Bookshelf WIP

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

cw8
Scholar

Bookshelf WIP

Post by cw8 » April 17th, 2013, 6:02 am

Edge outline render. Not textured yet, not looking forward to it, especially the books..

Think I went overkill on the musical box, I cut the head off my earlier models and placed it on the body I modelled, won't be able to see from far anyways, so I probably toning it down or removing it totally.

5963 poly count? Not sure if it's too much? Guess it's off to texturing, ugh..

McDougle
Adventurer

Re: Bookshelf WIP

Post by McDougle » April 17th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Use a simple bobble instead of that head(maybe with a simple outstanding wig).

And you can easily texture "plain" bookcovers in simple aged green, & red colors(think those old books in FO3 ;) ).
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

izombie
Initiate

Post by izombie » April 18th, 2013, 8:42 am

Your books could all share the same topology, in which case you can transfer UVs from one to another. In the end your lores should really just be cubes for each book, if not a wide rectangle for a stack of books since the budget for this asset is only 500 or so tris ;)

Remember this world is seen pretty zoomed out, so I doubt stuff like the little ballerina in the music box will be visible, let alone her face which is pretty dense with polys! Maybe something bigger like the Bobblehead McDougle suggested would read better

Otherwise, it looks pretty good :)

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » April 18th, 2013, 11:22 am

Yeah, thanks for the advise and feedback! Yeah, gonna remove the head, and place a blocky polygonal thing. Begun texturing the books, one by one.
It says 500 polys a piece, it doesn't say a piece in the other concept arts like the ruined building, not sure what that means, but I assume it's < 500 polys per item in the scene. :mrgreen:

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 22nd, 2013, 4:53 pm

looks very nice, very well done, but it has more of a 50sn 60s fallout vibe, than an 80s wasteland vibe

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » April 25th, 2013, 7:21 am

Still WIP I guess but I wanna go back to trying out the destroyed building and going back to playing my games. I dread and suck at texturing so I took a week:
All the books are individual entities, and can be dragged around and moved. I hope that's ok. Left bookshelf with all the crap is 4374 polys, right bookcase is 2500 polys, 1829 polys if the reel is removed. In comparison, my previous lab table asset is 2650 polys, so I really hope this is ok lol.

Textured about 8 books which I copied and pasted around the bookcase, made the covers for the ones with titles except for the science book which I downloaded.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » April 25th, 2013, 11:15 am

I love those textures... make a simple normalmap & this is a given WL2 prop. ;)
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 3rd, 2013, 7:12 am

Tets wrote:looks very nice, very well done, but it has more of a 50sn 60s fallout vibe, than an 80s wasteland vibe
I was thinking that too
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » May 4th, 2013, 9:08 am

Woolfe wrote:
Tets wrote:looks very nice, very well done, but it has more of a 50sn 60s fallout vibe, than an 80s wasteland vibe
I was thinking that too
If it's the record player, I can easily remove it or modify it to make it look more like an 80s record player. :lol: But I submitted it so I need to wait for approval or disapproval before doing anything. If it's the film reels, I dunno, I just followed the description of the concept art.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 4th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Yeah the phonograph doesn't fit. I was born in '79 and I've never seen one in my entire life. That makes me think something like that would be pretty rare in the 80s and 90s. Replace it with either an 8 track player or 80s boombox, I'd say.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 4th, 2013, 10:44 pm

I've never seen one like that, but I had a stand alone record player as a kid. The speaker was just build in to the body.

In fact, I think it was this model. It looks like cheap crap, but it actually worked and suvived by me and my brother. But, yeah, the bell amplifier is more 50s, I think.

I mean, it'll work if you can't replace it, though. Also, I'd go with a boombox before an 8 track. 8 tracks were pretty solidly 70s; cassette tapes annihilated their market in the early 80s.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » May 12th, 2013, 8:13 am

I've replaced the bell record player with another record player :lol: Well I'm from the early 80s and I know they exist in the 80s because there was one in the house then before my parents threw it away. It had the most interesting blue glows and lights.. Well anyways:
In Unity:

I wanted to make the top cover semi-transparent plastic type like it should be but can't do it without making a new texture or screwing up the transparency for the rest of the items so I made it of wood. I've submitted for review and got approved, so I just resubmitted to the store this time with the "new" record player. I kept the old record player which can be deleted anytime, they're all seperate meshes.