Are you having Fun?

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Are you having Fun?

Post by Woolfe » December 17th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Are you having Fun? :D

And does the perception that as one of the higher profile devs you must make this a real success else you might badly damage the whole Crowdfunding process, weigh heavily on any of you?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Snowdrifter
Developer

Re: Are you having Fun?

Post by Snowdrifter » December 18th, 2012, 8:12 am

I'm having a blast! Every morning I'm excited to start working.

I'm aware that Wasteland 2, along with a few of the other early big-name crowdfunded games, will be scrutinized by the community and weigh heavily on the future success of crowdfunding. I played the original Wasteland when it came out and was a Kickstarter backer before I had the opportunity to join the team, so I'm one of the lucky few who's been on both sides of the fence. However I love the Wasteland franchise and old school PC RPGs so the pressure I put on myself to help make Wasteland 2 a great game surpasses any other motivations.
Dan Jenkins
Engineer

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » December 18th, 2012, 8:56 am

Dont worry, the Wasteland game is history in the making. Simple as that.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

RangerKeenan
Developer

Post by RangerKeenan » December 18th, 2012, 9:27 am

Holy shit yes...on both accounts.

This is by far a high point in my gaming career, more so than starting in QA as a young 15 year old. Everything about this project and being a part of it is exciting personally and professionally for me.

And yes, the crowdfunding process wears extremely heavily on many of us. Our president Matt Findley and myself answered every private message that came through during the Kickstarter drive. It was a 12 hour a day job for 30+ days. During that time, we were constantly interfacing with the fans that put up their hard earned money to make this game happen. I personally fielded messages where people said they HAD to have a character in the game and were going to forego their car payment next month to do it. They'd figure it out later. Talk about pressure for us to deliver.

I think when you receive money from a publisher, there is a bit of a disconnect with the fans. You know who you're making the game for (somewhat) but don't get to know them personally. They're a demographic that will hopefully buy the game. With crowdfunding, we are daily immersed with the people who the game is for...and you guys can be a tough crowd! ;)

Also, many eyes are on us. You are right. Being one of the higher profile projects on Kickstarter, that adds a good amount of stress. It's a double edged sword. On one hand, it's awesome to see the game in the press. On the other, I think there are a good amount of people looking for us to fail. We put our nuts on the table for this project. I'd bet there are many publishers and some press that are looking to broadcast how horribly everyone was duped by some of the large crowdfunding projects. We know that if things go sideways, it can potentially hurt many other smaller creative developers and their ability to get funding through Kickstarter in the future. On that note, it's a hell of a motivator for us. I think it's natural to be pushed harder when there is more on the line.

So...looking back at the wall of text, this was quite therapeutic. Who should I send the bill to?
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » December 18th, 2012, 9:45 am

Crowdfunded.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

Joby
Developer

Post by Joby » December 18th, 2012, 10:05 am

I'm having an absolute blast. I wake up excited to go to work. That's just a great feeling. :mrgreen:
- Joby
inXile's ruthless Leader of Scripters

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 18th, 2012, 12:34 pm

I can only imagine the pressure put on you guy's with this game to still have a good time while making it is admirable. I would be stressed out and losing sleep every day during Wastelands development.

RangerKeenan
Developer

Post by RangerKeenan » December 18th, 2012, 1:02 pm

sparkee666 wrote:I can only imagine the pressure put on you guy's with this game to still have a good time while making it is admirable. I would be stressed out and losing sleep every day during Wastelands development.
Oh, that happens as well. I know I am always thinking about the game. I constantly send myself emails when I'm not at work because something popped into my head. There have been multiple times where I've been up at 4am and instantly start thinking about the game and can't go back to sleep. Might as well head into the office at that point.

I think many of the long term game industry guys tend to have a bit of a masochistic streak to them. It's a punishing and tough industry, but very rewarding as well.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 18th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Always try to be one of the nice fans... and try to only provide constructive criticism. And still try get in ideas everywhere I can. :P

Im trying to support the new Shadowrun devs the same way. :P
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » December 18th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Glad you're having fun! (and not just worrying) :)
it's pretty exciting to follow the development of a game that really wants to be made
- especially when both the devs and fans want it to be made, as well :D
marmelade & jam

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 8:08 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:I personally fielded messages where people said they HAD to have a character in the game and were going to forego their car payment next month to do it. They'd figure it out later.
And I thought I was an insane fan...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

DragonBerg
Developer

Post by DragonBerg » December 20th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Having fun? That would be a yes! As an artist I am very satisfied. Fargo is not a bad guy to work for either;)
Josh Jertberg
Lead Animator

Sharkey
Acolyte

Post by Sharkey » December 20th, 2012, 2:05 pm

DragonBerg wrote:Having fun? That would be a yes! As an artist I am very satisfied. Fargo is not a bad guy to work for either;)
How does a typical day go for you? Do you have a list of things you need to draw out all the time, or do you have some freedom to go nuts on any idea you have?

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » December 20th, 2012, 4:02 pm

personally, this has been an eye opening experience for me, and yes, it's been great fun.

interacting with the fans and backers on this project has been something i never really considered before. usually it's just "make game, send it to publisher, see it on shelf, check for reviews". so the opportunity to get feedback from the very people that are going to play it is amazing, and i sincerely hope this is not the last time i get to do this sort of thing.

thanks to you all for getting so involved!
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

DragonBerg
Developer

Post by DragonBerg » December 20th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Sharkey wrote:
DragonBerg wrote:Having fun? That would be a yes! As an artist I am very satisfied. Fargo is not a bad guy to work for either;)
How does a typical day go for you? Do you have a list of things you need to draw out all the time, or do you have some freedom to go nuts on any idea you have?
I have to work within the framework of the game design, but the creative interpretation of that in terms of animation, I have tons of freedom.

Also I agree with my buddy Koy, the interaction with the fans before and during this production has been very new but refreshing.
Josh Jertberg
Lead Animator

Rat_Herder
Initiate

Post by Rat_Herder » December 20th, 2012, 5:43 pm

I know I'm having a blast! Couldn't ask to work with a greater group of people. Plus, designing and making cool shit all day can't be that bad at all. ;)
Phillip Dickenson
Artist

Colin McComb
Developer

Post by Colin McComb » December 20th, 2012, 7:30 pm

I... what's that, Mr. Fargo? MASTER! OW! MASTER Fargo, I'm sorry!

Yes. Yes, I am having fu-

Is he gone?

SOMEONE HELP ME OH GOD

Hyaon
Acolyte

Post by Hyaon » December 21st, 2012, 11:50 am

Smacking everyone with an inflatable hammer no doubt!

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 23rd, 2012, 8:31 am

Colin McComb wrote:I... what's that, Mr. Fargo? MASTER! OW! MASTER Fargo, I'm sorry!

Yes. Yes, I am having fu-

Is he gone?

SOMEONE HELP ME OH GOD
Sounds like we work in the same office. :lol:

Schu
Initiate

Post by Schu » January 10th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Besides the joys of game development, the inXile office location couldn't be much better . . . sand, surf, weather . . .that is if you guys ever get out of the office in daylight.