Batch 3 - Gauss Needle Projector

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Seba
Initiate

Batch 3 - Gauss Needle Projector

Post by Seba » January 16th, 2013, 4:52 am

A new batch - yeees :)

Concept for Gauss Needle Projector.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Gauss_Needle_Projector
Looking for some advice about stats of this robot. Seems quire expierienced and well protected:

Type: Robot
EXP: 3900
MAXCON: 97-487
AC: 9
Skill: 30
Damage: 13d6
Weapon: Automatic
Range: Med
Group Size: 1-3

Maybe should be more lightweight.
And i probably have to rethink arm movement.

shivan
Acolyte

Re: Batch 3 - Gauss Needle Projector

Post by shivan » January 16th, 2013, 7:39 am

Wow, that's a nice concept!

You're right about the sturdiness/fearsomeness of this robot, as far as I can see he's in the higher range when it comes to health, damage, and experince given.

That's why I'm imagining that this could be shown by making him look really sturdy/mean, maybe a bulkier torso and/or arms... Also for the lower part of the body I'm imagining something more like Robocop legs. From what I can see the general design of the robots follow the "80s and early 90s" portrayal of robots in SF movies (Terminator, Robocop, general scary looking humanoid or walker-like things), and Robocop sure did give the impression of sturdy bulkiness. Also the way you've imagined the neck and head makes me think of that kind of a robot as well...

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » January 16th, 2013, 12:12 pm

If you want to let him appear bigger/meaner you should shrink his head a bit. That always does wonders. ;)
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 16th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Seba wrote:Location: Base Cochise
That's the final area of the game, so it's a pretty tough foe.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Seba
Initiate

Post by Seba » January 17th, 2013, 3:41 pm

So it's a heavy robot, with small head, more bulky, more massive - tough, mean guy. I think i got it. I'll check retro robots, but whats important, this robot should fit to general concept of Wastelands 2 so i don't know if retro manner can be here in the right place.

Thank you :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 17th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Cochise has several levels, so I fired up my copy to see exactly where it was, because I think it's a fixed foe (as opposed to a random, wandering foe). Since Wasteland recycled art assets, I figured that'd give you a better idea of what this thing was.
The Game wrote:A weapon pod rises up from the base dome, and its weapons snap out and center on you.

1 Gauss Needle Projector
1 Sonar-targetted Proton Carbine
appear at 30 feet
So, it's a robot that's part of a weapons dome, point-defense system on the roof of the base (who knows what good sonar would do up there). From the name, it sounds like it's a flechette weapon powered by magnets. So I would say a large weapon with a sturdy frame to support it. Honestly, it seems like the art it should have used was the art for the Spawnmaster (the big tank-looking thing), but whatever.

Looking at the source image, it looks like the left arm is the same as the right, just pointing down, so it'd be a double-barreled affair. Your concept art would work fine; it just looks like the legs will be less important. And just to give you more details than you probably care about, to put those numbers in perspective:

The laser rifle (2nd most powerful gun in the game, and most powerful that isn't severely limited in quantity) does 12d6 damage. That means the robot's AC reduces that to roughly 3d6, so it's quite armored. The MAXCON of 97-487 isn't just a ridiculous range, but that means it can take a good amount of punishment (that's its HP). You can also see that its damage code is pretty high, too, so it'll slaughter an underarmored character and still give a properly armored character issues if they aren't quick about killing it.

Which is about what you'd expect for an end-game foe.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Seba
Initiate

Post by Seba » January 21st, 2013, 2:18 am

Check this:
Still without a gun - i don't know yet how to make this gun looks best.
Smaller head, more wires. Started modelling in 3D, we'll see :)

Anyone knows what's the poly limit for character like this??

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » January 21st, 2013, 2:26 am

Anyone knows what's the poly limit for character like this??
Aprox. tri count is 3500 tris. This is looking really kick ass man! Well done :).

Seba
Initiate

Post by Seba » January 21st, 2013, 2:58 am

Thanks - for info about tris and good word about concept :)

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 21st, 2013, 7:42 am

This looks really really good. It looks lean and mean, and fit to be one of the higher level enemies.

I see some of the people here are criticizing the head. I honestly think it's fine. It looks mean and tough,it's fine.

My only nit-pick would be regarding hands and weapons, more precisely the fact that (AFAIKS) they are one and the same: the original concept show the thing with no human hands (no palm and fingers) but just as having its arms terminating into cannon from which it can shoot some energy projectile... I think it would be more true to the original concept if you update the hands so as to make them into cannons. I'm also thinking that, since the thing's name is "Gauss needle projector" it's main purpose is to shoot energy rather than have human hands (as opposed to the "Android" drone for example, which actually has claw-like hands and a smallish cannon on its shoulder).

At any rate, all in all the concept looks great over all, and I'd really like to take a shot at modelling it, but I know I will not have the time to do such a complex thing *sigh*

Seba
Initiate

Post by Seba » January 21st, 2013, 12:11 pm

Thank you.

You are right, maybe this is a good idea to mount a weapon module instead of human hands. Have to check this. Right - cannon, left - human hand.

He has to have a weapon, i just don't know what it should look :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 21st, 2013, 2:06 pm

I like him, altho I agree at least one of his arms should be the weapon.

A Gauss weapon(Coilgun) by the way is generally accepted as something would fire a slug of (usually) inert material at high velocity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun
So rather than a traditional bullet which contains the accelerant. The Weapon itself is the accellerant. Thus the ammunition is theoretically cheaper and easier to make, providing it is magnetic.

Being that this is a Gauss Needle Projector, my assumption is it uses needles of some form of magnetic material that the induction field fires out at a velocity that would enable them to penetrate flesh and armour.

There are significant limitations in real life to this being a real weapon. However with the obvious "power advances" of the wasteland world, something like this may be much more feasible. I could especially see it as a "scavenger weapon" for a robot that is meant to be somewhat self sufficient.

Indeed I would love to see your model, with rags of clothes and similar that allow it to "pass" as a human from a distance. Kind of like the concept art of the droid. Also some of those tubes could show repair work and similar.

I reckon you should build an "As new" bot and then scuff it up and make a "surviving in the wasteland" bot, that has taken some damage and repaired itself(or been repaired by someone) as best as possible etc. Maybe even added a few plates of armour to protect itself a bit better. Heh actually a dirty great chunk of metal as a shield on the non weapon arm could look kinda cool, he would almost be "future knight" ish.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 21st, 2013, 9:30 pm

Seba wrote:He has to have a weapon, i just don't know what it should look :)
Good old fashioned arm cannon makes the most sense to me. Essentially, from the elbow to the "wrist" (ie: the entire forearm) is a cannon. Where the wrist would be is where your barrel is. Kinda like in the original.

Also, your art here is fantastic. It looks like a real death machine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Seba
Initiate

Post by Seba » January 23rd, 2013, 5:49 am

Thanks.

i made something like this:

Not so detailed, i just didn't have time.
This arm could be a mounted module.If you need a robot with gauss gun you install it and that's all, if you need diferent weapon (more range, less lethal) you switch arms and have a different unit.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Xray_Laser_Projector
http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Chopter
http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Silicon_Sniper
http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wire-gu ... el_Missile
http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Strangler
http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Steel_Reaver

They all have this same picture as gauss needle projector Image and maybe it is a base unit with different equipment.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » January 23rd, 2013, 7:29 am

I think it looks more like the "cyborg" or "hexborg" model then the "gauss needle projector". Looks cool though. I liked the direction of the art in the OP better. It looked more true to the thumbnail image. Must be the legs. Just my opinion.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 23rd, 2013, 8:27 am

I see what you mean Seba and you're right, those guys looked the same in the original simply due to technical limitations of the time, there's no reason why they'd have to look the same now. It will actually be cool to have the same looking robot but with different weapons mounted on its arm, it gives more the idea of "made by the army" where only minimal changes are made when necessary, and then everyone looks more or less the same.

Also (and I don't remember who had this idea, but it's a great one), having versions of it in which one arm is a weapon and the other some kind of shield would also be really cool.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 23rd, 2013, 8:24 pm

That's a bigger gun than I expected, but it certainly works. I agree with Lucius that it looks more like the cyborg/hexborg model. It's not just the legs, though, I think it's the head and how the arms are more akimbo. The original was a sleeker design. Maybe toning down the "muscle" (like at the neck) would help.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 24th, 2013, 2:14 am

The tubing bothers me.

A combat robot shouldn't have tubing like that out in the open. It would be difficult to keep from being damaged.

The Gun looks great however.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Rentless
Initiate

Post by Rentless » January 24th, 2013, 4:57 am

The original face kinda looks to me like a welder's mask. It's kinda blank and featureless. The new design is more Halo/Darth Vader, not really giving me the same vibe. Actually, the whole design is a bit overcrowded, less industrial heavy machine and more organic alien cyborg.

Jhonrock
Initiate

Post by Jhonrock » January 29th, 2013, 5:54 am

Just my 2c ok, but it's neck looks like something organic with so many cables attached, maybe you should use less cables like you used in the arms joints and in the torso.