Sleight Of Hand (Stealing)

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Gabriel77Dan
Explorer

Re: Sleight Of Hand (Stealing)

Post by Gabriel77Dan » January 5th, 2013, 1:08 am

Yup, could have been great for RPing with the rangers as well, one of them could be tossed off to the "protagonist" / leader of the group cause he kept running around knicking the chief's stuff all the time.

Or one was a former thief who after getting the shit kicked out of her from a failed pocket picking she was saved by a Ranger and she then enlisted but has kept her skills alive in case she needs to use them again or if she ever gets kicked out of the Rangers.

Or have this kid who thinks he excells at everything and constantly gets in fights cause he fails at picking pockets (skill level rather low).

Lots of fun could ahve been had with this skill for RPing purposes, so it's sad it couldn't make the cut.
I understand it somewhat from a design purpose though. In most RPG's everyone attacks you if you fail or they just take the stuff back and hardly comments on it. Having to design in a reactive way for NPC's to handle your failed attempt a lot of times could be time consuming.

Hasenklein
Scholar

Post by Hasenklein » January 20th, 2013, 6:36 am

Shaewaros wrote:This is rather disappointing news. I always loved stealing in FO games.
I didn't :) In FO, stealing was realized by simply using a skill and resulted in getting items. Stealing was highly repetetive, rewarding - and boring. That's why I'm pleased to read that the player is so to say rather "forced" to play the game in order to get items.

stedyedy
Initiate

Post by stedyedy » February 10th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Hasenklein wrote:
Shaewaros wrote:This is rather disappointing news. I always loved stealing in FO games.
I didn't :) In FO, stealing was realized by simply using a skill and resulted in getting items. Stealing was highly repetetive, rewarding - and boring. That's why I'm pleased to read that the player is so to say rather "forced" to play the game in order to get items.
May be true but feels like its just reducing the freedom / reality from the game, why not just make stealing a low % skill

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 11th, 2013, 12:29 am

If I had to guess?
It came down to a question of time and resources. Stealing is a cool skill in games, but any skills we added we want to have a good amount of reactivity. When we starting discussing a design for stealing, it turned into a major task. Ability to steal items, what kind of items can be stolen, what if you get caught, how does the NPC react in the future if you're caught. It turned out to be something we didn't think was core to the experience for the amount of time needed to add it correctly.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

JerrySmacker
Initiate

Post by JerrySmacker » May 6th, 2013, 1:40 am

DarkTwinkie wrote:Hi Gabriel77Dan,

The player characters won't have a steal skill that they can use, but occasionally an CNPC that the players come across might have the ability to do this. It came down to a question of time and resources. Stealing is a cool skill in games, but any skills we added we want to have a good amount of reactivity. When we starting discussing a design for stealing, it turned into a major task. Ability to steal items, what kind of items can be stolen, what if you get caught, how does the NPC react in the future if you're caught. It turned out to be something we didn't think was core to the experience for the amount of time needed to add it correctly.

AAAaaawwwwwwwwwww! :(
"MOO, I say!!", says a randomly encountered brahmin.