Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

robertf
Initiate

Re: Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

Post by robertf » March 29th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Hey, here is my finished model and textures. The tanker has a tri count of 5424 and a texture size of 1024 x 1024.

The last three images are all taken in unity the last one being from the camera Wasteland 2 provided.
Are there any changes you would like me to make to the model/texture and if not, is this asset ready for submission to the unity store?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Surreal Canine
Initiate

Post by Surreal Canine » April 2nd, 2013, 9:13 am

In response to the earlier feedback, I disagree. The handlebars, seat, chain, and pedals are missing because they would have been scavenged, and the spokes would have rusted away even if they were visible from such a great distance. The frame is enough to suggest a bike to anyone who's ever seen a bike, especially with the tires still there.
Anyway, I have here a diffuse map and some screenshots of the finished bike in Unity:

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » April 2nd, 2013, 4:17 pm

Hey guys. So my garage model is nearing completion quickly. Posted below are the textures; diffuse, normal, specular, and the model in the Unity scene. Although in the Unity scene, my specular map is inside the alpha channel of the .tiff diffuse map.

A few things I'm currently working on fixing up are; reduce the specularity of the green dog mat (it doesn't need any spec on it at all, actually) and make the dog mat's normal map more spread out evenly throughout the mat. Also, fixing up the roof. I wanna make it less straight and more organically broken, like the brick wall, make the top of the roof a bit diagonal and slid away from the bottom and place a few broken roof pieces on the naked back wall.

Any feedback will be appreciated, and if -with those changes in mind- it will be good as an asset submission?

Thanks.

Vasilios
Initiate

Post by Vasilios » April 2nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Hi my name is Vasilios and here is the blast door I have done in my class. The idea is that the door would open in 4 different directions. The blood that shows on it is suppose to be from someone that tried to get in while it was closing and got their arm chopped of by it.

JamesWolff
Initiate

Post by JamesWolff » April 2nd, 2013, 5:31 pm

salt1219 wrote:wow you clearly put a lot of thought into the story behind your project, i love the whole concept and look of it.
my suggestion is since the slicerdicer head has been enslaved for processing power, you might show some blast marks and a little battle damage hinting at the battle it was won in.
maybe give the computer a little history too like a few faded stickers on the side and a sticky not with the password on it.

i can't wait to see your project come to life
Thank you for the feedback, since then I've finished modeling out the project. I liked the idea of the blast marks on the drone, if you look the head of the drone has been broken open from the fight. I liked the idea of stickers and sticky notes on the computers, I'll place those on while texturing it. Right now the tri count is under 2000 which is what I believe you guys were looking for for old electronics.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » April 3rd, 2013, 1:59 am

Surreal Canine:

Tires are most vulnerable to deformation yet they are perfectly circle, if it did remain like that it would've probably been taken for stuff that needs circular parts.
Now as far as i imagine a functional bike in a post apocaliptic world could be very much a useful thing.
So i see these futures for a bike.

Wrecked beyond repair, scavanged: Deformed,broken parts, eaten by time .. almost unrecognizeable junk.
Repaired till there was nothing to be done: Bike assembled from all kinds of parts. (could be functioning or broken)
Bike untouched by scavengers, but eaten by time: Have all the parts, recognizeable sillouette but now its so old its useless.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » April 3rd, 2013, 3:52 am

ValeriyaK:

IMHO the geometry is quite nice, and the texture concept is good.

The only issue might be the fact that the textures look a bit "low-resolution". What's the resolution of the texture files? I think you can go as high as 2048x2048 for a prop this size. Also, if you do go for 2048x2048 make sure you specifically set that resolution on each texture in Unity, or else it will under-sample them to 1024x1024 (the default).

Also, you can play with the other settings for texture quality (filtering, aniso, etc). Finally set your Unity's render quality to "highest".

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » April 3rd, 2013, 8:18 am

shivan wrote:ValeriyaK:

IMHO the geometry is quite nice, and the texture concept is good.

The only issue might be the fact that the textures look a bit "low-resolution". What's the resolution of the texture files? I think you can go as high as 2048x2048 for a prop this size. Also, if you do go for 2048x2048 make sure you specifically set that resolution on each texture in Unity, or else it will under-sample them to 1024x1024 (the default).

Also, you can play with the other settings for texture quality (filtering, aniso, etc). Finally set your Unity's render quality to "highest".
I apologize if I forgot to mention, all of the texture files themselves are 2048x2048, I had to resize them to smaller size to make sure they fit and don't get cut off by this forum window.

But I will play around with the render and texture quality and stuff. Thank you.

louis arcilla
Initiate

Post by louis arcilla » April 3rd, 2013, 12:06 pm

Hey guys! I finished the assets that I wanted to make for the game.

The first 2 things I did with the mailbox was just a basic layout of it being broken on the ground all over the place. Moss grew up the sides of the wood and rust formed on the metal piece. I got rid of the blood stain on the metal lid from the last time I worked on it.

The third one is my professor's personal favorite layout. I turned the mailbox into a toilet. I added the piece of wood and a knife for entertainment similar to how people nowadays read the newspaper or play games on the toilet. While on the toilet, people in the wasteland could be practicing their tic-tac-toe skills.

The fourth model is of a weapon's cache. Unfortunately I didn't have time to model guns or other weaponry, so right now its a glorified knife rack.

The fifth one is an improvised hammer weapon. It's seen some battles as portrayed by the dents and the ductape.

All of the assets are less than 300 tris.

If you guys are interested putting this game, all I need to do is create a prefab in Unity before I put it on the asset store. I will definitely be down to improve on the textures if needed. Thanks for the input given thus far.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 4th, 2013, 1:39 am

ValeriyaK wrote:
shivan wrote: ... Also, if you do go for 2048x2048 make sure you specifically set that resolution on each texture in Unity, or else it will under-sample them to 1024x1024 (the default)...
I apologize if I forgot to mention, all of the texture files themselves are 2048x2048...
But I will play around with the render and texture quality and stuff. Thank you.
The textures look fine, they are just blurry on the screenshot from Unity. I guess as well that you imported them to Unity with the wrong resolution.

In total it looks great already. :!:
One thing I would recommend is to add some of the leaking dirt to the floor were it hits the wall, there is quite the contrast right now.

Cheers

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » April 4th, 2013, 10:59 am

ValeriyaK :

It looks real great,

My only two cents would be that you could perhaps replace those beams on the ceiling with a few sticking out steel reinforcements.

If there are beams, than they should be bridging the shorter side instead of the longer.

The concrete ceiling you have is now supported by beams that are supported only on one side, which means it would most likely collapse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61wymhp3gis1b9n/01.JPG

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » April 4th, 2013, 11:48 am

http://i.imgur.com/IEvsWpJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/131BM8V.png

Here are the finished images. Thank you for the wooden beams tip, I realized that I did forget to take physics into account. :D Instead of changing the beam texture to steel, I decided to flip the beams. I didn't put them across the entire roof though, to save on polys. I don't figure this to be something a player could walk into (when the roof goes semi-see-through as in the Wasteland 2 walkthrough.), the door is half-way down and the players can't really jump over the bricks. As per the textures, I checked my project settings, and the texture quality is set to full rez. Maybe my textures themselves aren't as sharp (even though they're at 2048x2048)? But then again, the camera's gonna be pretty far away...

Anyway, the model's tri-count is 3487, JUST under the maximum.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » April 4th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Looks good:) It works better this way,

there has been little misunderstandings however ;)
you wrote: "changing the beam texture to steel"

I meant to replace the beam with steel reinforcements sticking out , removing the beam.
(Reinforced concrete does not need beams on such small scale.)
Like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuzkvy65g40k0vu/02.JPG
Photo:

another sample: http://images.colourbox.com/thumb_COLOURBOX1756043.jpg

Of course not this dense and detailed just a few :) ( i can see the poligon limit well..limiting it :) )

Btw, i am no dev, just commenting on architectural topics.

ValeriyaK
Initiate

Post by ValeriyaK » April 4th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Oohhh. Well thank you for clearing that up! That does sound like a pretty cool concept for the roof. If the roof was meant to be concrete, I would've done that! But originally the roof was meant as tar, with that fluffy roof insulation inside. But maybe in another version of the garage, I can implement steel beams and a concrete roof! Thank you.

But now a different question to the Wasteland 2 artists; Before I get this to the Unity Store; would my model be something you guys would approve for submission?

jc429
Initiate

Post by jc429 » April 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I've finished my train model, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I'd like your feedback though before submitting this to the Unity Store. Maps are 1024x1024 and the model is <5000 tris.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » April 5th, 2013, 12:44 am

jc429:

It all looks really really good IMHO. The model and the texture are great. One small question though: did you also add a normal map? The ladder seems to have some nice bumpiness to it but the main body of the car seems a bit flat... No biggie, maybe you can just accentuate the relief of the beams and such a bit on the normal map?

jakeland
Initiate

Post by jakeland » April 5th, 2013, 11:12 am

After a bunch of thought on the concept of my piece, I decided to reinforce the bottom by making it a pure desk, adding a tv and a busted antenna, and throwing a big ol' switch on there just for good measure. There will be more buttons and nobs, pieces peeling back and exposed wires, but this is what I have so far.

jc429
Initiate

Post by jc429 » April 5th, 2013, 12:11 pm

shivan wrote:jc429:

It all looks really really good IMHO. The model and the texture are great. One small question though: did you also add a normal map? The ladder seems to have some nice bumpiness to it but the main body of the car seems a bit flat... No biggie, maybe you can just accentuate the relief of the beams and such a bit on the normal map?
I do have a normal map, but I'll accentuate the beams more. Thanks for the suggestion.

MSully
Initiate

Post by MSully » April 8th, 2013, 10:54 pm

I finished the bike rack model I've been working on and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. For the next class project I plan to make a few bikes to go along with it in various states (whole but rusted/broken apart/mostly scavenged), so I can take into account all of the advice you gave the other student on the subject. Sorry for the late update by the way!

rrhoud
Initiate

Post by rrhoud » April 9th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Here is my finished blast door and texture map. In the feedback it was said that the door looked a bit to sci-fi without the textures on it but it looks a bit better with the textures applied and in the Unity scene. The final tri count is 1655. The door is not on the Unity store as of this posting.