Artificial Intelligence of Enemies

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
Bozar
Initiate

Artificial Intelligence of Enemies

Post by Bozar » December 15th, 2012, 7:31 am

Hello Wasteland 2 Developers!

1. In what ways have you improved and / or added new forms of enemy behavior in Wasteland 2?
2. If you as a player choose harder difficulty levels (assuming there are different difficulty levels), what new behavior from enemies can the player expect, except for the standard stuff like enemies having more hit points and doing more damage?

RangerKeenan
Developer

Re: Artificial Intelligence of Enemies

Post by RangerKeenan » December 18th, 2012, 10:20 am

Hello Bozar,

The AI in this game compared to the original is a completely different beast. We are creating AI for a 3d world now which requires us to think about it in a different manner than they had to in 1988. It is a turn based strategy game, which lends itself to all kinds of fun AI archtypes.

We don't plan on changing AI behaviors for different difficulty levels. This would require a huge amount of time and resources to do correctly and balance. Our game is big and it will have a decent playthrough time. In order add unique behaviors at higher difficulty levels, it requires us to not only balance it, but bug test and spend animation, effects, sound, design and programming time to do so. 3 million + sounds like a big number but not when it comes to video game budgets. We have to be very focused on where we spend that time and money to create the biggest "bang for buck".

We have quite a few knobs to tweak when it comes to difficulty level. I'm sure it will be more than just hitpoints and damage values.
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » December 18th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I tried to post this question but Bozar won me :D
DarkTwinkie wrote:We don't plan on changing AI behaviors for different difficulty levels
343i tried to do that in Halo 4, they failed.
DarkTwinkie wrote: The AI in this game compared to the original is a completely different beast. We are creating AI for a 3d world now which requires us to think about it in a different manner than they had to in 1988. It is a turn based strategy game, which lends itself to all kinds of fun AI archtypes.
archtypes, you mean different behaviors for different enemies? that would be awesome.
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"

Bozar
Initiate

Post by Bozar » December 24th, 2012, 3:00 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:Hello Bozar,

The AI in this game compared to the original is a completely different beast. We are creating AI for a 3d world now which requires us to think about it in a different manner than they had to in 1988. It is a turn based strategy game, which lends itself to all kinds of fun AI archtypes.

We don't plan on changing AI behaviors for different difficulty levels. This would require a huge amount of time and resources to do correctly and balance. Our game is big and it will have a decent playthrough time. In order add unique behaviors at higher difficulty levels, it requires us to not only balance it, but bug test and spend animation, effects, sound, design and programming time to do so. 3 million + sounds like a big number but not when it comes to video game budgets. We have to be very focused on where we spend that time and money to create the biggest "bang for buck".

We have quite a few knobs to tweak when it comes to difficulty level. I'm sure it will be more than just hitpoints and damage values.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, I feel that you dodged the question a bit. The part on difficulty levels is clear, but you did not specifically answer how the enemy AI is buffed up. Let's use Fallout Tactics as a reference. From what I have been reading around, cover mechanic is in, that's great. But what about enemies doing the following: calling for backup, flanking, healing themselves etc.

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » December 25th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Bozar wrote: Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, I feel that you dodged the question a bit. The part on difficulty levels is clear, but you did not specifically answer how the enemy AI is buffed up. Let's use Fallout Tactics as a reference. From what I have been reading around, cover mechanic is in, that's great. But what about enemies doing the following: calling for backup, flanking, healing themselves etc.
i tought he said AI doesnt buff up with difficulty, in fact i've never seen a game doing that succesfully.
And yeah, i hope that enemies can do the things you listed, if its possible with animations, my idea is that critters should be able to do everything you can in combat including basic tactics like concentrate fire, rethreating, flanking, ambushing, etc.,
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"

kira
Novice

Post by kira » December 25th, 2012, 5:47 pm

DarkTwinkie wrote:We don't plan on changing AI behaviors for different difficulty levels
As long as they kick my ass I'm happy!

Bozar
Initiate

Post by Bozar » December 26th, 2012, 1:15 pm

reiniat wrote:
Bozar wrote: Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, I feel that you dodged the question a bit. The part on difficulty levels is clear, but you did not specifically answer how the enemy AI is buffed up. Let's use Fallout Tactics as a reference. From what I have been reading around, cover mechanic is in, that's great. But what about enemies doing the following: calling for backup, flanking, healing themselves etc.
i tought he said AI doesnt buff up with difficulty, in fact i've never seen a game doing that succesfully.
And yeah, i hope that enemies can do the things you listed, if its possible with animations, my idea is that critters should be able to do everything you can in combat including basic tactics like concentrate fire, rethreating, flanking, ambushing, etc.,
I know he said that, that's why I stated that with regards to difficulty scaling his answer was clear. However, I hope to get a response on whether things I listed above will be incorporated into enemy behavior.

Lavalle3331
Initiate

Post by Lavalle3331 » February 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm

During Beta play, I felt combat (which was still fun) was to easy. Even on Ranger settings and after 10 battles I literally only needed used one blood pack. And my play style was semi-tactical, some hide behind cover, others were wide open.

I'm pretty positive the AI will be better on later patches but I hope this game is geared towards "be tactical or suffer huge lost" during a fire-fight vs "guns a-blazing, cover is for wimps" mentality.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » February 6th, 2014, 10:34 pm

It is only partially a matter of patching, it is also related to which areas you play; the opposition attack options and thus AI get more and more complex as you progress in the game. But yes, we're also improving encounter design and working on combat in these starting areas.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Crosmando
Grandmaster

Post by Crosmando » February 6th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Do you have any idea how many of the planned creatures/enemies in WL2 will have unique/special attacks or abilities. I liked how the Slicer Dicers have a whole bunch of stuff: the "blast" thing which damages enemies in the vicinity, the aura thing which lowers Coordination, the laser attack, attack with the regular slicer, AND the ability to do that huge jump and land right near your party. Same with the Discobots special aura

Even if it's just small things giving every human enemy every so often a grenade to throw, giving more for the AI to play with in combat can make things much more interesting.
Matthias did nothing wrong!