Healing and the health system

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Lucius
Master

Healing and the health system

Post by Lucius » December 15th, 2012, 10:41 am

We know from previous updates that WL2 will keep WL's UNC -> Dead system. Beyond that, can you share more information on the healing system? Will there be instant "healing potions"? If so, will a character need a skill to use? Will there be other healing items and are items required? Can a field medic or doctor heal without items on skill alone? Lastly, can we heal wounds above UNC state or revive unconscious members or will time be the way to revive and heal those that are UNC or higher?

RangerKeenan
Developer

Re: Healing and the health system

Post by RangerKeenan » December 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Still undecided on "instant heal" items. We're hoping to err on the side of not having them, but if they're needed for the type of combat experience we want, we are reserving the right to include them ;) We have many combat mechanics coded at a base level, so we're starting to get a feel for it.

I would like to balance the Field Medic and Surgeon skills to handle most healing on the battlefield. They don't need items to help their basic form of healing, but for advanced types, they'll use consumables. A skilled surgeon can heal increasingly negative status effects from UNC ->
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » December 20th, 2012, 1:29 pm

sounds really interesting, would love to see a more skillcentric healing system rather than .. "health potions" :)
(witchcraft, i tell you, WITCHCRAFT!! )
marmelade & jam

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 20th, 2012, 2:28 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:Still undecided on "instant heal" items. We're hoping to err on the side of not having them, but if they're needed for the type of combat experience we want, we are reserving the right to include them ;) We have many combat mechanics coded at a base level, so we're starting to get a feel for it.

I would like to balance the Field Medic and Surgeon skills to handle most healing on the battlefield. They don't need items to help their basic form of healing, but for advanced types, they'll use consumables. A skilled surgeon can heal increasingly negative status effects from UNC ->
This makes me very happy (I think >.>). I'm crossing my fingers you guys will be able to keep out the instant healing items and if worse comes to worse have penalties to using instant heal items (temporary stat decrease or the heal wears off after a certain number of rounds).

I won't complain too much if it does come to that, at least not until you tell me there will be 7 different types of healing items and they all require different number of AP to use. ;)
Last edited by Lucius on December 20th, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temaperacl
Scholar

Post by Temaperacl » December 20th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Lucius wrote:
DarkTwinkie wrote:Still undecided on "instant heal" items. We're hoping to err on the side of not having them, but if they're needed for the type of combat experience we want, we are reserving the right to include them ;) We have many combat mechanics coded at a base level, so we're starting to get a feel for it.

This makes me very happy (I think >.>). I'm crossing my fingers you guys will be able to keep out the instant healing items [...]
I'm of the same view that I am hoping that they are able to keep out the instant heal items (And personally, I hope that most healing has to be done "naturally" instead of relying on Medic/Doc to "magic-heal").

The response, though, doesn't make me quite as happy because it means the option is still at least somewhat "on the table". But I recognize that I'm a pessimist, though, so... ;)

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 20th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Temaperacl wrote:The response, though, doesn't make me quite as happy because it means the option is still at least somewhat "on the table". But I recognize that I'm a pessimist, though, so... ;)
True, but at least they are of the same mindset. That's really all we can ask. Hopefully it works out to where it can be balanced without those magic potions. If not, I'm happy that I know they tried.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 20th, 2012, 3:59 pm

If healing is generally predicated on the passage of time, the main plot had better NOT be time-sensitive. Because if after every serious fight the party has to hunker down until everyone has healed back to a reasonable operating level, those Sick Days WILL add up to an impressive total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 20th, 2012, 5:05 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:

If healing is generally predicated on the passage of time, the main plot had better NOT be time-sensitive. Because if after every serious fight the party has to hunker down until everyone has healed back to a reasonable operating level, those Sick Days WILL add up to an impressive total.
Possibly one of the reasons that they are still undecided :D

I agree with Lucius and Temper, I can deal with the instaheal types, especially if they are qualified like Lucius suggested, and it is good to know it is something that is being thought about seriously.

And I like the idea of the Field Medic/Surgeon having different levels of healing, that includes consumables etc. Will things still be possible without the consumables? A last ditch effort type situation. So would probably end up killing the patient, but if they are about to die anyway....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 21st, 2012, 8:24 am

Ill have to get used to this... something inside of me just doesnt like the idea to need 2 skills for healing.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 21st, 2012, 8:46 pm

I thought you played Fallout...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » December 21st, 2012, 8:56 pm

I'm not a fan of insta-heal items, but how about something like an adrenaline syringe, that lets you self-resuscitate a downed party member, but with a stat penalty and maybe a bleed out timer that sends the member in question back into unconscious after X turns, unless you have proper field medicine applied?
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 22nd, 2012, 4:23 am

I played Fallout as a kid... i'm more used to Shadowruns healing system now(First aid & magical healing).
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)