The Novellas

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Ronin73
Master

The Novellas

Post by Ronin73 » December 15th, 2012, 2:18 pm

This question is directed more at Mike Stackpole and Chris Avellone, if they are able to answer. How is the work on the Novellas coming along, and are you able to elaborate on what your Novellas will be about?

Any chance of a teaser? :)
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Faran Brygo
Developer

Re: The Novellas

Post by Faran Brygo » December 20th, 2012, 11:37 am

Now that the scripting is in the near complete state the novellas can begin. Chris and Mike are starting to pour through the the detail so they can formulate their clever take on the contents of the novella. If there are any particular subjects that people would like to see detailed I would be interested in your thoughts. The cults of LA...The history of the Synths...A story of adventure from Wasteland 1 etc....

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 20th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Definitely Synths...
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

undecaf
Explorer

Post by undecaf » December 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Faran Brygo wrote:Now that the scripting is in the near complete state the novellas can begin. Chris and Mike are starting to pour through the the detail so they can formulate their clever take on the contents of the novella. If there are any particular subjects that people would like to see detailed I would be interested in your thoughts. The cults of LA...The history of the Synths...A story of adventure from Wasteland 1 etc....
The cults of LA sounds kinda interesting. Peppered with (somewhat) philophical thoughts - setting appropriate of course - on their morality and agenda, and the reasons they act the way they do. How do people in power exploit the beliefs of others to their advantage - might there be some curious cases where this is happening involuntarily, acting it out just to survive the wrath of the nutjobs (and how did it come to be this way). Stuff like that.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 20th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Faran Brygo wrote:Now that the scripting is in the near complete state the novellas can begin. Chris and Mike are starting to pour through the the detail so they can formulate their clever take on the contents of the novella. If there are any particular subjects that people would like to see detailed I would be interested in your thoughts. The cults of LA...The history of the Synths...A story of adventure from Wasteland 1 etc....
Thanks for the reply, Brian :)

I'm probably more in the camp of a story from Wasteland 1. So many interesting characters. How Max became Max and why he ended up working against his own kind, What events occurred in the life of Irwin John Finster to drive him to create his vision of the world, a story of the power struggle between Faran Brygo and Fat Freddy, a story on Charmaine and the Mushroom Cloud Church and how they were founded, or even a story on how the Temple of Blood was created.

I could probably come up with more, but you get the idea :) I haven't even touched upon the Desert Rangers themselves. An adventure involving a group of unfortunate Rangers could be interesting as well.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Sharkey
Acolyte

Post by Sharkey » December 20th, 2012, 2:28 pm

I really enjoyed the All Roads graphic novel that Chris worked on for Fallout: New Vegas, acting as a prologue story leading right into the opening of the game. If we got something similar for one of the novellas acting as a prologue for some major characters in Wasteland 2, I'd be down for it!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 20th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Without more knowledge of the game, it's hard to say. Any of the deep and interesting factions would be cool to hear about. An in depth version of the game's backstory would be cool as well. Perhaps a story covering the events from the end of Wasteland to the beginning of Wasteland 2, if that would contain interesting things. Kinda setting the stage for the game so to speak.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 20th, 2012, 2:36 pm

The closer they are to dealing with events and factions in the games the better. A "direct prequel" like MCA's All Roads was great, so in that sense both the Cults of LA and Synths sound great. The transition of the rangers from the end of WL1 to the beginning of WL2 would be something too, maybe told through the lens of a nearby settlement (Highpool?)

I don't have a strong preference for which story specifically, but I'd love it if I saw places and people in the game and went "a-ha, I know this!" Without any spoilers, of course. Again, All Roads did this very well.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » December 20th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Synths: Are they related to The New Men from Vegas or the death machines of Cochise? Are they more like Max? If so, is that a coincidence or something more?
25 years and it's finally here...

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 20th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Ronin73 wrote:I'm probably more in the camp of a story from Wasteland 1. So many interesting characters. How Max became Max and why he ended up working against his own kind, What events occurred in the life of Irwin John Finster to drive him to create his vision of the world, a story of the power struggle between Faran Brygo and Fat Freddy, a story on Charmaine and the Mushroom Cloud Church and how they were founded, or even a story on how the Temple of Blood was created.
And all the while, the narrator is reading some old, pulp comic book telling the story of a team of soldiers journeying to Mars to free some slaves and thwart invasion plans...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 21st, 2012, 1:39 am

Brother None wrote: The transition of the rangers from the end of WL1 to the beginning of WL2 would be something too, maybe told through the lens of a nearby settlement (Highpool?)
Really like the sound of this. If those events aren't covered in the novella, I do hope inXile go to the trouble of filling in those 15 years somewhere in the manual.
Drool wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:I'm probably more in the camp of a story from Wasteland 1. So many interesting characters. How Max became Max and why he ended up working against his own kind, What events occurred in the life of Irwin John Finster to drive him to create his vision of the world, a story of the power struggle between Faran Brygo and Fat Freddy, a story on Charmaine and the Mushroom Cloud Church and how they were founded, or even a story on how the Temple of Blood was created.
And all the while, the narrator is reading some old, pulp comic book telling the story of a team of soldiers journeying to Mars to free some slaves and thwart invasion plans...
Hahaha priceless! :lol:

Brian Fargo

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » December 21st, 2012, 5:08 pm

Ronin73 wrote: I'm probably more in the camp of a story from Wasteland 1. So many interesting characters. How Max became Max and why he ended up working against his own kind, What events occurred in the life of Irwin John Finster to drive him to create his vision of the world, a story of the power struggle between Faran Brygo and Fat Freddy, a story on Charmaine and the Mushroom Cloud Church and how they were founded, or even a story on how the Temple of Blood was created.

I could probably come up with more, but you get the idea :) I haven't even touched upon the Desert Rangers themselves. An adventure involving a group of unfortunate Rangers could be interesting as well.
This sounds really good too.

Especially Max (but then, I'm a bit partial to that particular character, so...), but the main characters and factions of mid to late game Wasteland (Brygo, Freddy, the Mushroomers, Finster, The New Men, The Guardians, etc... would make for great stories.

Especially if there's tale about that possible mission Charmaine might have had for Rangers "...in a few months...". 8-)
25 years and it's finally here...

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » December 22nd, 2012, 5:31 am

I'd really like it if there was a story of what happened in the first Wasteland a la the Fallout 2 instruction book where it tells the tale of the Vault Dweller from the first game. I'd like to know what happened to the group of Rangers from W1.

Ilya B
Initiate

Post by Ilya B » December 26th, 2012, 9:17 am

Perhaps a story about several members of Rail Nomads travelling across Arizona and set in timeline after W1-before W2? The world and culture of wasteland from their point of view. Their methods of survival and stories about meetings with Rangers and other factions.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » February 22nd, 2013, 1:44 pm

Now that the gameplay video has been released a couple of suggestions jump out at me.

A story on Mesias and how he/it came to be.

A story on Bobby on what he did after his dog, Rex was killed and how he became a part of/founded? the Red Skorpions.

A journal style Novella from Snake Vargas on his rise to General, and the part he played for the Rangers when the Citadel was liberated.

Brian Fargo

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » February 22nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Ronin73 wrote:Now that the gameplay video has been released a couple of suggestions jump out at me.

A story on Mesias and how he/it came to be.

A story on Bobby on what he did after his dog, Rex was killed and how he became a part of/founded? the Red Skorpions.

A journal style Novella from Snake Vargas on his rise to General, and the part he played for the Rangers when the Citadel was liberated.
all this ^^ and the synths, im very curious about them
Mostly harmless.

Ryan Keokuk
Initiate

Post by Ryan Keokuk » March 15th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I would love to see the tale of what some brain-in-a-jar-robot would try to do with itself even if it was just a short story.

Seriously, also I feel the desire to hear how a drug addict in this post apocalyptic future chases that high while surviving.

Very cool stuff to do in that imo.

I own the graphic novel for new vegas and I think its pretty cool too although I'd rather have more details and a deeper story if it means cutting out visual narrative...that can be held off for the game imo.

8bitweapon
Acolyte

Post by 8bitweapon » April 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Wny updates on when we can expect them to be released?

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » September 26th, 2013, 4:40 pm

when will the novellas be released?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » September 27th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Wish I knew. They're still being worked on.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer