Water and other basic needs

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
dorkboy
Master

Water and other basic needs

Post by dorkboy » December 16th, 2012, 4:30 pm

from what i've gathered water is going to be a big deal in WL2? how?
(will my rangers need to drink, will i need to press the "drink" button etc..)

and similarily other basic needs like food and rest?
marmelade & jam

Snowdrifter
Developer

Re: Water and other basic needs

Post by Snowdrifter » December 18th, 2012, 8:18 am

Water is consumed while traveling across the world map and water management while traveling is an important part of the game. There's no button to press, your party drinks water from their canteens automatically while traveling. When you're out of water your party will start taking damage from dehydration.

There is no food or other required consumables in the game and your characters won't get sleepy but you will need rest to heal.
Dan Jenkins
Engineer

Marked One
Initiate

Post by Marked One » December 18th, 2012, 8:44 am

There is no food or other required consumables in the game [...]
Wait, why not? :(

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 18th, 2012, 8:47 am

Marked One wrote:Wait, why not? :(
Isn't managing water enough tedious micromanagement?? No, of course not to some folks. Personally I'm happy that water is the only basic need that needs managed and it sounds like they are doing a good job of having it a background mechanic and not something I have to click every 90 seconds.

So as to why not, it's because the ultra-realistic, survivalist crowd doesn't make up a large enough percentage to warrant food, sleep deprivation, and potty breaks. Be happy you got water management.

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » December 18th, 2012, 9:05 am

I like the water management. It raises a question about various water quality and temporary or permanent damage types using it. Example would be, Brahmin pee makes you blind though it reduces dehydration.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

RangerKeenan
Developer

Post by RangerKeenan » December 18th, 2012, 9:10 am

Marked One wrote:
There is no food or other required consumables in the game [...]
Wait, why not? :(
We wanted to add an interesting exploration system to the overhead map but didn't want to turn the game into a survival simulator. There is a point where it can be too much maintenance. This is where we drew our line for the game.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

Sharkey
Acolyte

Post by Sharkey » December 18th, 2012, 9:11 am

Any chance for a Hardcore mode like in Fallout: New Vegas, where you have to take care of hunger, sleep, and weight plays a bigger role (such as ammo was given weight)? I like dealing with these survival needs. :D

Marked One
Initiate

Post by Marked One » December 18th, 2012, 9:18 am

Lucius, no need to be harsh, dude. :|

Thanks for you explanation, DarkTwinkie. :D
Last edited by Marked One on December 18th, 2012, 10:21 am, edited 6 times in total.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » December 18th, 2012, 11:38 am

sounds good! rather 1 thing well done, than 3 poorly. :)
marmelade & jam

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 18th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I'm glad to hear that water management is not going to be an over the top mechanic.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 18th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Ooh... im startin to really love this subforum. That water mechanic sounds interesting enough n could provide an interesting depth to travel.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Snowdrifter wrote:Water is consumed while traveling across the world map and water management while traveling is an important part of the game. There's no button to press, your party drinks water from their canteens automatically while traveling. When you're out of water your party will start taking damage from dehydration.

There is no food or other required consumables in the game and your characters won't get sleepy but you will need rest to heal.
So, it's kind of an update of the original. More involved than "have a canteen for HOT!!! squares" but not tedious micromanagement. Nice compromise.

How robust will "water management" be? Just a matter of "oh, hey, top off the canteen here at this river", or will we be buying iodine tablets and worrying about purification?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » December 19th, 2012, 2:11 am

Drool wrote:
Snowdrifter wrote:Water is consumed while traveling across the world map and water management while traveling is an important part of the game. There's no button to press, your party drinks water from their canteens automatically while traveling. When you're out of water your party will start taking damage from dehydration.

So, it's kind of an update of the original. More involved than "have a canteen for HOT!!! squares" but not tedious micromanagement. Nice compromise.

How robust will "water management" be? Just a matter of "oh, hey, top off the canteen here at this river", or will we be buying iodine tablets and worrying about purification?
Perhaps holding out the old Geiger counter whenever someone tries to sell you water..."C'mon! What a little fallout?" 8-)
25 years and it's finally here...

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » December 19th, 2012, 10:23 am

I like this small change to the canteen from WL1. There you just needed the canteen, here you have a turn limit upon which the canteen goes empty but it sounds like you just need to get close to a source of water and it'll reset.

This is good.

As for rads, I'm assuming the issued canteen has filtration mechanisms built-in. I do not want to worry about a rad mechanic on top of the water mechanic. The rangers will get irradiated in many other, more fascinating ways, I'm sure.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

Just saw this thread for the first time. (Thank you Lucius :)) Water management sounds like a great mechanic, putting a 'timer' on all activities away from a source and introducing a meaningful survival element into the game. I would have liked to see food requirements as well, but really I guess that would be pretty redundant, gameplay-wise.

It may sound stupid, but I can hardly wait to start running out of water while trapped by a cave-in in some underground installation. :lol:
Last edited by Zombra on February 21st, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » February 21st, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hell, you could even introduce ailments that drain the water faster (because of fever) :D .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » February 21st, 2013, 4:46 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:Hell, you could even introduce ailments that drain the water faster (because of fever) :D .
Or Snake Squeezins.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » February 21st, 2013, 4:51 pm

And that. Vomiting or diarrhea make you scream for water, too, after all :twisted: .

Just imagine you are in the thick of the battle and one of your rangers suddenly runs for the next shrubbery or pile of junk and starts pooping away, attracting a swarm of supaflies in the process that attack the enemy :D .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 21st, 2013, 6:21 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:And that. Vomiting or diarrhea make you scream for water, too, after all :twisted: .

Just imagine you are in the thick of the battle and one of your rangers suddenly runs for the next shrubbery or pile of junk and starts pooping away, attracting a swarm of supaflies in the process that attack the enemy :D .
Or one ranger suddenly looks at another, and then sidles away to a different bit of cover :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zeful
Scholar

Post by Zeful » March 2nd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Lucius wrote:Isn't managing water enough tedious micromanagement?? No, of course not to some folks. Personally I'm happy that water is the only basic need that needs managed and it sounds like they are doing a good job of having it a background mechanic and not something I have to click every 90 seconds.

So as to why not, it's because the ultra-realistic, survivalist crowd doesn't make up a large enough percentage to warrant food, sleep deprivation, and potty breaks. Be happy you got water management.
Micromanagement? It's essentially buying fuel for your [s]starship[/s] rangers so they can move about the map. It's likely to be as involved as "Find Water", "Mouseover water", "Click water with your new canteen cursor" to gather if not a "fill canteen" option in the store. I'm sorry but that's not micromanaging. Micromanaging would be having to futz with the waters purity, it's distribution across the party, as well as rationing the water across different terrain types to prevent over-hydration or dehydration.