Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

louis arcilla
Initiate

Re: Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

Post by louis arcilla » March 5th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently attending NJIT as a senior specializing in Digital Production.

For Wasteland 2, I wanted to create a beat up mailbox; a small asset that can be used as filler to add ambiance to the world.

I just started modeling the mailbox, so it's not much right now:

The best part about making a filler asset like a mailbox is that I can easily customize it in a multitude of ways. For example, in the model, I can rearrange the pieces to make it into a weapon cache that people can put their guns in. Or I can turn it into a makeshift hammer, a toilet, or a campfire.

Any other items I can turn this asset into?

dlh2468
Initiate

Boeing 737

Post by dlh2468 » March 5th, 2013, 5:20 pm

It crashed a long time ago, the Boeing 737 a common sight in the sky before the war came, now is a monument to a long forgotten world.
Here lies one of the many that soared the skies. Crashed, scavenged and worn down by years of abuse from the wasteland.
The hull has rusted, the metal skeleton beneath can be seen, the interior has been looted many times, some have lived in it, only to be killed by the next and others have hauled
away as much as they could carry knowing full and well the lure of such a monument to others.

Is it a cargo vessel, a passenger plan or even a lost military aircraft. Only surveying the wreckage will give you the answers.
As an update on my progress I've created the basic geometry for the wing, tail, engine and front wheel.
This is a large asset to the scale of an actual 737 so I'm not sure how detailed this model should be created. If you would like me to model the interior and exterior, all pieces that I show in the concept and finer details like the torn up roof surface.
For now my intention is to model out the exterior, the interior and then progress by taking the original aircraft and tearing, ripping apart and distorting it to give the effect of it's crash. (As a side note if you'd like a complete undestroyed version I could likely make that as well.)
-Daniel Hastings

rrhoud
Initiate

Post by rrhoud » March 6th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Hello, my name is Robert, I am an IT student at NJIT, and this is what I have been working on.

This is the concept artwork for a blast door that I wanted to make. It isn't instantly noticeable, but the door opens by turning the center ring after which the top part of the door lifts up and the bottom half goes under ground.

Here is a picture of it modeled out in Maya, closed

and here it is again opened.

One of the main issues that I ran into though is that my tri count is way too high, around 2500 and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on how to lower that count. I am including a picture of the wire-frame view in Maya from a couple of angles.

Tri count by section:
Top - 1148 tri
Bot - 788 tri
Center Ring - 568 tri

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Robert Houdlette

roccoricciardi
Initiate

Post by roccoricciardi » March 6th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Hey everyone, hope all is well. My name is Rocco Ricciardi; I'm an Information Technology, Game Development major over at NJIT. So, here's my concept art for the blast door we worked on in class.

My inspiration for the blast door was my love for the game MegaManX on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I wanted to create a realistic version of the doors that the player walked through to get to the bosses at the end of each level. I took textures from cgtextures.com and worked with them to create my concept art for the door.

After we finalized our concepts we threw it into Maya and came up with some renders. The following is what I came up with for my door:

The way I plan for the door to open is for the center circle to rotate 360 degrees, "unlocking" the door, and allowing it to open vertically (much like it did in the SNES game).

Let me know what you think of the door and how I can improve my work! Thank you for your time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my earlier post I've done some UV unwrapping and texturing using Maya's prefab substances. The next step I'll be looking into is throwing my UV's into Photoshop and using my original concept art to texture and such.
Here's my progress since my last post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey team! So here's my Final Render of the door with my textures from Photoshop!

Last edited by roccoricciardi on April 2nd, 2013, 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jakeland
Initiate

Post by jakeland » March 7th, 2013, 9:17 am

Hi my name is Jake McCarthy and I am an HCI major In Eric N.'s Class.

The concept I went with is a beat up wall of electronics, Hodge-podged together, I wanted to use old tv's and older first-gen personal computers. I also found a large group of free textures that were pretty cool. Anything you guys could tell me to help me improve would be appreciated, I haven't really ever drawn a concept art before so this was a new experience, so If I am doing something wrong/less good than I could be I would love to know.

pmt9
Initiate

Post by pmt9 » March 7th, 2013, 10:14 am

Hi my name is Phillip and i am a sophmore at NJIT majoring in IT with a focus in Game Design. Here is my concept layout for a blast door.

Here is my door made in Maya

here is my door opened

JamesMorford
Initiate

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Hi DLaw90! Welcome to the forums.
DLaw90 wrote:Here is my concept artwork and Proj 1. It is not very good (and very late) :( but I hope to do better :D

P.S. these face icons are neat

It might be fun to see a more-makeshift vending machine, with ammunition or rockets, and mines that you might see in a weapon store, or other random scavenged things people have found in the wasteland that they are trying to sell. After 100 years of existing a post-apocalyptic society, it's incredibly unlikely that any candy bars or other snacks would be unscavenged.
Your other two concepts look clean and would fit well in the game. Overall it looks like you have a good, clean start. Good luck!
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

JamesMorford
Initiate

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forums, amansour!
amansour wrote:here is my concept artwork for my blast door and my book case. Open to any and all feed back. I will start actively posting through modeling and texturing phases.

It looks like you have a good material breakup going for your blast door. I'd like to see further reinforcement on the frame of the door. Also, the blood looks a little cheesy, I'd just do away with it completely. Consider putting scorch marks or chipped paint in it's place for some nice grungy detail.
Your bookshelf's multitude of different wood textures are a little messy and difficult to read. Again the blood feels very out of place, I'd advise you'd replace it with chipped and rotted wood. Also, I'm not sure what the blue "owl" is in the upper right hand corner, if it's unrelated to the project I'd advise leaving it out of your concept work.

Additionally, your images are getting cut off on the right side, i'm not sure why - maybe because the forum wont auto-resize *.gif files, of it it's too wide for the forums, but it is making it more difficult to review your work.
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

Kalayo
Initiate

Post by Kalayo » March 7th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Hi, my name is Kevin and I am a 4th year Digital Designer at NJIT. My blast door includes rustic, worn, and scratched metal, showing that is has been through heavy use. My next steps are to add additional textures to the panels on the door. The following contains the materials I would like to add, as well as a couple test renders. I've also animated the door opening, and would like to post the animation in the near future.

Last edited by Kalayo on March 7th, 2013, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Links
Initiate

Post by Links » March 7th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hey there, my name is Justin Jayanty, a Digital Design senior at NJIT.

I've been working on my version of the Blast Door concept art. I figured that since the aesthetics are from a couple decades in the past, then the blast door shouldn't be that crazy cosmetic - people back then would just be focused on protecting their property as securely as possible. With that in mind, I focused on the essentials: the door keypad, solid steel material, and a viewport window, all looking a little worn out due to understandable reasons (nuclear war would certainly untidy things.)

I really hope these resize, because they look massive in the preview, so I apologize if appears blown up - I'll resize them if need be.

Here's a link to a test animation I did with the door - http://filesmelt.com/dl/Test_Render_Anim_H264.mp4

JamesMorford
Initiate

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Hi Louis, welcome to the forums.
louis arcilla wrote:Hey guys, I'm currently attending NJIT as a senior specializing in Digital Production.

For Wasteland 2, I wanted to create a beat up mailbox; a small asset that can be used as filler to add ambiance to the world.

I just started modeling the mailbox, so it's not much right now:

You have a solid start on your mailbox model, keep it up.In the future, it's good to post wireframes and triangle counts for your meshes so we can give feedback on your topology and mesh optimization.

The best part about making a filler asset like a mailbox is that I can easily customize it in a multitude of ways. For example, in the model, I can rearrange the pieces to make it into a weapon cache that people can put their guns in. Or I can turn it into a makeshift hammer, a toilet, or a campfire.

Any other items I can turn this asset into?
You have a good list of ideas for what you could do with this prop, I'd start concepting those out and push the design forward.
Good start overall, good luck!
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

JamesMorford
Initiate

Re: Boeing 737

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Welcome to the forums Daniel!
dlh2468 wrote:It crashed a long time ago, the Boeing 737 a common sight in the sky before the war came, now is a monument to a long forgotten world.
Here lies one of the many that soared the skies. Crashed, scavenged and worn down by years of abuse from the wasteland.
The hull has rusted, the metal skeleton beneath can be seen, the interior has been looted many times, some have lived in it, only to be killed by the next and others have hauled
away as much as they could carry knowing full and well the lure of such a monument to others.

Is it a cargo vessel, a passenger plan or even a lost military aircraft. Only surveying the wreckage will give you the answers.

Great backstory, I like it a lot. Establishing a backstory can really help push some character and depth into your props. Good job.

As an update on my progress I've created the basic geometry for the wing, tail, engine and front wheel.
This is a large asset to the scale of an actual 737 so I'm not sure how detailed this model should be created. If you would like me to model the interior and exterior, all pieces that I show in the concept and finer details like the torn up roof surface.
For now my intention is to model out the exterior, the interior and then progress by taking the original aircraft and tearing, ripping apart and distorting it to give the effect of it's crash. (As a side note if you'd like a complete undestroyed version I could likely make that as well.)
You have a good start here for your model. We have several areas in the game where this could fit in well. I'd advise you to instead of creating a un-destroyed version of your plane, would be to create several different destroyed versions of the plane. You can never have too many destroyed planes!

-Daniel Hastings
Nice start! I look forward to seeing more. Good luck!
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

JamesMorford
Initiate

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forums Robert!
rrhoud wrote:Hello, my name is Robert, I am an IT student at NJIT, and this is what I have been working on.

Your concept piece looks very clean and polished, however my main issue with this is that it looks too clean, and it also looks a little too "sci-fi" for wasteland 2. Consider adding some rust and replacing the lightly glowing windows with some cracked wire-reinforced glass like you'd see in prison, or at some schools.

This is the concept artwork for a blast door that I wanted to make. It isn't instantly noticeable, but the door opens by turning the center ring after which the top part of the door lifts up and the bottom half goes under ground.

Here is a picture of it modeled out in Maya, closed

and here it is again opened.

One of the main issues that I ran into though is that my tri count is way too high, around 2500 and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on how to lower that count. I am including a picture of the wire-frame view in Maya from a couple of angles.

I looked at your wireframes and noticed a high vertex density near the middle of your mesh in the rotating handle area. I would suggest drastically reducing the triangle count there and exaggerating that geometry so it reads from our camera angle. Otherwise your topology is clean and I don't see many wasted faced/triangles - so good job.

Tri count by section:
Top - 1148 tri
Bot - 788 tri
Center Ring - 568 tri

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Robert Houdlette
Well documented, It's great to see wireframes and triangle counts - great start! Keep it up!
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

JamesMorford
Initiate

Post by JamesMorford » March 7th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Welcome to the forums, Jake!
jakeland wrote:Hi my name is Jake McCarthy and I am an HCI major In Eric N.'s Class.

The concept I went with is a beat up wall of electronics, Hodge-podged together, I wanted to use old tv's and older first-gen personal computers. I also found a large group of free textures that were pretty cool. Anything you guys could tell me to help me improve would be appreciated, I haven't really ever drawn a concept art before so this was a new experience, so If I am doing something wrong/less good than I could be I would love to know.

You have a good start with your concept, as I've said before on other concepts, blood isn't really a detail we're looking for to be on our props, so I'd advise not putting it on your final texture. Consider adding more small details, bolts and welding marks, scorch marks, etc. Perhaps reinforce the prop where it meets the ground to make it feel more grounded in the game.
Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more.
James Morford
Environment Artist
InXile Entertainment

jah25
Initiate

Post by jah25 » March 7th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Hello,
I'm Joseph Hewitt an IT student at NJIT and here is some concept art and models I created for Wasteland 2.

The Blast Door:
When I was creating this one I wanted something that was very solidly built and gave a military or heavy industry feel. So I went for a look similar to hatches on board ships.

Here's The concept art:

and here is a first pass at the model that's in line with the part's size requirements and is 1568 tris:

The Shanty
This concept I'm a little less sure about. I wanted to give the shanty to appear like it's made from salvaged materials but avoid making it appear like a temporary dwelling, like the builder intended the shanty to be around for a while and made the best of what they had. I only have concept art for this one.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity and any feed back you can give me on my work so far would be great.

MSully
Initiate

Post by MSully » March 7th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Hi, my name's Michael Sullivan, from Eric's class at NJIT. I'm an IT major with a specialization in Game Design, I have a peripheral interest in 3D modeling but it's not something I've ever pursued before. For this project I've been working on a rusted old bike rack, something that looks like it's been thrown together using improvised materials like pipes. I'm not sure what other details I should try to include; Eric suggested adding more rust around the joints because that's where it would rust faster.

The model render below is from last week, I'm still working on the rest of it.

Forecast
Initiate

Post by Forecast » March 7th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Hi, my name is Joseph Stachura and I am a student at NJIT.

The model that I wanted to focus on was the Blast door.
The modeling is not finished as of yet but the feel that I was looking for was a rundown make-shift door that looks like it could have been a piece of older machinery that has been repurposed for use as a door. My inspiration for the overall design and texture color comes from CAT construction vehicles.

MattSacripanti
Initiate

Post by MattSacripanti » March 7th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Hi my name is Matt Sacripanti, I'm an IT major with a specialization in Game Development. I am excited to be posting here on the wasteland 2 forums and looking forward to posting more on here. Here is my concept art for a BlastDoor Image

the5souls
Initiate

Post by the5souls » March 8th, 2013, 8:39 am

Hi, Wasteland crew! Thanks for letting us team up with you guys. It's awesome!

My name is Patrick Francisco, an IT major at NJIT. I also focused on the blast door. Are all of the doors in Wasteland 2 going to be sliding doors? If so, I'll have to readjust my blast door. I designed it with hinges in mind, but if it needs to slide, I'll find a way to make it work.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » March 8th, 2013, 11:53 am

Sorry to interrupt in the middle, real nice works, and a real cheer that this is happening. :)

What i would like to mention, is something that bothers me on some of the blast doors as an architect student, are the glass openings.

I may not be right but i think It falsifies the purpose of a blast door a bit. It may elevate the design but kinda makes you ask why the meter thick concrete when its riddled with structurally week glass openings, sights and lights wont matter when oxigen or radiation leaks in/out through the cracks.

If there is a window on a blast door, and agree with the above here is some tips that i think makes them more sensible:

Simple and regular geometry: circle is best, its most enduring against pressure(blasts).See submarines.
Make it seem real thick/impervious, layered and small..these peepholes are there to examine overall outside conditions, If there is a fire outside or if its day or night, or to give a signal of life to those on the other side.