Shooting children ingame

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Shooting children ingame

Post by Woolfe » December 25th, 2012, 4:53 am

Hey we got our r18+ rating finally. Coming into effect next year in fact.
Bout bloody time too
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 25th, 2012, 5:58 am

I think we are talking at cross-purposes.

I dont care for this kind of violence. Invincible children in WL2 would even have my support.

The devs just sounded like the game wouldnt feature juveniles and children at all- which I think is a step in the wrong direction.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » December 25th, 2012, 6:34 am

Woolfe wrote:Hey we got our r18+ rating finally. Coming into effect next year in fact.
Bout bloody time too
Nice to hear, i didn't know that it finally happened, let's hope retailers will take it kindly and it won't become a no go for publishers.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » January 6th, 2013, 3:42 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote: We don't have any kids in the design that you can shoot so we don't have to remove that feature.
That does make curious to what has become of Highpool, since it was populated almost exclusively by children.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » January 6th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Ronin73 wrote:
DarkTwinkie wrote: We don't have any kids in the design that you can shoot so we don't have to remove that feature.
That does make curious to what has become of Highpool, since it was populated almost exclusively by children.
They grew up, of course :lol:

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » January 6th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Mandemon wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:
Well yeah, but I was referring more to the location than the inhabitants. I could have been clearer, I guess.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Rudolf
Initiate

Post by Rudolf » January 6th, 2013, 6:18 pm

So what's the current deal with children in WL2? Will they not be there or simply invincible.

Why not at least have children in the game, but not attached to any quests and make them attackable. That way, you can easily remove children in countries that are likely to disallow them, and keep them in countries that oppose no problem. I live in quite a tolerant country so I'd love to see the game as complete as possible. I'm not asking for a child-killing spree, but would really like to see them ingame for the sake of realism, giving me the feeling the environment is complete.

And if I do have to choose between invincibility or removal of children alltogether, I'd rather see them gone than something ridiculous as godlike children.

And I also agree about what is being said about restrictions these days. Banning certain games, movies, etc. are short-term solutions to a long term problem. We need to teach eachother about values, not ban everything that may seem harmful. Like mentioned, how long will it take before any violence in fictional items are banned as well?

Violence is something that is inside of us humans and will always be there, you can't remove it by banning video games. There will always be lunatics who are born with the wrong strings of DNA, we can't help that. And those cases you hear where kids claim they copied violence from GTA games might as well be false, whispered in their ears by their parents, to simply pass on the blame to someone else so the parents are off the hook.

It's never fiction that makes people kill, it's their real actual lives.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 6th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Mandemon wrote:They grew up, of course :lol:
Bobby went psycho and killed them all.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » January 7th, 2013, 2:50 am

But talking about such an event ingame is as bad as having children in a game! :O /irony

I just hope they wont present an adult-only wasteland...regardless of how youth will be presented.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss

Mandemon
Adventurer

Post by Mandemon » January 7th, 2013, 4:39 am

Ronin73 wrote:
Mandemon wrote:
Ronin73 wrote: That does make curious to what has become of Highpool, since it was populated almost exclusively by children.
Well yeah, but I was referring more to the location than the inhabitants. I could have been clearer, I guess.
Well then, kids grew up and... live there? Seriously, what are you expecting? Desert town?

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » January 7th, 2013, 9:15 am

I'm on the side of no children at all in-game, if the alternative is invincible children. Little Lamplight annoyed the piss out of me in Fallout 3. On top of sometimes really wanting to off some of the more obnoxious kids and not being able to, the entire concept is not one that's logically sustainable. How do they maintain their population, aside from new kids occasionally wandering in from elsewhere?

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

BlackGauntlet
Explorer

Post by BlackGauntlet » January 9th, 2013, 1:10 am

I'm on the side of no children at all too. Instead, we will have little 500-year-old aliens that look, act, think and talk exactly like children. Which we have no trouble killing.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » January 9th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Mandemon wrote: Well then, kids grew up and... live there? Seriously, what are you expecting? Desert town?
If I had any expectation, I wouldn't be curious in the first place. Maybe the Red Ryder finally got fed up with the place and indeed turned it into a desert :roll:

Sheesh, way to nitpick over a simple comment.

Brian Fargo

Ryan Keokuk
Initiate

Post by Ryan Keokuk » March 15th, 2013, 9:46 pm

The only way I think you could kill children is through implied killing, a town blowing up or raiders sacking a town through your inaction or something along those lines.

I don't think that would be too far fetched narrative-wise or too far for audiences, this is an adult landscape. That way you can still establish *hate-able* child characters where you imply that bad things happen to them, sending Mugzy's gang of cultists who sacrifice virgins to their neck of the woods etc.

You have to address it in the same way people addressed boobs in the olden days, just a hint of nip.

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » March 16th, 2013, 2:01 am

Golden age is over. There is censorship and idiots who get offended by everything around every corner now.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 16th, 2013, 10:21 am

Yuri wrote:Golden age is over. There is censorship and idiots who get offended by everything around every corner now.
I'd say, "ain't it the truth"... but someone might take offense at the word "ain't". :roll:

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » March 17th, 2013, 5:04 am

He is right though, we shouldn´t have had the need for this discussion from the start. :?

Devean
Initiate

Post by Devean » March 17th, 2013, 1:24 pm

McDougle wrote:He is right though, we shouldn´t have had the need for this discussion from the start. :?
Ditto.

IF the devs are going to put anything very controversial into the game, they won't be doing it just for the kicks, but – I'm more than certain – it will have a very strong justification in the story. After all, this is a mature game for mature people. Choices and consequences will be tough.
The avalanche has started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote...

http://www.translatikos.com

klei
Initiate

Post by klei » March 24th, 2013, 5:19 am

I hate censorship... I hate politics on it... and I hate censorship. Did I mention censorship? I hate it so much. It ruined so many comics, books, movies, games and other stuff already :( I will never understand these over protective people... if a child is raised properly by their parents than it does not matter what cruelties are allowed for them to be seen... they will end up being "proper" adults.

I want to see children in the game... to see a mother protecting her own child whatever the cost... pushing a friend off the cliff so that the mutant gopher has something to chew on while she can get away with a son is so probable to happen in a wasteland setting... or a mother suffocating her own child in terrified shock that the beasts would hear the child cry which would attract a fatal encounter (reference to Tom Selleck's Quigley Down Under).

Do you think monsters have no offsprings? How do you know you are not murdering an innocent little baby mutant when you slaughter a blood sausage just because it is ugly and it might get even bigger when it grows up completely? How do you know that a 10 feet tall mutant is an adult? Maybe its a giant's son! Lets ban monsters in game cause they also have or had a mother once... pfff...

There shall be unprotected sick children like there was in fallout, jagged alliance and all great titles...

MJFERN
Acolyte

Post by MJFERN » July 31st, 2013, 12:44 pm

I love seeing these threads and reminding myself that sometimes my 9 year-old has a better grasp on the difference between reality and fiction/make-believe/video games/movies than the 'elected officials' making laws on what we can and can't see.