Batch 4 - Container watchtower (WIP)

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

ImPeRaToR
Initiate

Batch 4 - Container watchtower (WIP)

Post by ImPeRaToR » April 22nd, 2013, 8:53 am

What I had initially in mind was more than just a semi-permanent watch tower and more of an observation station so I put that on hold for now. This is the stripped-down "standalone" tower, support will be added later :) Everything is WIP (including mapping and textures of course) and still very simplified:

As mentioned I will add support struts and some sort of ladder and decorate the top of the tower a bit further, as well as adding to the geometry of the container, with some dents and bents. Not sure if the basic geometry of the pristine container is sufficient, I am not sure adding more polys will actually add much eye candy.

Please post your thoughts, comments and ideas :)

McDougle
Adventurer

Re: Batch 4 - Container watchtower (WIP)

Post by McDougle » April 22nd, 2013, 3:18 pm

Looks like a start! :)

Don´t forget to add a guarded/locked entry at the bottom. ;)
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

ImPeRaToR
Initiate

Post by ImPeRaToR » April 23rd, 2013, 6:40 am

That's the thing, I am not sure how the game handles such small interiors so I was going to put the ladder outside of the container rather than the more logical choice, inside, I would much prefer the latter option though.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » April 23rd, 2013, 7:20 am

One of the devs in another thread asked to put ladders on the outside due to pathing issues. On the work, it seems disproportionately tall. Shipping containers tend to be 8ft x8ft x40ft if that's what you're basing it on.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

ImPeRaToR
Initiate

Post by ImPeRaToR » April 23rd, 2013, 8:04 am

Thanks for the info. About the proportions, you are the third guy to mention this but the container is actually 12x2.4x2.4m in dimension, don't really know what's up with that :) Here a newly-created box in the same dimensions just to show that I haven't accidentally changed the scaling after converting it to a poly object:

Maybe I should use a 20ft container instead, 12m is rather tall and awkward to climb on flimsy ladders :)

Andux
Initiate

Post by Andux » April 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Maybe you could have the bottom end sort of "dug in" ~5-10 feet below ground level? That would make it look a bit shorter... also, less likely to tip over.

ImPeRaToR
Initiate

Post by ImPeRaToR » May 1st, 2013, 6:52 am

That would solve the problem of the height, but it would create new problems I think. The dug-up ground around the container would have to match the used tile-set of the rest of the scene if I am not mistaken, so I would have to make a special matching tile-set or I would have to make several tower versions to match different tile-sets or something.

Please correct me if I am wrong though :)

Andux
Initiate

Post by Andux » May 1st, 2013, 10:08 pm

I'd expect that as long as you use a separate material for the dirt, they should be able to just swap in a different set of textures for each terrain type; you might want to check with their tileset guy, though.