About This Forum/Posting Guidelines

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Brother None
Developer

About This Forum/Posting Guidelines

Post by Brother None » December 14th, 2012, 9:18 am

The Ask A Dev forum is a one-week community event to enable you all to ask some of those questions that have been piling up over the past few months. Props to CaptainPatch for first suggesting the idea.

The idea is simple: you post any Wasteland 2 related question as a new thread. Admins/moderators then lock it, inXile will keep reading these forums, picking questions, answering them and then unlocking the thread, opening them up for debate and possibly follow-up questions. Please don't reply to threads before an inXile dev can, we'll just have to delete those posts. The forums will be locked to new threads on Friday the 21st.

It is very unlikely inXile can answer all or even most questions, they're picking a handful each day to answer. The next few days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) we'll accumulate questions on this forum, inXile will start answering on Monday and is not likely to answer any before, so don't get impatient during the weekend, it's their time off.

Basic guidelines:

- Use clear subject titles. Please make sure users and dev can see at a glance what your question is about.
- Be brief. Be as wordy as you need to be, but wall of text posts are unlikely to be answered.
- One topic per thread. Closely related questions are fine, but don't cover multiple topics per thread.
- Don't repeat questions. Please check the forum if your question has been asked before and never repost your own question.
- Ask anything. You can ask anything related to Wasteland 2, but do realize plot questions asking for spoilers are unlikely to be answered, inXile is pretty dead set on not spoiling the story.
- You can address your question to a specific developer. inXile will just have the most relevant guy answer each question, a writer, designer, artist or whatever, but if you have someone specific in mind, feel free to put his name in the thread subject and body, and we'll see if we can get him specifically to answer. That may make it less likely to be answered, so it's not recommended!

Have fun. This thread is open for further questions and clarifications on this forum.

Locking threads means locking edits too. If you do want to change some things in your post, feel free to PM me to make the changes for you.

EDIT: devs posting on this forum

Faran Brygo - Brian Fargo, CEO
DarkTwinkie - Chris Keenan, producer/design director
Joby - Joby Bednar, lead scripter
Dragonberg - Josh Jertberg, lead animator
d-Koy - Koy vanOteghem, senior environment artist
Rat Herder - Phillip Dickenson, artist
Snowdrifter - Dan Jenkins, engineer
brakiri - Jeremy Kopman, scripter
Colin McComb - Colin McComb, writer
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Re: About This Forum/Posting Guidelines

Post by CaptainPatch » December 14th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I've noticed an adverse effect because of Ask A Dev posts. As there is no prompt answers to questions, "View active topics" on the Board Index can/will/does fill up with unanswered questions. Instead of looking at just the top page of active threads to see what new has been happening, now a viewer needs to drill down to potentially several pages of thread listings, most of which will just be those unanswered questions. Makes staying abreast of ongoing conversations a tad bit more bothersome.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 14th, 2012, 3:35 pm

That's just the way forums work. Eh. It's only for a week, we'll just have to do without using "view active topics" for a while, even though that's mostly how I browse the forum too.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

saim786
Initiate

Post by saim786 » December 14th, 2012, 11:17 pm

hello admin nice forum . i am a new user and i will be actively participating .. :cool:
SAIM...:)

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 15th, 2012, 2:42 pm

To whoever deleted my question on Snake Squeezins (a part of the Wasteland universe) all I have to say is :

NO SENSE OF HUMOR WHATSOEVER! :P

It was a Wasteland related question, even if it wasn't one of critical importance.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 15th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Ronin73 wrote:To whoever deleted my question on Snake Squeezins (a part of the Wasteland universe) all I have to say is :

NO SENSE OF HUMOR WHATSOEVER! :P

It was a Wasteland related question, even if it wasn't one of critical importance.
I thought it was funny, and would've kept it in, but it didn't follow the posting guidelines, which is why I removed it. Sorry. No vague thread titles, that would make this forum a pain in the neck to follow for devs and, well, everyone.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

RangerKeenan
Developer

Quick Message on Ask A Dev Week

Post by RangerKeenan » December 17th, 2012, 9:21 am

**edit 11:50am 12/17** The team is getting back to working on the game for the day. I'll be answering a few more questions before doing so myself and we'll get back on it tomorrow morning! Thank you all for the questions and keep em coming.

Hi guys,

First, thank you all for participating and asking us questions. We know forum activity has slowed down since the inception and are glad to see some questions here for us!

Looking over the list, it seems like (naturally) there are quite a few design questions, so we will do our best to answer them without ruining any surprises. The goal here is to clear up any confusions and clarify the vision a bit more, but not reveal the entire game. Some elements we won't want to talk about at this point.

Looking forward to diving in!

Chris Keenan
Producer/Designer
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 18th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Now that the answers are rolling out, I can imagine that everyone that posted questions to the devs are anxiously waiting for Santa to slide down the chimney with the answers. Also those that did NOT post questions because they saw someone else had already posted the query they had in mind. I can imagine, given the large volume of questions tendered that there are quite a few questions that the devs have NO intention of answering, for some reason or another. (It would reveal too much of the plot, never considered that situation, not applicable, or perhaps, the answer would be simply, "We don't know at this time." I think it would be only polite to post a formal "No comment", so that those waiting anxiously for answers can stop waiting for Santa to appear with their answers. (Must be that we're on the Naughty List. ;) )

"Choose wisely."

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 18th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Any chance we can nudge the Devs to start at the other end of the list, there were a lot of questions asked early on that don't seem to be getting any love. Whilst a lot of the newer questions are being picked up quickly.

And yes, I have a question in that list I want answered :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 18th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Woolfe wrote:Any chance we can nudge the Devs to start at the other end of the list, there were a lot of questions asked early on that don't seem to be getting any love. Whilst a lot of the newer questions are being picked up quickly.
I was planning to go over the old ones and highlight a few for Chris tomorrow or day after, just to make sure they're not forgotten. So no worries, I got you guys.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 21st, 2012, 8:18 am

The forum is going to be locked in about two hours (to new threads, not to replies, the forum will remain open to replies). Either the world will end or I'll lock the forum, either way it'll be closed :lol:

Hope you guys had fun! The devs certainly did.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » December 21st, 2012, 11:53 am

Definitely, it felt good to get this close to the team, i expected a lot more evasive answers and i'm really surprised they went this far concerning some topics.
This, and the bards tales gift in the same week, It was a real treat, thanks guys !

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 21st, 2012, 12:28 pm

Absolutely, I was surprised at the level of answers we received. Although my question about pink armor was never answered! :lol:

Thanks guys!

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 21st, 2012, 1:01 pm

Yep I got most of the answers I was looking for. I was a little surprised my question on currency didn't get answered though. I would have thought that inXile would have decided what the Wasteland currency was one way or the other, and it was also a pretty major topic discussion on the forums at one time as well.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » December 24th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Christmas Eve and I haven't seen any fresh Ask a Dev questions being answered for the last several of days. Are we to assume that if a posted question has as yet not been addressed that it will NOT be answered at all?

"Choose wisely."

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » December 24th, 2012, 8:25 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:Christmas Eve and I haven't seen any fresh Ask a Dev questions being answered for the last several of days. Are we to assume that if a posted question has as yet not been addressed that it will NOT be answered at all?
Pretty sure it was a 1 week event only. Most of the questions that haven't been answered either were something they probably didn't want to reveal yet, didn't have an answer for yet, or were frankly troll questions.

I'm sure all will be made clear over the next 3-4 months. And the big January update.

Chris is around the forums a lot more than most of the Devs, so maybe he'll pop back in after the holiday at some point.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 24th, 2012, 9:18 pm

As said in the guidelines, it was never the intention to get all questions answered. In fact, they answered a lot more than I personally expected. Not all remaining questions are "bad" or anything but some just can't be answered or they don't want to answer, some others they simply didn't get to.

I'll probably merge all remaining unanswered questions into a single thread soon, for usability.

Also it's the holidays! They're relaxing.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » December 24th, 2012, 9:32 pm

This is something more game developers/publishers should. I found it more educational and the answers more diverse than most game mag./show reports.