Crafting mechanics

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
WorstUsernameEver
Initiate

Crafting mechanics

Post by WorstUsernameEver » December 14th, 2012, 11:40 am

I have no idea how much prominence the WL2 devs plan to give to crafting (this is the kind of mechanic that could potentially deserve an update all for itself), but we know that it's in and that there are skills dedicated to it.

Again, trying to keep this brief and pointed (as much as I can anyway): Will we be able to craft on the road, or will we need to go to specific locations (like the New Vegas crafting benches)? Will we need to keep tool with us to be able to craft? Obviously we will need specific ingredients, but what about recipes? Will we have to find them or will crafting recipes pop up as soon as we'll hit the right level in the crafting skill? Will we only be able to craft utility items or also unique items that are not available elsewhere?

So, uhm, yeah, I'm curious about crafting, basically.

RangerKeenan
Developer

Re: Crafting mechanics

Post by RangerKeenan » December 20th, 2012, 11:02 am

Hello again WorstUsernameEver,

We are currently thinking you will need to go to specific locations for most difficult crafting. For example, when using the weapon smithing skill, you will mostly need to be at a bench. There are elements of crafting that can be done on the road though. I'm being vague on purpose as there are some interesting elements to it that I don't want to reveal right now.

Crafting recipes can be learned as well as available when you hit specific skill levels with that particular skill. There will be unique items that you can craft that aren't available for purchase.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

WorstUsernameEver
Initiate

Post by WorstUsernameEver » December 21st, 2012, 10:32 am

Thanks for the reply! I can kind of understand why you want to be vague.. I sure wish we could hear more and soon, but I'll take what I can get :)

Headzup
Initiate

Post by Headzup » January 22nd, 2013, 4:30 pm

It would be nice, that you named the Crafting recipes in the game Blueprints. Thats sound more professional in the Game, because with a recipe you cook meals :D We don't want cook armor oder weapons :P
I am interested to create a Multiplayer/Coop-Mod für Wasteland 2. I look so long for a RPG with a very demonding Craft/Trade-System like Eve-Online.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 22nd, 2013, 9:03 pm

Technically, you build buildings with blueprints, so you'd want schematics.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » February 15th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Drool wrote:Technically, you build buildings with blueprints, so you'd want schematics.
Technically, you build buildings with tools and machinery.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.