Shooting children ingame

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
4Aces
Acolyte

Re: Shooting children ingame

Post by 4Aces » October 28th, 2013, 5:09 pm

You want kids? I can mod that.

I will give you David's. :twisted:
Outlaws, Blood Cultists, Killer Robots, Bomb Worshippers, and now Cyborg Robotnappers! What next?

The Doctor
Scholar

Post by The Doctor » October 29th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Oh yeah, I remember with the waves of Davids, that scene was creepy.
If I remember correctly Wasteland did have a baby with a machine gun also. :twisted:

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » October 31st, 2013, 1:31 am

May be, but that 'kid' had Syndrome X, so it could legally buy that machine gun.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » October 31st, 2013, 1:47 am

The teddy bear was the brains behind the whole operation!
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

clearer
Scholar

Post by clearer » December 3rd, 2013, 7:50 pm

4Aces wrote:You want kids? I can mod that.

I will give you David's. :twisted:
Awesome.

Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin » December 21st, 2013, 8:28 am

I m kinda astonished by the stupidty of the mass hysteria. And frustrated by how big of a pushovers game developpers are.

Killable kids in a game are not what make a game world real and interesting. That the players are sick people is not the fault of the developer of that game.

If you don't want to put kids in a game, then do it because you have a good game design reason for it and not because you want to follow the other sheep or because you re afraid. Look at the unkillable kids in Bethesda's version of "Fallout". That kids camp in Fallout 3 blocking my path when I had a bazooka in my pocket was the reason I will never buy a Bethesda game ever again, one of the most horrible game design choices I had encountered in a game. Fallout was supposed to be grey and dark with people surviving (situation more like mad max movies or even worse kinds of grey comparable to the plane crash that forced a rugby team to cannibalism), and there it is turned into a kinder garden game ...

Imagine if the movie companies are such big pushovers, we d have even worse movies. We d never have some of our best movies, my favourite movie Pulp Fiction would never have been published. Quentin Tarantino would never have been able to make a career.

If you want to kill creativity, then you should listen to the hysterical people screeming at an image that isn't even real. You d make the same boring games everyone else is making.

One of the reasons I liked Fallout so much is because of that creativity and that originality. And the adult way they handled that problem, if you kill a kid you become a child killer and has in game effects.

You want the mood of the game to be survival & somethimes dark? You will need the in game factors that enable this, unkillable kids aint one of them.

You want to make a horrormovie? You don't make it in a "home alone" kind of movie with an unkillable kid ...

Another good example: Bioshock also has child killing in its game, yet it still was praised as one of the best games. In fact, the moral choice between killing a kid or not is what half of the game is about. Although I have to say that making childkilling the main aspect of your game is not what I m asking for, Bioshock is a pretty weird game in that aspect.
Last edited by Munin on December 22nd, 2013, 8:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
--------------------------------------------

"Yolanda!, its cool baby, its cool! Just point the gun at me!"

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 22nd, 2013, 3:30 am

As previously mentioned the dev's could do it, but the pain it would cause would likely not be worth it in the long run. They want to make games, not be martyr's to a cause, no matter how correct it is.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin » December 22nd, 2013, 7:30 am

I would suggest making a "kids with guns dlc" for 0 Dollar, the value we put on our creative rights

And buy this soundtrack from Gorillaz as its theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCkFSe3voRc
Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gorillaz ... hguns.html.

DLC with "mad children that grew up in an censorship dictatorship cult". The censorship & police state experience in the cult drove the children to madness. As a result the censorship dictatorship cult will ask you to kill them because they have turned to cannibalism to survive alone without censorship (there is a death penalty on canibalism in the "censorship dictatorship" cult).

You can also recruit them as child soldiers as a "solution". They still eat corpses though, even the corpses of your own partymembers (as they are still canibals). By recruiting them you will need to mass murder the cult out of existence as they will be hostile to you from the moment you recruit the child soldiers.

Or you can ignore both situations and pretend like it never happened to you and your party. You will get a "Etircopyh" medal (made out of Bronze) for doing this by a "mysterious stranger", this can be sold for $ 200 to the leader of the censorship & police state cult.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 29th, 2013, 3:22 am

Sorry to necro this thread. But I noticed that the "Juvies" in Highpool taunting Vulture's Cry, despite having portraits that look very young, have adult models,and it looks really weird. Is this a case of InXile just being ultra-careful so it doesn't look like you can kill children, or is it just incomplete content? I don't see why having early-teen models for the juvies would be a problem.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin » January 1st, 2014, 5:38 am

I hope either way they do do it, they make the in game world have some kind of credibility. The imortal children & silly children quests really ruined the credibility of every game I saw them in.

You can't just pick and choose what moral issues you ll get in the game and what not, it s the complete package that counts. I didn't know before but to me it had a profound impact on the credibility of a game, while they did put hookers & slavers into Fallout 3 it all wasn't credible as you had immortal children running arround. Even worse than that some of them you were forced to listen to as they talked you to death, if video games did bring people to violence I bet it is developpers like this who are responsible.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 1st, 2014, 7:05 am

Well it's juveniles, not children, so I don't see the problem, just use teenage models. I just thought it looked weird seeing all these middle-aged men standing around taunting and throwing rocks at Vulture's Cry and saying all these childish things

jpappas3
Scholar

Post by jpappas3 » January 1st, 2014, 10:46 am

Star Wars 4-6 had no children, at all, and yet were completely immersive and wonderful films. Star Wars 1-3 had tons of children, completely sucked, and could not engage my pity or sympathy even with rampant child massacre (wtf Lucas, 2 child massacres in your kids films?).

I could care less about realism if the game is good, story is solid.

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » January 3rd, 2014, 6:30 am

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 3rd, 2014, 7:10 pm

Those adult models and grunt sounds....