Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

hazy_v
Initiate

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by hazy_v » April 17th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Pretty sure I'm the only weirdo using Revit to model for this thing, was wondering if I could get some advice on bring in 1:1 scale objects into unity. What scale factor should I use if my model is based on real meters? Minimum wall right now is like 2.5 cm, so it should scale ok without redesign.

I imported the fbx cube from the unity file into Revit through AutoCAD, and it was an even 1m cube. Then I started modeling a bus tower. When I imported into unity, the default scale of .01 made the tower tiny (a bus tower for ants, if you will). When I changed the scale to 1, it was way too big. Guess I'm looking for the ratio between real meters and game meters?

I've attached a pic with dimensions, the grids are spaced 1m apart. Having trouble uploading to the Asset Store too, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it :D

http://www.hazyvagrant.com/pics/randomp ... eCheck.png
"The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad, thinkin' bout the woman he was once with."

http://www.hazyvagrant.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/vagrantindustries
Crowdsourced Commissions: http://www.reddit.com/r/3Drequests/

Xarek
Initiate

Post by Xarek » April 18th, 2013, 7:54 am

I submitted my Satellite Dish model 2 months ago, but it's still pending review. I've contacted Unity twice, and both times they've simply said 'be patient'.

A pretty sad state of affairs really. Oh well, I'll have a go at something in the new batch - if I'm lucky Unity will accept it before the game is released ;)

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 18th, 2013, 8:56 am

Xarek wrote:I submitted my Satellite Dish model 2 months ago, but it's still pending review. I've contacted Unity twice, and both times they've simply said 'be patient'.
This is the resubmission for purchase, right, as I see it listed as approved? I'll contact Unity about it to see if I can get them to move on it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Xarek
Initiate

Post by Xarek » April 18th, 2013, 9:18 am

Brother None wrote:
Xarek wrote:I submitted my Satellite Dish model 2 months ago, but it's still pending review. I've contacted Unity twice, and both times they've simply said 'be patient'.
This is the resubmission for purchase, right, as I see it listed as approved? I'll contact Unity about it to see if I can get them to move on it.
Yep that's right. Thanks Brother.

Boredom
Novice

Post by Boredom » April 19th, 2013, 1:30 am

Edit: nvm, resolved by email :]

I was contacted by inXile a few days ago regarding a model that was accepted (Slicer Dicer). It was stuck on "Pending Review" for months so I was told by Thomas@inXile to contact Unity about it, and I did.

The Unity people can't find it, so I was asked to resubmit it, and I just did that. I'd just like to ask if there's anything I can do to make sure it doesn't get stuck in "Pending Review" limbo again.
Last edited by Boredom on April 19th, 2013, 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ImPeRaToR
Initiate

Batch 4 lookout tower - question

Post by ImPeRaToR » April 19th, 2013, 11:03 am

Hi, I want to make one of these and I already have a good idea for it, I just have a quick question though:

I was thinking of putting the stairs/ladder access to the top of the tower inside the structure (as well as some additional stuff like food etc, implied or actually visible. Now the question is will this actually be visible while a ranger is moving up or do I only have to detail the bottom entrance and the top exit of the tower?

edit: I see you merged my thread into this, sorry for doing it wrong :)

Another question after browsing through this thread (Weapons you would like to see in Wasteland 2): Can we have some specs for the weapons, maybe we could start making some already :D

loon
Initiate

Post by loon » April 22nd, 2013, 2:11 pm

Hello I am one of the "submitted an asset over a month ago and still waiting" people. It was a Steel Reaver model.

I contacted Unity, the window in business days the automatic replied sets for them passed, I contacted them again and "
I see your package in our incoming queue. We have quite a backlog at the minute, meaning it may take a little longer for your package to be reviewed."

That was 10 days ago. Is this what it's going to be like if I have to resubmit? How long's an entire tileset going to take(currently working on)?

I'd appreciate any help on your end, thank you. My publisher name is Loon of Nature...yes the one that looks like it has a duck vomiting stars as the logo it was a minimalist rush job.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 22nd, 2013, 4:16 pm

I don't think we can help much with that, specifically. As long as they haven't lost it, you'll just have to wait until they forward it to us. If they have a backlog, they have a backlog, that's on their end and not ours, so we can't do much of anything about it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 22nd, 2013, 5:23 pm

Takkik wrote:Thank you for all the anwser d-Koy. One more question :
We must use the standart door size (provided in the template, I imagine a single door is half size?) or can we use custom ones (what are the minimum size for char to get through?).
In general, what are the minimum size for walkable aera?
Hello, good question, sorry I am getting to it days late :(

So the door opening that I included is for a 'double swinging door set' or a 'sliding blast door', and that is basically our smallest door opening (this is in fact the opening our "blast door concept" was designed for that quite a few of you made). It is that wide, not so much so that our characters can get through it, but mostly so that other systems can navigate through as well... think things like procedurally generated combat hex grid systems.

We have some bigger door openings as well, but I included this one for the "minimum width". Feel free to go larger, but note that we do not have existing doors that fit anything other than this one currently . So if you go bigger, thats ok, we can throw another door concept out there or you can include a door you make yourself as part of the set.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 22nd, 2013, 5:39 pm

hazy_v wrote:Pretty sure I'm the only weirdo using Revit to model for this thing, was wondering if I could get some advice on bring in 1:1 scale objects into unity. What scale factor should I use if my model is based on real meters? Minimum wall right now is like 2.5 cm, so it should scale ok without redesign.

I imported the fbx cube from the unity file into Revit through AutoCAD, and it was an even 1m cube. Then I started modeling a bus tower. When I imported into unity, the default scale of .01 made the tower tiny (a bus tower for ants, if you will). When I changed the scale to 1, it was way too big. Guess I'm looking for the ratio between real meters and game meters?

I've attached a pic with dimensions, the grids are spaced 1m apart. Having trouble uploading to the Asset Store too, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it :D

http://www.hazyvagrant.com/pics/randomp ... eCheck.png
So I will avoid making any specific comments about Revit since I am not familiar with its exporting process, though I am excited to see a wider diversity of wares out there being used :)
What I can say is this... Unity does have some weird scaling issues it seems, and it tries to resolve the inconsistencies between modelling softwares by doing a weird auto scale of elements. To put it bluntly, 1 meter in Unity, which you can see by adding a cube like you did, does equal 1 meter in our universe. We did have to go back and forth a few times to get our 3DSMax file format scale to be correct in these terms. Additionally, if I scale an object in 3DSMax, say 150%, when I import it into Unity and place it in a scene, it will be placed at 1.5 scale automatically (which is strange and an interesting concept but has only caused us strife). We now go through a process of "Reset XForm" for all our meshes prior to export to ensure that we have real 1-1 scale.
I hope this is at least a little helpful, good luck, and if you resolve, please reply so others can learn through your trials.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Re: Batch 4 lookout tower - question

Post by d-Koy » April 22nd, 2013, 5:52 pm

ImPeRaToR wrote:Hi, I want to make one of these and I already have a good idea for it, I just have a quick question though:

I was thinking of putting the stairs/ladder access to the top of the tower inside the structure (as well as some additional stuff like food etc, implied or actually visible. Now the question is will this actually be visible while a ranger is moving up or do I only have to detail the bottom entrance and the top exit of the tower?

edit: I see you merged my thread into this, sorry for doing it wrong :)

Another question after browsing through this thread (Weapons you would like to see in Wasteland 2): Can we have some specs for the weapons, maybe we could start making some already :D
So climbing ladders is a mechanic we have in our game, but because of pathing issues and AI and general visibility, we are not doing any of it inside any kinds of tight spaces. I would suggest attaching any ladders to exteriors of meshes so that we will have some hope for getting it functioning in game (though this is certainly no requirement for accepting the asset, we were counting on having to mod these to fit our systems in cases where we wanted them to be navigable).
As for "pick-ups" on a tower, this is up to designers to figure out what and where these occur. If you want to include these types of details, thats pretty awesome, but you should build them knowing we might need to move/remove/replace them, so its best if they can be separate meshes.

And for guns, I believe because of the complications of how they are implimented in our game, we are going to be making them inhouse. That may change as we refine the systems involved, but currently it would be very difficult to crowdsource these. I will defer to our resident weapons expert Gavin on this, and he can comment further.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Prowokator
Initiate

Post by Prowokator » April 23rd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Hi! I started working on the water truck (batch 4). I got some questions about it though:

Here's the WIP thread: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... =29&t=3957

And here's what's on my mind:

I would like to know if it is needed to model inside of the cabin or should I just cover all the windows with plating as in the concept art? At the moment it is possible to open the doors, though the cabin is empty. Removing this capability would reduce the polycount quite a lot as the doors could be just in the textures. (I have 2 variants now, one with working doors and one without them). Is it ok to go over 6k tris if I stay under 10k?

Also, how much of the underside should be modeled? Are vehicles just immobile meshes or can they move/explode/flip etc?
If the vehicle should be able to move around, should I build the rig for it?

Cheers.

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 29th, 2013, 10:54 am

Prowokator wrote:Hi! I started working on the water truck (batch 4). I got some questions about it though:

Here's the WIP thread: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... =29&t=3957

And here's what's on my mind:

I would like to know if it is needed to model inside of the cabin or should I just cover all the windows with plating as in the concept art? At the moment it is possible to open the doors, though the cabin is empty. Removing this capability would reduce the polycount quite a lot as the doors could be just in the textures. (I have 2 variants now, one with working doors and one without them). Is it ok to go over 6k tris if I stay under 10k?

Also, how much of the underside should be modeled? Are vehicles just immobile meshes or can they move/explode/flip etc?
If the vehicle should be able to move around, should I build the rig for it?

Cheers.
No, you don't need to model the interior. These are props that will either sit in one place or be moving in a scene autonomously. As for the underside, a little detail is good, a lot of detail is not... we do sometimes kick a vehicle up on its side, but we certainly do not want the underside to have so much geometry or texture space that the over all cost of the asset in a scene is blown out of proportions.

It is not necessary to rig it, but if the wheels are detached as a sub-object, that would be useful. Thanks for asking.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 30th, 2013, 10:58 am

Gizmo wrote:
d-Koy wrote:I am hopeful that the Unity seed file and Tile Set Dimensions doc will answer most questions on the tile set, but I expect there are many that it will not, so I will address those as I can.
I have a question about double sided textures. What is the rule (of thumb?) with them in the cowd-sourced assets. Do you accept them? (And if not, do we really need to use duplicate-mirrored geometry to get the same same ~but more expensive effect?)

I'm a novice with Unity3d, but I read that you have to use a two pass shader to get double sided texturing.

I answered a few similar questions in an email the other day with another participant, thought the info might be valuable to a few of you, here they are...

• Are we allowed to use transparency? If we are, what kind (a simple alpha clip or full on transparency)?
• Should the textures be .png files with an alpha channel, or the diffuse and the alpha be separate images?

Yes, you can use either, Unity by default looks to the alpha channel of the primary diffuse for this if using one of their default shaders. We lean toward .tga format, but .png is fine too I think.

• In what situations would you normally use transparency when making textures for wasteland 2 - for instance it will be hard to fit in 500 tris for the bookshelf model without using some kind of transparency on the bookshelf legs, fabric tears on the rag, the metal rings hanging from the shelf etc.

Yes, you are correct. We use them for quite a few things. Just keep in mind our camera (typically ranging from a 45 degree to almost true top down). And of course the tri count limit is a soft suggestion, if you think a few extra hundred tris are warranted for the amount of detail you are hoping to achieve, I can bend a little 

• What about the backfaces? Are they shown at all? Are they shaded differently from front facing faces?

Lighting is always an issue with backfaces (for baked in shadows) so typically we do not tend to use double sided materials on cards, which are also typically more expensive to render. If you want to use cards with alphas, AND the backfaces are distinctly visible, I would suggest duplicating those faces in your modeling software and flipping the normals. Don’t weld the verts though, that can cause issues with the normal. It’s a few extra tri’s I know, so if the back face is not “in your face”, then don’t worry too much about it (this is not a AAA FPS after all, so chances are it won’t be noticed).
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » April 30th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Hi, anyword on my Atomic Rock Pack I submitted over two months ago, was just wondering :D

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » May 1st, 2013, 10:52 am

Da_BoS wrote:Hi, anyword on my Atomic Rock Pack I submitted over two months ago, was just wondering :D
I don't see it, so I don't think it's reached us. Try contacting Unity.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » May 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

Brother None wrote:
Da_BoS wrote:Hi, anyword on my Atomic Rock Pack I submitted over two months ago, was just wondering :D
Thanks B. I just e-mailed them, i'll see what's happening with it.

Xarek
Initiate

Post by Xarek » May 9th, 2013, 5:27 am

Da_BoS wrote:
Brother None wrote:
Thanks B. I just e-mailed them, i'll see what's happening with it.
Good luck, coming up to 3 months since my submission now and still pending review.

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » May 11th, 2013, 1:46 pm

[/quote] Good luck, coming up to 3 months since my submission now and still pending review.[/quote]

Thats quite a long time :( i thought over two.months was long. Guess we both need a bit of luck. They still havent replied to my emails got.a.couple.more.workings days b 4 have to reply but the.original people i spoke to.didnt.reply.when i e-mailed them :(

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » May 11th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Feel free to send me the name of the submissions, as well as your name and email, via PM (or my email). I don't mind nagging our contact point about it a bit, though I can't make any promises either, coz it's not on our end of things. But it can't hurt!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer