would DO. Simply say, "Try not to do that again"? Yank their badges? Order them to return to HQ for trial/hearing? Put them on the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" list?
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 19th, 2012, 10:11 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:That still doesn't say what HQ would DO. Simply say, "Try not to do that again"? Yank their badges? Order them to return to HQ for trial/hearing? Put them on the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" list?
Can't expect them to tell us everything.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 19th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Drool wrote:
CaptainPatch wrote:That still doesn't say what HQ would DO. Simply say, "Try not to do that again"? Yank their badges? Order them to return to HQ for trial/hearing? Put them on the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" list?
Can't expect them to tell us everything.
They _could_ tell us if there are lines that Thou Shalt Not Cross. It's actually very simple: Will a party of Rangers that routinely engages in murder and mayhem be punished by HQ or not? The only reason I can think of for NOT telling us that answer now is because they don't want to deal with the screams and outrage that they WILL get regardless of what the answer is. I'm sure it looks quite appealing to wait until the game releases and it has become a fait accompli: "Too late to change it now; the game is already finished and released."

"Choose wisely."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 20th, 2012, 12:40 am

CaptainPatch wrote:They _could_ tell us if there are lines that Thou Shalt Not Cross. It's actually very simple: Will a party of Rangers that routinely engages in murder and mayhem be punished by HQ or not?
Yes.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 20th, 2012, 6:07 am

Drool wrote:
CaptainPatch wrote:They _could_ tell us if there are lines that Thou Shalt Not Cross. It's actually very simple: Will a party of Rangers that routinely engages in murder and mayhem be punished by HQ or not?
Yes.
It was certainly the impression I got from the reply....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Colin McComb
Developer

Post by Colin McComb » December 20th, 2012, 9:12 am

Woolfe wrote:
Drool wrote:
Yes.
We want to make this happen. But if you're going around and actively killing everyone and thus voiding the storyline, you should probably be aware that the story part of the game will end, and then it will just be fighting encounter after fighting encounter.

Temaperacl
Scholar

Post by Temaperacl » December 20th, 2012, 10:03 am

Colin McComb wrote:[...]We want to make this happen. But if you're going around and actively killing everyone and thus voiding the storyline, you should probably be aware that the story part of the game will end, and then it will just be fighting encounter after fighting encounter.
It may sound odd, but that response (and the mindset that it implies) is one of the favorite things of those I've seen so far in these responses.

Jack Dandy
Scholar

Post by Jack Dandy » December 20th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Colin McComb wrote: We want to make this happen. But if you're going around and actively killing everyone and thus voiding the storyline, you should probably be aware that the story part of the game will end, and then it will just be fighting encounter after fighting encounter.
Wouldn't it be cool if it wouldn't necassrily end the story, but simply put you on a path to a completely different ending? An "evil" one, I guess? Imagine, if you manage to fight off all the forces of Ranger HQ and throw the entire region into anarchy.

This could be cool, just as an option.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 20th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Colin McComb wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
We want to make this happen. But if you're going around and actively killing everyone and thus voiding the storyline, you should probably be aware that the story part of the game will end, and then it will just be fighting encounter after fighting encounter.
At the very minimum, I think that HQ would totally disavow the party as being renegades. But is that where HQ would stop? Former _Rangers_ being widely known as a party of cold-blooded murderers? If the Desert Rangers wanted to retain any kind of credibility, it would have to "clean house" with a vengeance. Send out another party of Rangers with a stack of "WANTED: Dead or Alive" posters and not return to base until the renegades had been totally and unquestionably "neutralized".

"Choose wisely."

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » December 20th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Yeah, that wasn't really an answer. Let me put this way:

Can I complete the game in such way, that does not include player being (active) member of Rangers? Is there any change to game for going against Ranger Code? If I keep all plot critical NCP alive, but murder everyone else, will the game still continue as it always does, apart from "Bad boy" from HQ when I call for promotion?

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Maybe the question should be what are the consequences of negative and/or socially unacceptable actions that Ranger Center may not approve of?

I vote for demotions when you radio in. :twisted:

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Mandemon wrote:Yeah, that wasn't really an answer. Let me put this way:

Can I complete the game in such way, that does not include player being (active) member of Rangers? Is there any change to game for going against Ranger Code? If I keep all plot critical NCP alive, but murder everyone else, will the game still continue as it always does, apart from "Bad boy" from HQ when I call for promotion?
This strikes me as doubtful. It seems to me that the party was "taken off the case" and thereafter is essentially playing a sandbox game.

"Choose wisely."

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » December 20th, 2012, 4:23 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:
Mandemon wrote:Yeah, that wasn't really an answer. Let me put this way:

This strikes me as doubtful. It seems to me that the party was "taken off the case" and thereafter is essentially playing a sandbox game.
So what would happen if you lose a party member? Gone forever, can't replace since Ranger HQ is not sending reinforcements? So once you get "discredited", you are pretty much playing until you die, with no chance to get new recruits.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 20th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Mandemon wrote:So what would happen if you lose a party member? Gone forever, can't replace since Ranger HQ is not sending reinforcements? So once you get "discredited", you are pretty much playing until you die, with no chance to get new recruits.
Like the original, I imagine that there will always be some reachable location where the player can replace casualties or swap out old for new. Might have to make the long trek back to HQ. Or more possibly, Radio HQ and ask for a replacement to be dropped off via helicopter in your vicinity. But getting replacements is not at all like the situation of an entire party going renegade. If you want to continue playing THAT party, the only interaction with the Desert Rangers would be active Rangers trying to bring in your bodies for the reward.

"Choose wisely."

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 3rd, 2013, 9:01 am

I like the idea of the player being given the option to kill everyone in the game-world, even if it means killing story-essential NPC's that make it impossible to finish the game. It's difficult to explain but it shows respect to the player and an expectation that they think about their actions. That you can be given complete freedom in the game, including the freedom to screw things up for yourself completely. The idea of unkillable story-essential NPC's strikes me as terribly static.

But also, I loved how in the original Wasteland how you could trek back to the Ranger HQ and get new rangers if some members of your party died, the idea of the HQ constantly sending out rangers out is cool.

Probably out of the scope of this project, but the idea of the HQ declaring your party "rogue" for committing too many evil acts would be nifty, even bounty-hunters turning up in random encounters due to it.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » January 5th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Crosmando wrote:Probably out of the scope of this project, but the idea of the HQ declaring your party "rogue" for committing too many evil acts would be nifty, even bounty-hunters turning up in random encounters due to it.
I really don't think that would be much out of scope. If you rub your HQ the wrong way (i.e. irrevocably jeopardise your mission), it only makes sense that you get outlawed and from then on cease to be part of the Desert Rangers. It would be funny, though, if there was a secondary, minor plot that unfolds in case you choose to continue playing, and has you encounter a few more events as the Guardians finally take over.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » January 5th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Colin McComb wrote:We certainly talked about reactivity from Ranger HQ. They'll check in on you after major events - perhaps something along the lines of, "We heard you just gunned down an entire town, including the dogs. Is that true? Turns out there was a survivor and she said it was you."
So if i execute the job without any mistakes (not letting anyone alive) the Ranger HQ will never know? ;)
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"