Work Shop Equipment Assets

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Inca
Explorer

Re: Work Shop Equipment Assets

Post by Inca » March 25th, 2013, 8:49 pm

shivan, Prime8Brain,

Thank you guys. I tried your advice and I was kinda successful. I was able to create much better looking Normals Map forLathe in Blender, than in xNormal (though there were still some odd spots). My Mill would not bake in blender, I would get an error "feedback loop detected" over and over, so I decided to bake it in xNormal, which did produce an ok map, but still with some odd ridges and spots. Nevertheless I think overall the pictures below are from unity with Normal maps applied and they do look better than without normals.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 26th, 2013, 12:28 am

Feedback loops come from using the same image as a texture on the object as the one you are baking to.
Simply disable any textures on the objects will fix it.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 26th, 2013, 1:55 am

Looks good! Maybe you should manually add some "roughness" in the normal map for the rusty parts...

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 26th, 2013, 7:38 am

GunslingerStudio:

Thanks, for the explanation, it was driving me nuts.

shivan:

I think you are right, I am going to experiment with that tonight. Do you use some sort of Gray to Normal conversion tool in GIMP to do this?

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 26th, 2013, 11:56 am

Inca wrote:GunslingerStudio:

Thanks, for the explanation, it was driving me nuts.

shivan:

I think you are right, I am going to experiment with that tonight. Do you use some sort of Gray to Normal conversion tool in GIMP to do this?

NP :)

One way to get rough normal maps is to bake them in blender. Use a noisy generated texture (procedural) as normal map and bake that to a normal map. This noisy normal map will blend over your edges perfectly since it is continuous in 3D space. Combine this noisy map with your flat version in gimp, to limit it to the rusty part only. Then blend the two together. I'm obviously not an expert explaining or doing this, consider it an idea. :)

BTW, the models are great!

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 26th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Thanks Man! That's a good advise. I was wondering, what do you use to combine maps: Mix, Multiply ....?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 26th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Honestly, what I do to get normal map for already created rust or such is to take the diffuse version, desaturate it and pull in the curves to the extreme (so that there's more of an extreme black and white to it and less grey-ish parts) in Photoshop. Works most of the time, prolly not the best way to do it, but good for a quick and dirty version :)

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 27th, 2013, 12:29 am

Inca wrote:Thanks Man! That's a good advise. I was wondering, what do you use to combine maps: Mix, Multiply ....?
I'm not at all sure how to use gimp/ps. I have seen crazybump beeing used for this (and much more).

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » May 2nd, 2013, 6:47 am

Guys, finally my shop equipment got approved by inXile and Unity and is now part of Unity store under Wasteland 2 badge.