Work Shop Equipment Assets

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Inca
Explorer

Work Shop Equipment Assets

Post by Inca » March 19th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I was wondering if inXile would be interested in work shop equipment assets for the WL2?

I wanted to contribute so I decided to teach myself the free tools available on the net (Blender, Gimp, xNormal). I spent last week watching tutorials on YouTube, and last weekend I gave it shot:
Created Low Poly onbect in SolidWorks and based on it Created High poly object with details. Exported them as VRML. Imported them into blender as wrl. Unwrapped UV of the Low Poly object and baked Normals and Occlusion with xNormal. Exported UV to gimp and painted it. Dropped the result into the Unity scene.
Now I need to figure out how to get it into the store.
I would really appreciate any criticism and/or advice on how to improve this asset, maybe people can share their tips about creating game assets?
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Work Shop Equipment Assets

Post by Drool » March 19th, 2013, 8:40 pm

That's a pretty nice drill press. It seems to be missing a power cord. I assume the red dial on the top is for lowering the drill when using it? All the presses I ever used had a three-armed wheel thing (it's been a few years) on the side for that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 20th, 2013, 4:53 am

Drool,

This is a milling machine, a much more versatile tool, it can make pockets and bosses generally designed to machine metal in 3 Axis, versus a drill press which is only used to make holes, but I do intend to model a drill press as well, with a 3 handle arbor gear.
Generally I am hoping that this set of various shop equipment pieces could be used in the game in repair shops or production facilities to make guns and fix equipment.

I was thinking about power cords and or gas hoses (if I ever to make an acetylene torch), so it is not off the table, but I am afraid it maybe difficult to orient the cord in some sort of universal way so it can be used as a prop in many locations.

Fatman
Initiate

Post by Fatman » March 20th, 2013, 10:03 am

What's the final poly count? Maybe give us a wireframe on the low poly. It looks great from what I can see!

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 20th, 2013, 3:42 pm

there are 1544 tris in the low poly model and about 30K in high poly model

These are the machines I am thinking about modeling:

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 20th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Started on Lathe tonight, here is low poly Mesh, still needs wheels and handles, took me about 2 hours. Right now 2100 tris.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » March 20th, 2013, 8:31 pm

This looks great!
Considering this is your first low-poly model, at least thats how I understood, you did a very good job here.

It's a little bit funny though that you mention the free tools but include Solidworks to your workflow.
You could do all the modeling in Blender of course, but if Solidworks is similar to Catia V5 I can understand why you want to use it for this kind of object.

There are only very few things I can criticise.
- the normal map seams to have a couple of errors, e.g. lines at the edges of the base. I guess you use edge-split modifier, how did to you setup the normal bake in xmornal? If you want to stick with xnormal and Blender, Metallandi has a workflow which works well: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... er+xnormal
- add some margin to your UV islands, it can cause bleeding if they are too close
- The dents / scratches on the side look to angular, you can try to sculpt them in.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 20th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I really use SW because I am an engineer by trade, so I am just more comfortable modeling in my regular CAD package for the sake of speed. These are indeed my first attempts in creating game assets so I goof alot. Like that bake job you mentioned. I made my texture in gimp and than used blender to bake occlusion and than applied it to the texture, but bake came out horrible, and I forgot to save layers, instead exported to png right away, so I got stuck with weired lines on the texture. I am going to redo it anyway. Right now gimp is my weakest point :(.
Actually I am not looking for any money off this, so if there are artists willing to do the paint job, and export this work to unity I would be very happy to collaborate. For me this is just honest desire to help the WL2 team, and get them some freebies. I find xNormal much easier to use than blender for baking, but that just could be the learning curve with Blender GUI.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 20th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Inca wrote:This is a milling machine
Ah, right. Fair enough.
I was thinking about power cords and or gas hoses (if I ever to make an acetylene torch), so it is not off the table, but I am afraid it maybe difficult to orient the cord in some sort of universal way so it can be used as a prop in many locations.
I almost didn't mention the cord, honestly. It seems like something that wouldn't necessary survive for decades without care, while the metal machine itself would. Of course, tools like this in the Ranger Center are probably very well maintained.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 22nd, 2013, 9:26 pm

Hey guys, I made some progress on the High Poly Lathe, so I am going to do he texture tomorrow.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 23rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

OK Finally got the Lathe into the Unity Scene, no Normals were applied, something is really weired is going on with my normals, but this map is OK.

Last edited by Inca on March 24th, 2013, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » March 23rd, 2013, 11:46 pm

Those look absolutely fantastic. The most minor nitpicking detail I can recommend is that the tool post on the lathe needs a handle.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 24th, 2013, 7:27 am

Thanks GodComplex, I appreciate the positive feedback. You are right, I was skipping on some handles, like lock levers on the tailstock, or mill's turrett and gear switches, etc. Stupid little hadles take up almost 60 tris each and are barely visible afterwards, so I wanted to put the most recognizable features for each model, and blame the lack of some handles on "wear and tear" over 80 years :), I know it's a "cop out", but it is hard to keep the poly counts down. Right now the mill is 1500 and Lathe is 2500, I just feel that if I go over 2500, there is not even a chance for inXile to pick those models.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 24th, 2013, 3:28 pm

OK I put final touches on Lathe and MIll, I think I am going to leave them alone for now. Time to figure out how to put them into Unity Store.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 24th, 2013, 8:30 pm

I really like how the lathe turned out. They look good.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 24th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Thanks Drool. I just uploaded both items to Unity. The process is a little complicated, but I think it went in. I wanted to try the whole workflow. While their guys are reviewing the package, I am going to continue adding new models.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » March 25th, 2013, 2:37 am

They are both looking great!
I like the new colour much more.

You should really get into the normal mapping once more, you made some great high-poly models as well, but now they are kind of waste.
I bake them in Blender, it is really easy.
The only thing I could make working properly are models with split edges, that works fine in xnormals, but is more difficult to setup.

Cheers!

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 25th, 2013, 6:21 am

Prime8Brain,

Thanks for the feedback.
I have basically following problem with Normal Maps:
In blender, I cannot figure out how to do it, I follow the 2.6 wiki and nothing happens (I feel really stupid, I know it’s something very simple that I am missing, but I don’t know what) I get an error about object not being selected, and I think selected everything, so if you could give me a clue, I would really appreciate it.
xNormals has very easy interface, but I get weird artifacts in my maps, my lead screw and handles were being projected on the wrong surfaces-directly behind them. So I tried tools and ray trace calculation, that didn’t help much (a little). Than I tried to bake it piece wise, by splitting High poly model, but I would still get artifacts all over the map, even though it was just one small piece being baked. Also I tried “match to UV” option and I was getting blank maps.
Basically, I need to work on figuring out normals some more, right now my maps are horrible.
Any hints to make them work are really appreciated, because technically it is a lot easier for me to make high poly objects than low poly, so I can create a lot of detail, but I am stuck right now.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » March 25th, 2013, 8:01 am

Yes the xnormal GUI is quite simple, but needs more work, exporting to .obj etc.

I try to explain how to bake in Blender.
1. make sure high and low poly model have there normals in the correct direction and dont point inwards your model, you wont see that right away since Blender shows backfaces
2. make sure an image is assigned to your low poly, since you need something to bake to (you can check it in the UV editor)
3. both object must be active for rendering (small camera icon in the object list)
4. shading for the lowpoly must be smooth, turn off split edges if you have it (this will look strange without any texture)
5. In object mode select the high poly first, then select the low poly (shift key)
6. In the bake option, select normal..of course, check "Selected to Active", increase margin to maybe 16 depending on your UV layout
7. bake, finished

As long as you dont have any floating geometry don't change the bias or distance.

Hope I didn't miss anything.
Good luck :)

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 25th, 2013, 8:27 am

Just a quick remark on Blender normal baking: I've had a similar issue, here's the question on gamedev.stackexchange that I've posted, and the great answer the people there gave me:

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questi ... ird-colors