Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Prime8brain
Novice

Re: Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

Post by Prime8brain » April 9th, 2013, 5:12 pm

@MSully

I would like to comment your texture.
It is too repetitive, you can even see it on the model.
I recommend either to remove the repetition from the texture or shrink it down and only use the repeating parts. Otherwise you waste lots of texture space as well.

cheers

pmt9
Initiate

Post by pmt9 » April 9th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Here is my door put together in unity, i'm going to put this in the unity store. Any feedback would be very appreciative.
This is my normal map

This is my spec map

This is my diffuse map

This is the door in unity

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » April 10th, 2013, 1:00 am

Pmt9 (might be useful for others too):

The normal map looks a little too contrasty.
Also, especially if you have a strong normal map it means that it contains most lightning information so the diffuse map should not have them, or only slightly, so no need for hard shadowings on the diffuse, or at least they can be more subtle.

Diffuse map in complex shaders should mostly contain color information, and perhaps enhance on the others where needed,
but all the enchancements are illusion in the final result.

If you include a normal map, and also paint the shadows striking from a fix direction on the diffuse, than the normal map wont have its effect on the lighting of the model if it gets light from another direction.. Details will flat out or even appear inplausible or hollow.

Other stuff: minor immersion breaker is the texture on the outer border of the door, it's a bit too telling, that it was cut from a single rectangle, consider adding something to it that breaks this feel.

Besides these little tweaks it looks great:)

Forecast
Initiate

Post by Forecast » April 17th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Joseph Stachura here. Just posting progress on the Blast door asset I have been working on and looking for some feedback.

Diffuse:

Spec:

Normal:

Asset in Unity Test Scene:

Mshulman
Initiate

Post by Mshulman » May 1st, 2013, 12:49 am

I've been working on my corner and I'm almost ready to submit to the Unity Store.

I've also been working on the Love Statue (from the public domain)
I plan to make it look dirty when it gets textured.

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » May 1st, 2013, 6:42 am

Mshulman, your corner turned out great :)
I was thinking about your love statue, I think it would look good if it were made of concrete. Maybe cracked, dirty, covered in graffiti/moss/bird crap.
It looks like the kind of statue you would see at a business park.
Mostly harmless.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » May 1st, 2013, 12:15 pm

There is a piece like that in the center of Philadelphia.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » May 4th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Firstly, I wanted to say thank you for accepting my Shanty Garage model and thank you for all of the advice on it.

And now, I am working on a new model for Wasteland. It's not from any of the Batches. I figured I'd make a broken tv. At first, I had an idea of sticking an axe through it, as if someone hit it in anger. Then someone gave me the idea of maybe putting a remote through the center of the screen. I might do two other models with those ideas in mind. But for now I'm just going for a generic broken tv, which might've suffered a blow or two, and maybe even a kick. I figured something like this can be duplicated and strewn around various garbage dumps or used in part with another model of salvaged parts. I was wondering if you guys have any tips for this.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 4th, 2013, 10:25 pm

It looks neat, but the problem is: CRT televisions have a vacuum between the glass and the CRT itself. If a TV was to be cracked and smashed like that, it would implode (there's probably a million videos of this on Youtube).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

enerses
Initiate

Post by enerses » May 9th, 2013, 10:29 am

It looks neat, but the problem is: CRT televisions have a vacuum between the glass and the CRT itself. If a TV was to be cracked and smashed like that, it would implode (there's probably a million videos of this on Youtube).
What about smashing a CRT computer monitor? Im guessing the same issue? How could she modify her project to accommodate this issue? Maybe leave the outer plastic casing in the same condition but dont smash the glass? What about cracking the glass? Would it still implode if the glass was cracked instead of smashed? That could be a funny prop, a bandage wrapped around the tv with a big crack down the center and some crappy show playing on the tv screen.

Any thoughts on how she can modify her project without having to completely redo it would be appreciated, thanks.

enerses
Initiate

Post by enerses » May 9th, 2013, 10:36 am

So its nearing the end of the spring semester for us. I'm sure you'll get a few more projects into the unity store as students finish their finals and are able to spend some more time on their wl2 projects. I wanted to thank everyone involved, both my students and the artists and community users who helped them along on their projects.

For most of my students, this is only their second class in learning to make 3D assets so Im very proud of their progress and their excellent growth as video game artists. You should all be very proud of your progress and I hope this was an awesome and interesting learning experience for everyone.

I wanted to say that we will be starting up our summer production studio class in the beginning of June. This class focuses on having students working on real world productions and I hope Wasteland 2 will be a big component of the class. Please let me know if the Wasteland 2 team is interested in continuing this experiment into the summer.

Thanks again and wish the best for all!
Eric

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » May 9th, 2013, 12:26 pm

How about removing the glass, stuffing it with dynamite and glass shards, add a few cables wringling inside it, so it can be fired off with a remote control :D "The wasteland brings Real explosions in your home Television"! :D

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 10th, 2013, 1:12 am

enerses wrote:How could she modify her project to accommodate this issue? Maybe leave the outer plastic casing in the same condition but dont smash the glass? What about cracking the glass? Would it still implode if the glass was cracked instead of smashed?
Presumably if the crack didn't go all the way through, it should probably be okay. The other option would be to reskin the inside to make it look more like a real imploded television:

Or leave it alone. I can suspend disbelief for gibbering mutants, so I can manage a cracked TV. :P
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Surreal Canine
Initiate

Post by Surreal Canine » May 10th, 2013, 9:51 am

After disappearing for several weeks, I am back with another object!

Like my other project, this is a thing you might expect to find on a playground. In this case, something that is apparently called a jungle gym. It's supposed to be partly rusted over like the bike rack, but the lighting doesn't seem to make it especially clear. hmm...

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » May 10th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Drool wrote:
enerses wrote:How could she modify her project to accommodate this issue? Maybe leave the outer plastic casing in the same condition but dont smash the glass? What about cracking the glass? Would it still implode if the glass was cracked instead of smashed?
Presumably if the crack didn't go all the way through, it should probably be okay. The other option would be to reskin the inside to make it look more like a real imploded television:

Or leave it alone. I can suspend disbelief for gibbering mutants, so I can manage a cracked TV. :P
Thank you for your help and ideas guys. While I do like the the idea of taking out the screen and putting dynamite inside, it's very imaginative and gives a sense of humor to the prop, but because of time constraints, I think I'll go with Drool's imploded idea. But I am thinking about adding a second model of the tv with the dynamite inside as an extra prop to inXile!

Vasilios
Initiate

Post by Vasilios » May 10th, 2013, 1:26 pm

For my final project I decided to some outhouses. I did two outhouses that could be used by themselves and then I did a combination one where the two single ones were connected together by a string and can communication system. I wanted to make something that could be use multiple times. The inside is made out if they would like to have the doors opened.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » May 11th, 2013, 12:12 am

Surreal Canine :

If the pieces of textures are that identical they could use the same UV space ( so instead of 20 rectangles there is only one or a few more, based on the shape sizes , so all the previous 20 rectangle's vertices are placed on that one(or few's) rectangle) , that way you could

- have it in a bit higher resolution while using smaller image.
- make sure it's seamlessly tiled across the model ( as of now the probability of edges appearing are high)

Another solution for objects like this is to use a continuous UV unwrap but that would be a lot of work here for not much gain.

Oh one more tip: The Uv faces should resemble the original shapes as much as they can , otherwise it will warp and smear the textures. So if a face is long and thin, like those bars, than the uv should not be bulky and short.
To quote Bilbo Baggins from Lotr: "feel... thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread." :D

MSully
Initiate

Post by MSully » May 13th, 2013, 11:00 pm

My second project for the class was a makeshift bike to go along with the rusty bike rack made out of pipes from earlier. So this bike was cobbled together with whatever was on hand, some pipes for the body, wrenches holding the wheels on, a toilet seat to sit on, and the best part, two fully functioning pistols for the handlebars.

The FBX model is in two halves so once it was in Unity I made two separate prefabs, one with the normal bike and one where it's fallen into pieces.

rrhoud
Initiate

Post by rrhoud » May 15th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Hello,

This is what I have been working on for the last couple of weeks as part of my second project. This is meant to be an old jury rigged computer similar to what you were asking for in an earlier batch of projects. The idea was to have a bunch of old and rusted desktops strung together in order to make a working computer. I like how it came out but I probably should have been posting more progress pictures on the forums.

jakeland
Initiate

Post by jakeland » August 8th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Hello,
Just wanted to say thanks for accepting my last project, the computer desk/terminal. I feel I've made some real progress on my modeling ability and I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys say about what I've been working on over the summer. I looked at the IED category and thought it would be cool to have a Record Player IED. Mostly inspired by my love of explosions, spinning things, and musical devices that are turned into explosives. So here is what I have so far, any feedback would be appreciated.