Will Combat be Action Point based?

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Locked
User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2228
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Lucius » December 14th, 2012, 11:39 am

Will combat use an action point system or be more phase based with a movement turn and action turn? Either way, can you share some details on how the choosen system will play? For example turn order etc.

User avatar
RangerKeenan
Developer
Posts: 140
Joined: February 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by RangerKeenan » December 18th, 2012, 10:04 am

Hi Lucius,

Combat will be action point based. There are no defined rounds for "rangers turn" and "enemies turn". Instead it is based on the speed attribute of each party member. Characters with higher speed attributes will get more turns than those with lower speed attributes. Put more points into speed if you'd like to attack more in any given combat encounter.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

User avatar
SniperHF
Adventurer
Posts: 748
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by SniperHF » December 18th, 2012, 10:56 am

DarkTwinkie wrote:Hi Lucius,

Combat will be action point based. There are no defined rounds for "rangers turn" and "enemies turn". Instead it is based on the speed attribute of each party member. Characters with higher speed attributes will get more turns than those with lower speed attributes. Put more points into speed if you'd like to attack more in any given combat encounter.
Kind of a follow up, is speed limited or constrained by attack type/equipment? Or only through the filter of AP does a combatant get more or less moves/actions?

User avatar
dorkboy
Master
Posts: 1772
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by dorkboy » December 18th, 2012, 12:16 pm

action points are so nice!
makes me wonder how they will be determined, though, if speed is already used for sequence.. speed for both, or coordination for APs?
marmelade & jam

User avatar
undecaf
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by undecaf » December 18th, 2012, 12:28 pm

dorkboy wrote:action points are so nice!
makes me wonder how they will be determined, though, if speed is already used for sequence.. speed for both, or coordination for APs?
Action points might come out of Coordination. It would feel - to me - like Speed getting a bit overbuffed if it determined both how much and how often you can act. That was a bit of a problem with Fallout's Agility already. I may be missing something crucial here, though, it's late.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

User avatar
McDougle
Adventurer
Posts: 513
Joined: October 20th, 2012, 4:00 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by McDougle » December 18th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Uhhhhhh... sounds a tad like Shadowruns "Initiative passes" mechanic... Ill have my street samurai with 4 IP. :D
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

User avatar
Ronin73
Master
Posts: 1360
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 5:35 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Ronin73 » December 18th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Does this system still allow me to rip an entire clip of ammo, like the original?
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

User avatar
dorkboy
Master
Posts: 1772
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by dorkboy » December 18th, 2012, 2:26 pm

undecaf wrote:
dorkboy wrote:action points are so nice!
makes me wonder how they will be determined, though, if speed is already used for sequence.. speed for both, or coordination for APs?
Action points might come out of Coordination. It would feel - to me - like Speed getting a bit overbuffed if it determined both how much and how often you can act. That was a bit of a problem with Fallout's Agility already. I may be missing something crucial here, though, it's late.
yeah, not to mention that agility was important for weapon skills. so if coordination is important for weapon skills (% to hit), then i suppose speed for both AP/sequence is less overpowered.. :?
marmelade & jam

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5641
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Woolfe » December 18th, 2012, 7:08 pm

dorkboy wrote:
undecaf wrote:
dorkboy wrote:action points are so nice!
makes me wonder how they will be determined, though, if speed is already used for sequence.. speed for both, or coordination for APs?
Action points might come out of Coordination. It would feel - to me - like Speed getting a bit overbuffed if it determined both how much and how often you can act. That was a bit of a problem with Fallout's Agility already. I may be missing something crucial here, though, it's late.
yeah, not to mention that agility was important for weapon skills. so if coordination is important for weapon skills (% to hit), then i suppose speed for both AP/sequence is less overpowered.. :?
I'd try and make it reliant on several factors.

Speed - Of course, because it defines how actually quick you are.
Coordination - Becuase it defines how accurate you are at doing what you are doing
Strength - Because it defines how much of an effect that weight of something might affect you

I'd also probably throw in some skill elements A high weapon skill in a particular weapon, might give you a bit of a bonus for example.

It'll be interesting to see how it works in the end. I am sure some stats will end up being a bit out of whack.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8789
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 8:42 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:Combat will be action point based. There are no defined rounds for "rangers turn" and "enemies turn". Instead it is based on the speed attribute of each party member.
Please go play Fallout up to the Regulator fight in Adytum. And then please make sure combat in WL2 isn't that long, dragged out, slow, boring, and eye-bleedingly awful.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Arcanix
Master
Posts: 1092
Joined: October 23rd, 2012, 11:48 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Arcanix » December 18th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Drool , i agree with you. Turnbased is dragged out, slow, boring, and eye-bleedingly awful. What to do about it? :lol:
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8789
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Arcanix wrote:What to do about it?
Simultaneous phase-based combat.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5641
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Woolfe » December 18th, 2012, 9:01 pm

I am so happy its turn based.

I would have been happy with Simultaneous phase based.

But I really enjoy the AP based turns. And I think your concerns about how long it can take, are definately valid Drool. Altho I personally never found it too onerous, but anytime I had the opportunity, I always made the "computer's" turn as fast as possible without actually skipping it. And having a quick button or slide that speeds/slows the process whilst in game "should" make long fights a bit quicker, but allow you the control to not miss anything in an important fight. (A replay turn option also helps, so if you missed someones movement, you can replay it)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8789
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 9:57 pm

As long as it doesn't drag like that Adytum fight did. Perhaps it's partially because you only controlled one person in the fight, but it took freaking forever, because you had a dozen or so Regulators and a dozen civilians (and potentially also a dozen or so Blades). Waiting for all those people to take their turn (some of which you couldn't even see because of fog of war/screen size) was tedious and just awful.

I'm just trying to imagine that optional fight at the Mushroom Cloud temple where you had 90-some temple guardians...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5641
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Woolfe » December 18th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Drool wrote:As long as it doesn't drag like that Adytum fight did. Perhaps it's partially because you only controlled one person in the fight, but it took freaking forever, because you had a dozen or so Regulators and a dozen civilians (and potentially also a dozen or so Blades). Waiting for all those people to take their turn (some of which you couldn't even see because of fog of war/screen size) was tedious and just awful.

I'm just trying to imagine that optional fight at the Mushroom Cloud temple where you had 90-some temple guardians...
Yeah agreed, but hopefully it won't be as silly as waiting for players that you can't see. I really hate that too. That sort of thing was lazy programing/unintended consequences from the few dev comments I have read about it.
These sort of things should be massaged out programatically.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Wile
Adventurer
Posts: 527
Joined: April 9th, 2012, 1:40 am
Location: Finland

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Wile » December 19th, 2012, 5:27 am

If I recall correctly, didn't they say somewhere that enemies would take their turns simultaneously while you would move your characters individually? So I don't think one combat against 30 enemies to would take one month. Atleast not if I am correct.

User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2228
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Lucius » December 19th, 2012, 6:10 am

Action points won't be bad if it's one action per point. If I have 22 action points and moving takes 1 action per square and firing takes 4 action points, reloading takes 2 action points, changing weapons takes 3 action points, etc, this would suck. I don't want to do math for 4-7 characters every combat round. This would be entirely too convoluted.

If characters typically have 3-5 action points however, would be much more manageable. A typical character with 3 action points could then fire twice and move into cover for example. Or this character could reload, fire once, then step into cover. Some actions I can understand taking more points. For example using field medic can understandably take 2-3 points. Firing a LAW rocket should take 2-3 points. I just don't want overly inflated action points where every character has 10+ action points to spend and every action takes a different number of points. This would be simplified from earlier generations but in this case I think it would be a good thing.

Please consider 1 action per point mechanics.

Edit: This also makes speed not as overpowered giving both action points and turn order. For example if stats max out at 15, all characters have a base of 3 action points. There can then be two thresholds where you gain another action point. Maybe at 6 SPD you have 4 pts and at 12 or higher you have 5. Having more than 6 or more than 12 still has the added benefit of having a higher initiative score and can attack earlier in a combat round. If the system is inflated and every point in speed equals 1 or 2 more action points plus combat initiative it becomes extremely overpowered, imo.
Last edited by Lucius on December 19th, 2012, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dorkboy
Master
Posts: 1772
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by dorkboy » December 19th, 2012, 6:34 am

Wile wrote:If I recall correctly, didn't they say somewhere that enemies would take their turns simultaneously while you would move your characters individually? So I don't think one combat against 30 enemies to would take one month. Atleast not if I am correct.
yeah, i remember something to that effect, too. can't remember where i read it, though. :?
at any rate, i'm pretty sure this issue has been adressed at some point.

@Lucius
the problem with lowering action points is that you'll be able to move less per turn, making any kind of maneuvering a long term project (unless, of course, movement/AP is increased so that melee at some point becomes possible).
waiting in line to just fire 1 shot/perform 1 action (over and over again) is what makes turn-based boring, imo.
marmelade & jam

User avatar
undecaf
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by undecaf » December 19th, 2012, 6:51 am

Wile wrote:If I recall correctly, didn't they say somewhere that enemies would take their turns simultaneously while you would move your characters individually? So I don't think one combat against 30 enemies to would take one month. Atleast not if I am correct.
I seem to remember something to that effect too. But I do hope they won't go that way, though. There's a concern that the combat situations get really messy and unclear (which is the polar opposite of what TB combat should strive for - imo) if you try to keep up with the actions of 5-10 (or more) opponents simultaneously, and more so if those opponents happen to be at different sides of of the screen. Unless of course the the remaining hitpoints is all one cares about, but if that's the case I also remember that there will be some sort of "autocombat" option - IIRC.

EDIT - I think, if my memory doesn't fail, the notion that NPC's move simultaneously during combat was about idle/neutral characters, and not about enemies. Could be wrong, but that's what I [almost] recall now.
dorkboy wrote: the problem with lowering action points is that you'll be able to move less per turn, making any kind of maneuvering a long term project (unless, of course, movement/AP is increased so that melee at some point becomes possible).
waiting in line to just fire 1 shot/perform 1 action (over and over again) is what makes turn-based boring, imo.
Agreed.
Last edited by undecaf on December 19th, 2012, 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

User avatar
Brother None
Developer
Posts: 2909
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Will Combat be Action Point based?

Post by Brother None » December 19th, 2012, 7:02 am

dorkboy wrote:the problem with lowering action points is that you'll be able to move less per turn, making any kind of maneuvering a long term project (unless, of course, movement/AP is increased so that melee at some point becomes possible).
waiting in line to just fire 1 shot/perform 1 action (over and over again) is what makes turn-based boring, imo.
Another problem, a rather big one, is that one action = one point thinking basically equates the importance of every action even though they're fundamentally different. Reloading should not cost as much "effort" as moving one square, nor does firing equate those two. Hell, even better, you can help balance out gun use by using action points in a detailed manner. Sure, it asks a little more off the player, but it also delivers a more balanced, more satisfying experience.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests