Page 1 of 1

Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: December 14th, 2012, 10:06 am
by paultakeda
Many of us are very interested in the ruleset. Not only as a sort of technical reference for WL2 but also as a potential ruleset for PnP.

If so, when (pre/post game release)?

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: December 17th, 2012, 9:54 am
by RangerKeenan
Hey Paul,

We don't currently have plans to release the ruleset for PnP. Our focus during the setup and design of the main systems is for it to work in the CRPG environment first and foremost. That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it. We want the community to go crazy modding the game post-release and knowing the ruleset is an important part of that.

Chris Keenan
Producer/Designer

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: December 17th, 2012, 10:48 am
by Temaperacl
First, thanks for the response - the focus on CRPG makes sense and that you are looking to release the ruleset is obviously the response we were hoping for

As one of the people who was interested in the game mechanics of the ruleset, Is there more insight (realizing that you don't want to make firm commitments) into the time aspect of the question? While I assume some information will come in bits and pieces (Like the skill names and some information about the calculations for certain skills that already came out), would we be looking at getting more comprehensive (if not finalized) information during pre-beta flux, in time for the Beta (In order to help us identify corner cases for testing), or would we be waiting until release itself? Or will it most likely just be an informal growth of released information as time passes, capped by a formal release at/post release?

Also, could you (or someone else) elaborate on
DarkTwinkie wrote:That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it.
a little? I'm just not quite sure what is meant by this. :oops: [I just haven't read official strategy guides and the unofficial ones have been for TB strategy games and so are basically tables of movement costs, CRTs and unit stats]

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: December 17th, 2012, 11:36 am
by paultakeda
Certainly the CRPG comes first. I am just hoping that whatever is released (and I am glad there is a plan to reveal the ruleset) is easily convertible to a PnP ruleset, which means I hope to see a lot of detail in released information.

Thanks for replying!

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: December 17th, 2012, 11:39 am
by McDougle
DarkTwinkie wrote:Hey Paul,

We don't currently have plans to release the ruleset for PnP. Our focus during the setup and design of the main systems is for it to work in the CRPG environment first and foremost. That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it. We want the community to go crazy modding the game post-release and knowing the ruleset is an important part of that.

Chris Keenan
Producer/Designer

Another shiver... YES we will mod the hell out of WL2! :)

Which leads me to post another question...

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 22nd, 2013, 12:16 pm
by Zombra
I wonder if the ruleset will be explained just for the CRPG. Leaving aside the possibility of P&P, it would be cool for us "power gamers" to understand just what's going on under the hood when we fire a shot or try to pick a lock.

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 22nd, 2013, 12:18 pm
by Brother None
The game is pretty clear in explaining underthehood decisions, yeah. Probably still some work to do there but we'd rather show and explain what's going on than hide it all as most modern RPGs seem to do.

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 22nd, 2013, 12:23 pm
by Zombra
Cool! Thank you!

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 22nd, 2013, 3:48 pm
by Woolfe
Thank you indeed, I am definitely one of those who are interested in the under the hood workings.

:D

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 23rd, 2013, 4:35 am
by Grohal
Good old times returning, indeed. :mrgreen:

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 23rd, 2013, 12:39 pm
by ffordesoon
Brother None wrote:The game is pretty clear in explaining underthehood decisions, yeah. Probably still some work to do there but we'd rather show and explain what's going on than hide it all as most modern RPGs seem to do.
Awesome.

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Posted: October 23rd, 2013, 2:04 pm
by Ronin73
No old school manual would be complete without including some explanation of the rule set!

It's great to see it confirmed none the less :)