Rusty van

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Post Reply
GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 6th, 2013, 1:46 pm

To keep myself busy, I have made a rusty van. Comments are welcome! :)

Some screenshots:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
shivan
Acolyte
Posts: 58
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by shivan » March 6th, 2013, 2:39 pm

I really like the geometry, very nice touches on the rounded corners there. How many triangles does it have?

Textures look great as well, IMHO.

Just, as a small critique, I think you should tweak some more the glossiness/shiness of your material, maybe even the specular map. The over all shininess is ok, but I dunno, it doesn't really really look metallic enough... Might just be the angle, post a photo with the Wasteland2 camera...

User avatar
shivan
Acolyte
Posts: 58
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by shivan » March 6th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Oh and also, and this is strictly a personal quirk of mine: set your Unity render quality to highest. You'll get rid of all the aliasing and textures will look better as well. Other wise it might hinder the initial quality of your work...

Prime8brain
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 4:22 am

Re: Rusty van

Post by Prime8brain » March 7th, 2013, 4:17 am

Very nice!

I don't think it should look more metallic since it is very rusty and dirty, for my taste it's fine.
Only few things I might criticize, the grille in the front looks too "rough" and some holes were the headlights have been would be nice.

Cheers

Crocapaw
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: January 27th, 2013, 10:27 am

Re: Rusty van

Post by Crocapaw » March 7th, 2013, 10:06 am

Very cool Van, the general look totally fits Wasteland. My suggestion would be to add more materials if you have time. The grill, bumpers and even the rims would be made from different materials that would break down differently.

Hopefully we will see a new batch soon, I have also been working on my own stuff, but its not Wasteland related.

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 8th, 2013, 11:38 pm

shivan wrote:I really like the geometry, very nice touches on the rounded corners there. How many triangles does it have?

Textures look great as well, IMHO.

Just, as a small critique, I think you should tweak some more the glossiness/shiness of your material, maybe even the specular map. The over all shininess is ok, but I dunno, it doesn't really really look metallic enough... Might just be the angle, post a photo with the Wasteland2 camera...
Thanks! I have only paid much attention to textures, not materials. But I am reasonably content with the look of it.
I will try to record a video of the van on the turntable through the WL2 camera.

Thanks for the tip on the quality.

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 8th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Prime8brain wrote:Very nice!

I don't think it should look more metallic since it is very rusty and dirty, for my taste it's fine.
Only few things I might criticize, the grille in the front looks too "rough" and some holes were the headlights have been would be nice.

Cheers
Thanks!
Headlights, you are right. Sloppy. :-(
The grille, hmmm yes... you may have a point there. I want it to be exaggerated. But maybe it is a little bit to much. :)

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 8th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Crocapaw wrote:Very cool Van, the general look totally fits Wasteland. My suggestion would be to add more materials if you have time. The grill, bumpers and even the rims would be made from different materials that would break down differently.

Hopefully we will see a new batch soon, I have also been working on my own stuff, but its not Wasteland related.
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that submissions to WL2 only can contain one material per model. You have a point though, I can try to make some parts of it stand out more. Such as the grill beeing chrome.

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 9th, 2013, 1:30 am

Okay, video is up. It features comments in swedish by my son. Sorry for the bad audio quality. :oops:

http://youtu.be/b9eh9ZVDAbA

User avatar
shivan
Acolyte
Posts: 58
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by shivan » March 9th, 2013, 3:17 pm

IMHO the van looks great in the video. The rusty metallic aspect is very realistic, and details show up ok when looking through the WL2 camera. Only thing you might wanna do is add more "story telling" details, like crusty dirt, bullet holes, spray painted messages on the side, stuff like that...

You mentioned Specular map: have you actually made a separate specular map, or do you use the default Unity Specular material and use the diffuse map's alpha channel for specularity?

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 12th, 2013, 11:51 am

Thanks... I'm not sure about story telling. Of course, they can add quite a bit of atmosphere, but also, they make an object less reusable. The same story can't be told over and over again.

I'm interested in what others think about this...!?

It's the standard Unity bumped specular material. So I have compiled my psd-file into a tga with alpha layer. The psd-file is in the package so inXile can play with the different layers, should the want.

I desperately need another batch! :)

Prime8brain
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 4:22 am

Re: Rusty van

Post by Prime8brain » March 13th, 2013, 6:08 am

Story telling... I would agree that it can make a object less reusable, so story telling basically depends on how often you want to use a object.
Like if you see a bloody hand print (I thought I saw this somewhere here) on each blastdoor, it would be kind of weird.

All just my opinion, professional game designers might think quite different :D

And yes another batch is needed ;)

GunslingerStudio
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: January 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Rusty van

Post by GunslingerStudio » May 14th, 2013, 1:27 pm


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests