Attack/Transport Truck

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

skywalger
Novice

Attack/Transport Truck

Post by skywalger » April 30th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Hey folks

I wanna show you my finished low poly....yeah i know I am gonna be late again :-/...Starcraft 2 is whos to blame here :). I am now in a middle of UV unwrapping (uaa I hate this part xD). Hopefully I ll have it all done in 24 hours or so. The truck has cabin interior, openable side doors and cargo door. There is 4672 triangles. I plan 3 versions, they ll differ in texture and metal and wood plates organization.

Martisimus
Initiate

Re: Attack/Transport Truck

Post by Martisimus » May 1st, 2013, 12:14 pm

Hey, Nice progress on your model :)
and yeah I am late as well, so hopefully it's not going to be a problem.

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » May 20th, 2013, 5:19 am

Hey, this is it...finally. I did not have much time recently so it took some time. Just one Q: Does anyone know how to setup 2-sided matrerial in Unity? Well I guess InXile will figure it out eventualy.

Update: Ok I submitted it to the unity store. In the end there are 4 versions of this truck in green and desert camo. Poly count is 4565 tris., textures in 2K resolution. And here is one nicer render for you :))

Update: I recently discovered Marmoset Toolbag - awesome and quick way to render game assets - see turnable Military Truck in this video: http://youtu.be/cxbf2dK9klQ

Last edited by skywalger on May 21st, 2013, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » May 20th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I want that truck to be driveable! :shock:
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » May 21st, 2013, 3:30 am

skywalger wrote:Just one Q: Does anyone know how to setup 2-sided matrerial in Unity? Well I guess InXile will figure it out eventualy.
I have no idea how you would do it in Unity or if guys at InXile would be able to use those solutions in their game at all but it was asked before around here and one of the InXile guys said, that you can just select all the polygons, that you want to be double sided and them duplicate and invert them. So you end up with two versions of each polygon sitting on top of each other but with their normals pointing in opposite directions. Of course that means you end up with more polygons and some extra texture space will be needed but it's simple solution that works.

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » May 21st, 2013, 3:56 am

Martisimus wrote:
skywalger wrote:Just one Q: Does anyone know how to setup 2-sided matrerial in Unity? Well I guess InXile will figure it out eventualy.
I have no idea how you would do it in Unity or if guys at InXile would be able to use those solutions in their game at all but it was asked before around here and one of the InXile guys said, that you can just select all the polygons, that you want to be double sided and them duplicate and invert them. So you end up with two versions of each polygon sitting on top of each other but with their normals pointing in opposite directions. Of course that means you end up with more polygons and some extra texture space will be needed but it's simple solution that works.

Yeah I was considering this solution. But I think it is kind of "dirty" one. I believe that professional (payd) version of Unity should support 2-sidded materials. For example Cryengine supports 2-sided mat.

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » May 21st, 2013, 5:45 am

Hey...I found a video which shows how to create 2-sided shader in unity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_6e39Sqf8. I ll try it soon

VitorF
Acolyte

Post by VitorF » June 6th, 2013, 6:17 am

A beauty, dam i really can't wait to see all these assets in game awsome. :o

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » June 13th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Ok, I just found out that it stucked at Assetstore queue for some time unnoticed. GRRRRR But it should be in InXile s hands now to review.

kroska
Initiate

Post by kroska » June 13th, 2013, 8:50 pm

great work.