Rusty, Old, Metal Drums

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

shivan
Acolyte

Rusty, Old, Metal Drums

Post by shivan » February 2nd, 2013, 6:25 am

Hi,

From the assets already selected, I've seen that some of them have strayed somewhat from the original concept. For example there's an awesome Shanty Shack on stilts which goes quite a ways off from the original concept. In that idea, and also reading the posts encouraging the people who make assets to not respect to the latter the concepts, I've thought "Hey, metal drums"! Fallout had a bunch of those here and there, an really they're a great prop to have in a post apocalyptic environment.

So I've made a few metal drums, with various decals (flammable, bio-hazard, radioactive, etc), some full, some empty, there's even one with bullet holes in it, that also has a fire made up inside (it's 2 lightweight particle systems, one for flame, on for smoke, and a convenient script that has a check-box for turning fire on and off). The lids are detachable, and they're very low poly: each barrel has 236 triangles for the main body + 44 triangles for the lid.
They each have a 1024x1024 diffuse and normal maps, and the diffuse map has a light map as well (created on its alpha channel).

Here's a Unity close-up screen shot:

and here's one from the top-down camera:

It would be great to hear comments on weather this is of decent-enough quality for the game, and on weather it's acceptable as an asset (even though no specific demand for this kind of porp has been made). Thanks!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Rusty, Old, Metal Drums

Post by Drool » February 2nd, 2013, 9:14 pm

The top-down looks good. I like the different... sludges inside each. But on the close-up, the skin on the drums looks weird. It might be the lighting, but some of them (especially the inflammable on the left) look like they're made from bamboo.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Kryptex
Novice

Post by Kryptex » February 2nd, 2013, 10:09 pm

I agree with above. Something as simple as an overlay of color could help fix that bamboo-ish feel. :) Otherwise, thoughtful idea! Always gotta have doodads for the environment!

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » February 3rd, 2013, 6:24 am

Thanks for your opinions! You're right about the wooden aspect, though I didn't realize that until you guys pointed it out.

Well, here's try #2. Hope it's somewhat of an improvement.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » February 3rd, 2013, 8:04 am

Looks real good from Top-down.
Close up is way too shiny, but i like how shiny it is on the top-down.Brings them out of the environment.

Maybe if you add a bit more texture to the specular map it would improve close up.. i am not sure if player would ever see it from a close up however so that may not be too important.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » February 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

Hey, thanks for the comment. Yes, it's something that I've thought about too right after finishing the above version, namely to make a fancier light map. I'm thinking something noisy with maybe just a hint of brushed metal.

About the extreme shininess how ever I don't know what to do. I mean, I agree with you, in the 3-rd person screen-shot they do look too shiny, but they do look right in the top-down view. It's due to the fact that the lights are very strong and they come at a steep angle... Well at any rate, the key here is in the light map (and the addition of the over-all tint color). I'm gonna try various versions of these.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 3rd, 2013, 9:16 pm

I think what's happening in the dark vertical lines (rust/sludge marks) look a little too uniform and regular, which is what gave it that wooden look. Turning the barrels silver helped. However, on a couple of the top-down ones, they now look like they're made from cinder blocks :P

As painful as it is for me to say, maybe try a more brownish color. Most drums I see at work are either blue plastic, or a brown or black metal.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » February 4th, 2013, 11:30 am

Hey thanks for (re)commenting. Don't worry, I'm happy for the critique, it's the only way to get better, right :). I will try and re-do the whole texturing, will re-post when it actually gets decent. For now I'm not gonna continue this thread, as I feel like I'm sort of trolling - this is the section for finishing production-quality stuff. Thanks again!

Crocapaw
Initiate

Post by Crocapaw » February 5th, 2013, 8:12 am

I think the lights are supposed to be very bright for the Wasteland example scene because the camera is so high, I have a couple suggestions if you want to lower the glare on the barrels. You can lower the shininess by lowering the color of the Specular color in the materiel inside Unity. Your other option is to make you alpha channel in the Diffuse texture darker. If you show your texture and material settings, I can help more with that.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » February 12th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Hey, thanks for the offer for help. I haven't been working on this for the last week because I've been busy as hell with work. At any rate, I really appreciate the help, but for now I'm not gonna continue with this (props and forum thread). I want to get better at texture making, and then try doing some other props (was thinking something like abandoned construction-site-vehicles, crane, excavator, fork-lift, something like that).

thanks again

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » February 12th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Send me a link if you post game appropriate items like this on the asset store. We often look for new props as they get added, but I can't guarantee we'll see it. If we have a place to put it, and it kicks ass, I will buy it.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » February 13th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Hey thanks for the proposition that's a great idea. I think I'll put the revamped and improved version of the metal barrels on the store and send you the link some times next week. Will do so for other stuff I manage to make and which fits the Wasteland world.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » February 13th, 2013, 4:38 pm

my opinion, from far away top-down they look good and do their job.

in the closeup shot they are way to shiny in my opinion. on the one hand, they clearly show signs of time, but overall they look like someone just polished them :D i would reduce reflection. i also think the signs on the barrels look a bit weird, like they are a bit transparent. mabe some paint fell of, but the signs should have no transparency and they also look a bit blurred.

in general i like them, but textures could be improved! :D

4Aces
Acolyte

Post by 4Aces » February 19th, 2013, 3:43 pm

If you need some help with the textures just PM me.

Cheers,
4Aces
Outlaws, Blood Cultists, Killer Robots, Bomb Worshippers, and now Cyborg Robotnappers! What next?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 6th, 2013, 11:30 am

Well, most of the threads in here have gone quiet, so I might as well make a small update, here's a new try on texturing them barrels:

Comments, suggestions, propositions are more than welcome.

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 6th, 2013, 1:43 pm

It looks quite good. However, the biohazard signs looks like they have been painted on after the barrels rusted, almost. Well, I see some rust on top of them, but not enough.
I would remove lots of paint from the signs and also place rust on them.

Cheers! (this forum was way to quiet)

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 6th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Yep, now that you're mentioning it, that is sort of an issue. However these barrels and the textures on them were never ment to be seen so up close. From Wasteland2's POV I think it's ok. I'm gonna tweak them some more and publish some screen shots using the Wasteland2 camera.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 6th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Aside from the biohazard symbols (which look more embossed to me), these look a lot better. They look like metal instead of bamboo!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 7th, 2013, 3:35 am

Thanks, but the actual textures are done by 4aces, that's mainly way there's such huge leap in quality from the previus screen shots :D

Also, and I might be totally wrong here, I honestly don't like the various Specular materials that come by default with Unity. All that deal with the alpha channel and one "shininess" dial really gave me a head ache. I've just made my own shader that accepts a separate map for Specularity, and then the shine size and intensity are controlled separatelly via two of those doo-heckyes.

Also the biohazard embossed (and not painted on) was intentional. Dunno why, just wanted it like that :P

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 7th, 2013, 3:41 am

shivan wrote:Also, and I might be totally wrong here, I honestly don't like the various Specular materials that come by default with Unity.
Heh, I'm a writer not a modeler, so I'll take your word for it :P
Also the biohazard embossed (and not painted on) was intentional. Dunno why, just wanted it like that :P
It's not usually done that way, but hell. Go for it!
Alwa nasci korliri das.