Batch 4 - Watchtower - WIP

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Martisimus
Initiate

Batch 4 - Watchtower - WIP

Post by Martisimus » April 25th, 2013, 3:25 am

Hi
I though I would give this a try. I did some of my own concepts for the watchtower. I guess most people will probably stick pretty close to the original design and no need to have several same models, plus coming up with the designs is the most fun part :)

So here are some of my ideas, I won't be able to do all of them of course, I mean heck, I don't know if I manage do finish at least one, especially since the deadline is pretty short and I am quite new to low-polygon modeling (mostly used to do high-polygon like zbrush stuff etc..)

I think I will start with the bus tower, which is just different version of the original concept. I guess better to keep it simple for now. I also don't know if some of these concepts aren't too "unique"? Somebody mentioned that if the model looks to distinctive it may be difficult to reuse it, although I could do some variations of the same design.

Garbage tower, just made out of random rubbish, with some iron construction inside holding it all together but you can't see that. There is a door at the back, presumably there would be ladder inside and then small trapdoor to get you on top of the tower. I though maybe they could use some old street lights either as a random support columns for the roof or they could actually still work, like if they would have some small generator there, they could use at night.

Train tower, made out of old train with roof bended to the side, as a support for the floor of the tower.

And then finally crazy Train fortress, made out of some old train carriages. The top large carriage is split in half and opened. They could have some generator there to power lights and small radio antenna to communicate with the main center. I guess they could sleep there as well.

QUESTION: I am mostly used to highpoly, so I am a bit worried about those triangle counts. Is the limit for the whole tower really just 3000 triangles? It's just that I noticed that it was 4000 for that turret and I think 5000 for that small house? It seems a bit odd that small turret has bigger poly budget than the whole big tower. Anyway, I will try to fit into it.
Wish me good luck :)
Last edited by Martisimus on April 28th, 2013, 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

CougarJo
Initiate

Re: Batch 4 - Watchtower - WIP

Post by CougarJo » April 25th, 2013, 4:24 am

Really nice concepts :D Especially the 2 and 3!

A turret needs to be detailled, with a strong silhouette. A building or a construction, even if it is larger, has less details, and more bigger surface, that's why it has a lower polycount :D

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » April 25th, 2013, 4:58 am

Hey neighbor,

these concepts are just awesome! Just wanna let you know that I ll be happy to model one of them when I am finished with my attack truck (if you give me permission ;-)).

good luck man!

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » April 25th, 2013, 4:59 am

CougarJo wrote:Really nice concepts :D Especially the 2 and 3!

A turret needs to be detailled, with a strong silhouette. A building or a construction, even if it is larger, has less details, and more bigger surface, that's why it has a lower polycount :D
Well sure, if your building is just a simple cube with maybe few windows, but tower made of all this garbage has tons of objects everywhere a lot of detailing. I don't see how you could fake this with just textures and it needs to have strong silhouette as well. It just seems odd especially since even that shanty shack had poly budget of 5K if I remember correctly and that was for the most part just a simple cube with some details here and there, so 3k would seem appropriate but for this I would expect more like 5k or something like that. Either way I will see what I can do within that budged.

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » April 25th, 2013, 5:03 am

skywalger wrote:Hey neighbor,

these concepts are just awesome! Just wanna let you know that I ll be happy to model one of them when I am finished with my attack truck (if you give me permission ;-)).

good luck man!
Hi, nice to see another countrymen :)
Sure, you can help, I certainly won't be able to do all of them. I wanted to do even more concepts, as it's rather fun but I thought better stop it here, as the deadline is short.
I could also use some help with some stuff, as I am not new 3D in general but my experience with low poly is limited and I am completely new to Unity, still have no idea how materials work here but I guess I will try to figure it out later.

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » April 25th, 2013, 5:12 am

Martisimus wrote:
skywalger wrote:Hey neighbor,

good luck man!
Hi, nice to see another countrymen :)
Sure, you can help, I certainly won't be able to do all of them. I wanted to do even more concepts, as it's rather fun but I thought better stop it here, as the deadline is short.
I could also use some help with some stuff, as I am not new 3D in general but my experience with low poly is limited and I am completely new to Unity, still have no idea how materials work here but I guess I will try to figure it out later.
Thx man,...about the deadline - it is not absolute. Just if you are hoping to have your submission mentiond in some promo updates or somenthing like that, then you have to submit till the deadline. Otherwise you can submit also after the deadline and if inxile like it, they ll buy it even so.

Unity is quity easy to learn. I was also new to it with my first submission. If you have any Q just PM me and we can talk czech xD.

See you

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » April 27th, 2013, 6:37 am

Here is my low polygon version of the bus watchtower. I have already done highrez version for the bus and some other objects in the scene, so I will try to capture all that into normal map and then it's time for some texturing.

Last edited by Martisimus on April 28th, 2013, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reece
Initiate

Post by Reece » April 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm

The images are broken?

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » April 28th, 2013, 2:04 am

Reece wrote:The images are broken?
What the ... it did work when I submitted it. It seems like that dropbox is rather unreliable hosting. Never mind, I changed the hosting so hopefully it should work now.

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » May 1st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Finally some progress.
I got stuck on normals maps, egh, I had no idea they are such a pain. I have only used them couple of times on some highrez models and thought there is nothing to it but apparently I was wrong, oh well never mind, it's all done now.

Here is highrez model from zbrush. I realize this it's probably total overkill for something like this but usually work in zbrush so that's kind of what I am used to.

And here is my model in Unity, using the lighting from that default InExile scene. According to Unity it has 2730 triangles. There is normal map and for diffuse I have only AO map for now. Time for some texturing and yeah I am kind of late.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » May 2nd, 2013, 10:44 am

nice work! :D

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » May 2nd, 2013, 11:21 am

It looks great!
I only have some criticism from the practical aspect of defending the tower. The ladders come from behind and leave defenders vulnerable to a sneak attack.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 2nd, 2013, 3:57 pm

Inca wrote:It looks great!
I only have some criticism from the practical aspect of defending the tower. The ladders come from behind and leave defenders vulnerable to a sneak attack.
If that back door, into the guard house, is lockable and very secure, then it's a non-issue.

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » May 4th, 2013, 7:25 am

Inca wrote:It looks great!
Yeah I thought about that, originally (as it's in that first concept) I planned to put some small fence around the part or the whole tower but it wouldn't quite fit into my polygon budged, plus this is mostly up to the guys putting together the levels, to place it somewhere where it makes sense or where the back may not be as easily accessible.
Other thing is, that the whole tower is so old and rusty that it would be nearly impossible to climb it silently.

Anyway, I think I am done. Texturing is finally finished.
Here is Texture decal view, so no lighting/shading

and here is how it looks in Unity under InXile's lighting

and textures themselves

izombie
Initiate

Post by izombie » May 8th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Looks pretty good to me! :D

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » May 10th, 2013, 7:28 am

izombie wrote:Looks pretty good to me! :D
Thanks, I am glad you like it :)

Ok, I am not sure if it's too late for this but since there is apparently going to be another batch at some point and it seems like a quite a few people are still working on their models, I though I would start another one. At worst it's at least going to be some extra practice.

So here is my train watchtower model, loaded in Unity, with normal maps and baked in AO map as a diffuse texture. Now it's time for some texturing, again.

Martisimus
Initiate

Post by Martisimus » May 16th, 2013, 7:57 am

Texturing finally finished, so here are some images from Unity using lighting from the test scene.

And decal textures, no lighting/shading and no normal map as well

and finally the textures themselves

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » May 18th, 2013, 4:31 am

oh wow! seriously nice work, both of them :)
marmelade & jam

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » May 21st, 2013, 4:05 am

Really nice towers Martisimus! I love the way you used Zbrush. It is good to see that Zbrush is good not only for character artists :)

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » May 22nd, 2013, 1:41 pm

Keep going man, those are epic! :twisted:
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)