Water Truck (WIP)

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Prowokator
Initiate

Water Truck (WIP)

Post by Prowokator » April 23rd, 2013, 12:46 pm

Hello, I started working today on this:

At the moment it is about 10000 tris (and will be about that in the end) but if it is really needed to be 6k I can remove some geometry. I have some questions on this subject:

I would like to know if it is needed to model inside of the cabin or should I just cover all the windows with plating as in the concept art? At the moment it is possible to open the doors, though the cabin is empty. Removing this capability would reduce the polycount quite a lot as the doors could be just in the textures.

Also, how much of the underside should be modeled? Are vehicles just immobile meshes or can they move/explode/flip etc?
If the vehicle should be able to move around, should I build the rig for animating?

(image above has the "no doors cabin" + one of the doors as floating geometry just to get an idea how the normals will look)

Prowokator
Initiate

Re: Water Truck (WIP)

Post by Prowokator » April 25th, 2013, 6:47 am

Still waiting for some sort of answer for my questions :(

Anyways, I ditched the doors and just kept going..

The side windows' "plating" are place holders. Some parts could still use some optimizing, and I would really like to know how much of the under side should be modeled.

All sorts of critique are welcome.

McDougle
Adventurer

Re: Water Truck (WIP)

Post by McDougle » April 25th, 2013, 11:57 am

Can't figure why I'm the first to comment- it looks really good. :)

Maybe it needs "BackToTheFuture"-style doors? :P

P.s.: You should also make a crackedopen version with a bumped bumper & a fixed water container.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)