Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Re: Rock Sizes?

Post by Da_BoS » December 14th, 2012, 2:36 am

[/quote]Thanks Gizmo, you are correct! +1
We can, and will constantly, scale non-scale specific props like rocks and plants in a scene. This is the reason for the seemingly higher tri-count per rock, so as to avoid a highly polygonal silhouette when used in a big way. We can always knock it down in count if we find that is is less useful as a big mesh.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the reply :) good to know especially for a beginner like me :) Knocking the count down was a question in my Rock WIP thread, clears that up for me although I've no idea how to do it lol.

Zelfit
Initiate

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by Zelfit » December 14th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Hi. I've submitted my model on 12 of december, and just noticed some problem with one of my textures(specular gamma is slightly darker). Unity package manager warns me - if I resubmit my package then it will be deleted from pending and added again. So the question - is deadline passed on 13 of december, should i leave my model as is, or re-submit it now?

Tomas_D
Initiate

Post by Tomas_D » December 14th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Late to this just found out Tuesday. Is there going to be a new Batch or is the dead line of Batch 1 extended?

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » December 15th, 2012, 4:16 am

DarkTwinkie wrote:Right now, we don't have a hard deadline for submissions but I do agree that it would be good to formalize it a bit more. Our initial thinking was that we have no idea if this will generate 10 or 100 submissions. For now, I'll update the page with a date that is 1 week from now (the 13th) and we will promise not to make any decisions on the first batch prior to that date.

Going forward, if this is a hit, we will start to nail down details to make it easiest on our fans that are interested in getting their work in the game. Brother None suggested a forum dedicated to this subject.
This thread

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... =22&t=2903

Other than that, Brother None or one of the InXile officials have to get back to you on that.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

d-Koy
Acolyte

Re: question

Post by d-Koy » December 16th, 2012, 12:04 am

Xarek wrote:
d-Koy wrote:
Verafx81 wrote:Maps should at least include a diffuse and normal. Any additional maps are welcome and appreciated. If for performance reasons we need to strip down the material, we can do that toward the end of our Beta. It's really more about what you want to take the time to produce and include as part of your package. More maps tend to make a prop more attractive (if they are well done and not just the result of a cheap quick and easy filter), and thus will help you sell more copies of the prop down the road :)
I didn't include a normal with my submitted prop :( I don't want to include one just for the sake of it as I don't have time at the moment to make a decent one.
No worries, really, if we feel like it needs one, we have some procedural options. Honestly, sometimes no normal map is perfectly fine, if not preferable depending on the context.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » December 16th, 2012, 1:20 am

Zelfit wrote:Hi. I've submitted my model on 12 of december, and just noticed some problem with one of my textures(specular gamma is slightly darker). Unity package manager warns me - if I resubmit my package then it will be deleted from pending and added again. So the question - is deadline passed on 13 of december, should i leave my model as is, or re-submit it now?
If that's all you need to change, I wouldn't be THAT worried about it, but feel free to resubmit if you really want to. I will keep an eye out for it.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » December 16th, 2012, 1:23 am

Tomas_D wrote:Late to this just found out Tuesday. Is there going to be a new Batch or is the dead line of Batch 1 extended?
Yes, and sort-of yes. There is a new batch coming this week, but there will also be some props from the last batch that we wouldn't mind getting a few more iterations of that are sticking around for a bit.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

invaderZim
Initiate

Post by invaderZim » December 16th, 2012, 6:42 am

Small question about submitting future work, my current model ive submitted has a bunch of textures which are reusable over almost all of the suggested designs without any modification.

Being new to Unity what is the accepted process of submitting future work using old textures? Do I add the new models to the previous project and link in the textures or do I simply submit new projects with the old textures over and over and (if im even chosen) you guys will sort out the textures on your side?

Looking forward to the next batches. Also a cheeky sneak peak; the train carts, I imagine these are the less frequently made ones because of their size, complexity and the initial 1 week time limit. Will these appear in batch 2 again as now that the textures are done, the models can be "pumped out" fairly quickly!

invaderZim

Ubermensch72
Initiate

Next batch of models?

Post by Ubermensch72 » December 17th, 2012, 10:33 am

Hey guys,
I'm asking because I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right spot but are the next batch of models up yet. The first one made it sounds like this was going to be a weekly thing and it being monday I was hoping I would have some new models to work on. Just curious
cheers
_ryan

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » December 17th, 2012, 11:38 am

invaderZim wrote:Small question about submitting future work, my current model ive submitted has a bunch of textures which are reusable over almost all of the suggested designs without any modification.

Being new to Unity what is the accepted process of submitting future work using old textures? Do I add the new models to the previous project and link in the textures or do I simply submit new projects with the old textures over and over and (if im even chosen) you guys will sort out the textures on your side?

Looking forward to the next batches. Also a cheeky sneak peak; the train carts, I imagine these are the less frequently made ones because of their size, complexity and the initial 1 week time limit. Will these appear in batch 2 again as now that the textures are done, the models can be "pumped out" fairly quickly!

invaderZim
Yes.

Feel free to reuse your textures and materials, that's something to be encouraged for many many reasons. Please ensure that they have the same names and set-ups as your previous submissions so as to not completely break everything ;)

But the last thing I want to see is someone cranking out the same looking prop over and over again (a comment for the community as a whole, not to you specifically). So please do this if it's actually appropriate, and not just out of laziness or being short timed.

d.Koy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

BenGT
Initiate

Re: Next batch of models?

Post by BenGT » December 18th, 2012, 6:45 am

I think they are. The deadline used to be Dec 13th, it's now Jan 2nd.

Some of the first batch concepts are still on there though. Guess they still need making. Might be what confused you?

Trappey
Initiate

Post by Trappey » December 18th, 2012, 8:03 am

Good spot Ben, thx

Here's the link to save anyone having to search it up ;)

Ubermensch72
Initiate

Post by Ubermensch72 » December 18th, 2012, 10:07 am

Ah, excellent, thank you for sending me the info. :D

skywalger
Novice

Crowdsourcing - Blast Doors Question!

Post by skywalger » December 18th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Hello,

1) I am worikng on Blast Doors and i have a question about the spatial envelope which is 2,5m x 2,5m x 0,125m. My issue is that the main body of the door is exactly 0.125m thick, but the locking system adds 8 cm on each side...so in the end the whole spatial envelope is 0.285m thick. Is it a problem or not?

- here is the pic in HD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d12k7rfwa6zm4w/question.jpg

2) I would like to know, if we are free to try to create more variations of "blast doors", or are we strictly bounded only to these (two) artworks? The same with other artworks.?

3) I am also curious if we have to model and texture this red marked area (first concept). It depends if those doors are gona be openable and how? This is my understanding

Thank you :-)

Jan Javůrek
Last edited by skywalger on December 19th, 2012, 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

thepapercut
Initiate

Re: Vaults/Mini safes?

Post by thepapercut » December 18th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Looking at your week two concepts, I see in the "lab equipment" section you list lockers as an potential item to model. I was wondering if Vaults/ Mini safes would also constitute as a potential modeling item? It could be a hybrid item that fills the "lab equipment" and "old electronics" sections.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Crowdsourcing - Blast Doors Question!

Post by Drool » December 18th, 2012, 9:01 pm

skywalger wrote:I am worikng on Blast Doors and i have a question about the spatial envelope which is 2,5m x 2,5m x 0,125m.
Bah. Come on, inXile, we want meter-thick blast doors! :lol:
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Rat_Herder
Initiate

Post by Rat_Herder » December 20th, 2012, 10:36 am

skywalger wrote:Hello,

1) I am worikng on Blast Doors and i have a question about the spatial envelope which is 2,5m x 2,5m x 0,125m. My issue is that the main body of the door is exactly 0.125m thick, but the locking system adds 8 cm on each side...so in the end the whole spatial envelope is 0.285m thick. Is it a problem or not?

2) I would like to know, if we are free to try to create more variations of "blast doors", or are we strictly bounded only to these (two) artworks? The same with other artworks.?

3) I am also curious if we have to model and texture this red marked area (first concept). It depends if those doors are gona be openable and how? This is my understanding

Thank you :-)

Jan Javůrek
Hey Sky, It's looking great.

1)Adding elements that push beyond the envelope are fine. Mostly we are concerned with the bulk of the door being too large for animation purposes.

2)Please feel free to be creative with any of the props. We are no way trying to constrict you to a specific design. The thumbnails are mostly just to give a starting point, or a basic idea of the prop we are looking for.

3) When I sketched out the door, that is exactly how I imagined it opening. If you feel it should open a different way however, do what you feel is best.

One thing we really want to emphasize is for you guys to have fun with it. We have a lot of different environments to prop out in this game, so we always welcome variation and creativity!
Phillip Dickenson
Artist

Rat_Herder
Initiate

Re: Vaults/Mini safes?

Post by Rat_Herder » December 20th, 2012, 10:38 am

thepapercut wrote:Looking at your week two concepts, I see in the "lab equipment" section you list lockers as an potential item to model. I was wondering if Vaults/ Mini safes would also constitute as a potential modeling item? It could be a hybrid item that fills the "lab equipment" and "old electronics" sections.

Absolutely, to all of that! The more variation the better. We want these environments to feel cluttered in places, and getting your take on "lab stuff" would be great.
Phillip Dickenson
Artist

Rat_Herder
Initiate

Post by Rat_Herder » December 20th, 2012, 10:50 am

Drool wrote:
skywalger wrote:I am worikng on Blast Doors and i have a question about the spatial envelope which is 2,5m x 2,5m x 0,125m.
Bah. Come on, inXile, we want meter-thick blast doors! :lol:
OH, you will get thicker blast doors....just you wait.
Phillip Dickenson
Artist

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 20th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Please feel free to be creative with any of the props. We are no way trying to constrict you to a specific design. The thumbnails are mostly just to give a starting point, or a basic idea of the prop we are looking for.
Maybe you should emphasize on this here: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity

Not all, but most creations look very much like the sketch(most turrets for example).
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)