Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

enerses
Initiate

Re: Undergrad Modelling Feedback Thread

Post by enerses » October 14th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Not sure if any still visits this thread but I would like to announce that an indie game I am involved with went live on kickstarter. Just trying to get the word out and get support from those who would enjoy the game. Thanks again for helping my class in this modeling effort and hopefully helping with this indie game.

kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... raindrop-0

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » October 14th, 2013, 8:16 pm

looks cool I backed with what little I have.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 14th, 2013, 9:47 pm

You got a tweet by Brian, too. That should help!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Blacky
Explorer

Post by Blacky » October 15th, 2013, 8:39 am

enerses wrote:Thanks again for helping my class in this modeling effort and hopefully helping with this indie game.
I would have backed you and spread the word, Raindrop hit a sweet spot for me, and I very much liked what I saw.

Unfortunately, while you say repeatedly in your video that you need people, ideas, feedback, and so on, you sell beta access. You sell exclusive ingame items. You even sell access to the forums for even more money.

So no, I won't back you.
Chez Blacky, jdr et autres
If things make sense in a real-world sense, I don’t think people give too much flak for it not being game-y enough, I think keeping the world sense together is the most important thing we can be doing.—Brian Fargo

enerses
Initiate

Post by enerses » October 16th, 2013, 3:20 pm

sparkee666 wrote:looks cool I backed with what little I have.
Thanks! Appreciate the support for the project!

enerses
Initiate

Post by enerses » October 16th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Drool wrote:You got a tweet by Brian, too. That should help!
Yea that's crazy and I think it's unrelated to my posting here. He seems like a strong supporter of kickstarter campaigns and stumbled upon it. So an amazing coincidence that definitely will help!

enerses
Initiate

Post by enerses » October 16th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Blacky wrote:
enerses wrote:Thanks again for helping my class in this modeling effort and hopefully helping with this indie game.
I would have backed you and spread the word, Raindrop hit a sweet spot for me, and I very much liked what I saw.

Unfortunately, while you say repeatedly in your video that you need people, ideas, feedback, and so on, you sell beta access. You sell exclusive ingame items. You even sell access to the forums for even more money.

So no, I won't back you.
Sorry you feel that way. I'm a supporting artist on their team. I didn't have input into how they put together their kickstarter campaign but I don't think there was anything wrong with their reward tiers. They tried to separate the tiers out and give incentives where they could. I really don't think they are trying to nickel and dime their fan base.

Beta access starts at $25 dollars, which is the third lowest tier. You could argue that it should be at the $15 tier (which starts the digital copy of the game), but I dont think it makes sense to place it in the $7 tier (which is just a wallpaper and credits). So I dont see what's wrong with beta starting at $25, especially when the $15 tier is for less involved backers who probably don't want that much active involvement in the project.

They are not selling ingame items. They are offering more direct involvement in the game development for each tier. They are offering opportunities to their fans who want their own touch to the game. If you dont want that much active involvement in the game then there are hopefully appropriate tier levels for you.

I know personally that they tried their best to figure out how to make the strongest kickstarter campaign that they could with the limited resources they had. This is their first kickstarter so they didnt get everything right but I dont think its fair to expect perfection from them or assume that they are out to price gouge the backers. They are just trying to figure out appropriate tier rewards and they are taking in all the feedback now and will be adjusting the campaign with updates.

I appreciate that you liked what you saw and I gave your feedback to the guy running the campaign. Pretty much he told me what I just wrote above. So thank you for your support and hopefully their future updates will help clear up any misunderstandings that exist about their campaign.

Blacky
Explorer

Post by Blacky » October 17th, 2013, 2:22 pm

enerses wrote:Sorry you feel that way. I'm a supporting artist on their team. I didn't have input into how they put together their kickstarter campaign but I don't think there was anything wrong with their reward tiers. They tried to separate the tiers out and give incentives where they could. I really don't think they are trying to nickel and dime their fan base.
It's more about the principle than the money itself. I personally think that creating artificial limitations on a product to increase its price without increasing its value is bad, and bad business. I think this kind of things is in the ballpark of everything we came to strongly dislike about the mainstream industry (Day 1 paying DLC, DRM, exclusive content and platform deals, delayed releasing based on geographic metrics, and so on).
They are not selling ingame items.
&
Kickstarter wrote:Pledge $30 or more
[…]
+ exclusive in-game item
Yes you do, unfortunately.
They are offering more direct involvement in the game development for each tier. They are offering opportunities to their fans who want their own touch to the game.
Well, they aren't offering anything, it's not a gift they are selling these things :)

Sometimes twice: if one buy the game, the soundtrack is included in the game. It's already paid for. And alas, they sell it apart.

They ask for people help and feedback, but to do that it seems one will need to pay $50 (which is quite expansive, that's the price of an AAA boxed game delivered to your door) to have access to “exclusive Beta access to the forums and suggestion community”.

Let me put it another way. In your words, they are offering you the chance to put your work out there, to participate fully in the game, to do more than suggest but actually *create* things!. And to do that, of course you paid money to them? Isn't it the other way around hmmm? :roll:
I know personally that they tried their best to figure out how to make the strongest kickstarter campaign that they could with the limited resources they had. This is their first kickstarter so they didnt get everything right but I dont think its fair to expect perfection from them or assume that they are out to price gouge the backers. They are just trying to figure out appropriate tier rewards and they are taking in all the feedback now and will be adjusting the campaign with updates.
Of course, and I'm not saying they and/or you are bad people. I won't email you Céline Dion soundtrack to punish you or anything. And I know since the crowdfunding has started, whatever I'll say won't change anything. I'm attracting your attention to another point of view on these things, hopefully to change this in the future.
Chez Blacky, jdr et autres
If things make sense in a real-world sense, I don’t think people give too much flak for it not being game-y enough, I think keeping the world sense together is the most important thing we can be doing.—Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 21st, 2013, 7:00 am

But I'm sure he'll happily pirate your game to teach you a lesson.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » October 21st, 2013, 8:07 am

Blacky, I hate to break it to you - but Kickstarter is not about "selling" anything - it isn't a pre-order system. Its about putting money into something you believe in that couldn't be made without community support. Its not a market place, and if you look at it as such then you're missing the point, IMHO.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » November 8th, 2013, 7:18 am

I finished these assets some time back, I know I mucked up my UV islands (not the unwrapping though). But one of the biggest issues to me was that I just can't seem to do decent specular maps for clothing (or uh, diffuse maps to begin with...);

Sorry if this is purely just modelling feedback, also for the graffiti profanities on the other model versions...
enerses wrote:Not sure if any still visits this thread but I would like to announce that an indie game I am involved with went live on kickstarter. Just trying to get the word out and get support from those who would enjoy the game. Thanks again for helping my class in this modeling effort and hopefully helping with this indie game.

kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... raindrop-0
Hey yeah I pledged to that, good luck with development!