Tanker Car and Cabin

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

virgil
Initiate

Tanker Car and Cabin

Post by virgil » March 11th, 2013, 7:56 pm

This is two art batches ago, when I did a blast door. I really liked this concept though so I kept working here and there during free time, and after a few days of solid work I'm more or less happy with it.

These two shots are inside the unity lighting setup provided. The tricky bit here I will have to go back and fix is the material is not double sided by default, so my barbed wire is not fully present. It has 8657 tris and 2048 maps.

These are from the marmoset toolbag, with a RGB specular/gloss map as well (and double sided yay)

Maps

Prime8brain
Novice

Re: Tanker Car and Cabin

Post by Prime8brain » March 12th, 2013, 4:36 am

Hi Virgil,

this looks great! :)
I especially like the tank and wooden plant textures.

I wouldn't make the gun part of the asset though, but of course they can remove it as well if it doesn't fit to the scene.
The scale seams to be little bit too big, the figure is very small compared to the car, looks like it's out of the light cone as well.

Good job! :D

virgil
Initiate

Post by virgil » March 12th, 2013, 6:41 am

Hey Prime8brain thanks for the comments! I definitely can see what you mean about the scale being too large, I originally thought so as well, I've taken another shot inside unity for reference.

A quick google shows me this image

These guys are probably standing below the tracks by a few inches, but that tanker is really quite large. I was thinking last night of going in and adding some bullet holes to the tank and armor plates, but I probably won't have time until tomorrow, and figure out how to do the barbed wire.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » March 13th, 2013, 6:00 am

from this perspective the scale is completely fine.
The figure silhouette now obviously looks very small on the previous shot, the poor guy just has 2 dimensions ;)

If you want to add bullet holes I would place them around the openings on the container level not the tank actually.

The barbwire could me extruded but that would add a lot to your polycount for just a detail object.
How about changing it to some small barbwire fence that bends outside but has straight barbwire?

virgil
Initiate

Post by virgil » March 13th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I think you're on the right track for the barbed wire. Originally I did have it extruded, but it was a crazy tri count for something so insignificant. I will do a straight wire version, or see how it looks without it at all. It doesn't quite make sense they'd have barbed wire on top, but along the bottom so people didn't grab on. We'll see how I feel when I have some more time for it though.

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » March 13th, 2013, 3:25 pm

i'm no pro, but that's an ace work imo

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 22nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

looks good :D