Environmental interactivity

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Marked One
Initiate

Environmental interactivity

Post by Marked One » December 16th, 2012, 3:52 pm

What's the level of environmental interactivity in Wasteland 2? Can we, just to name a few, turn lights on/off, light a campfire (for cooking!), use mounted guns, explode flammable/hazard barrels?

Feel free to provide as many examples of possible interactions as you can, hehe. :oops:

Thank you for your time! ;)

d-Koy
Acolyte

Re: Environmental interactivity

Post by d-Koy » December 17th, 2012, 10:23 am

Marked One wrote:What's the level of environmental interactivity in Wasteland 2? Can we, just to name a few, turn lights on/off, light a campfire (for cooking!), use mounted guns, explode flammable/hazard barrels?

Feel free to provide as many examples of possible interactions as you can, hehe. :oops:

Thank you for your time! ;)
Well, yes, of course there will be elements in the environment that the player and NPCs will interact with. The level of interaction will vary, of course, depending on the nature of the situation. It may be as simple as accessing a terminal to open a door, or as complex as powering up a facility through a repair to a system.
I will be clear in saying that there will not be the often praised, though in my opinion highly predictable, cause and effect physics driven Rube Goldberg types of interactions. This is primarily a result of this not being the appropriate genre for that sort of spectacle. But honestly, those types of interactions consume more time than you can possibly imagine and distract us very much from real core mechanics.

d.Koy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Marked One
Initiate

Post by Marked One » December 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Thanks for your answer, mr. vanOteghem! :D

Darkzone
Adventurer

Post by Darkzone » December 27th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Dear Developers,
there is a simple, but on the second look not a stupid question on my mind.
Will i be able to use the rope, to cross a pit or to climb a building,
like in Wasteland?
What i want to ask with this question is, would be every Stuff that i have in my
inventory be usable? Or even change the enviroment?
In the Wasteland every breath i take. I am.

Thank you Brian Fargo for the games i play.
Thank you Fields of the Nephilim for the music i hear.