Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by FeelTheRads » April 9th, 2013, 9:12 am

Myeah, OK, so I contacted Unity and it seems my 3 assets weren't in the review queue. So, that would make 4 in total that didn't make it the first time for me. I don't know what the hell is going on. I would think that maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems I'm not the only one...
So yeah, looks like a really long time with no answer likely means the uploads didn't go through.

Even though, I must mention, that they were listed in my Unity account as "pending review". :roll:

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 9th, 2013, 5:25 pm

I contacted the Unity Store about a month ago, they answered that they are busy, therefore it takes a little longer to review.
Later in March I contacted them again but no answer so far, today I asked them to check if my submission was done correctly.
I hope to get some reply soon.
Tbh I'm not very happy with the Asset Store at the moment.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » April 9th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Maybe if inXile will have more batches they can let you know when they receive your asset. Just mass email to all the people from whom they received assets, or something, if it's easy to do.

PowerPointRanger
Initiate

Post by PowerPointRanger » April 12th, 2013, 2:20 am

Well, looks like the ball is in InXile's court now, at least when it concerns my assets.
Or maybe they didn't even bother checking if something was wrong with the queue this time, I don't know. And I probably never will.
Maybe if inXile will have more batches they can let you know when they receive your asset. Just mass email to all the people from whom they received assets, or something, if it's easy to do.
Yeah, It'd be very nice of them to do that if, that's possible, of course.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 12th, 2013, 11:32 am

I feel Unity is a little imperfect in clarity on the status of submissions, to put it mildly. I'm going to try to start sending out mails when we get submissions, but it'd have to be done manually so a little bit of wait and see there if I can track it.

I can check things for you on our end though, if you PM me to check (I couldn't earlier as FTR found out, but now I can). I see one submission from you, PPR, a Turbo Meson Cannon. I don't see the second one, unless it was submitted under another username? Until we get things from Unity we can't really do much obviously, and they do the first review process, so it's possible your other item is still under review by them.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » April 12th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Cool,bro! I see that you just accepted 2 of the 3 assets I mentioned. Can you tell me if the other one (Steel Reaver) got to you as well?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 12th, 2013, 1:47 pm

FeelTheRads wrote:Cool,bro! I see that you just accepted 2 of the 3 assets I mentioned. Can you tell me if the other one (Steel Reaver) got to you as well?
Hmmm. No, don't see that one. I'm afraid it probably got stuck with Unity :(

If you're not hearing back from them or their answers aren't helpful, feel free to bug me to bug them. That doesn't necessarily guarantee it gets done but it can't hurt.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » April 12th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Weird. When I reuploaded all three again I asked and they said they all got through. I'll wait a bit more, I guess.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 12th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna send in an email about you and PowerPointRanger, because it really is odd that we'd get some but not all assets.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » April 13th, 2013, 3:57 am

Yeah! Just got accepted last night. Hope it will take less time after submitting the update :D
Now ready for batch 4!

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 1:14 pm

A few questions answered from the announcement thread...

"Are roofs importants or they are here just for blocking. Since the camera is top/down, will they be show in some cinematic shots?"

Yes, they are important, and we have a fade out feature for when a character is obscured by them, but they need to be separate meshes for this to work. Often we use the 'floor' piece as a flat roof mesh with a different material applied. You'll see this in the 'example assembly' in the seed file.

"The limit for the tile set, <3k tri & 1 1024map, it's for each piece or for the full tileset?"

That tricount limit is for the non-tileset version of this asset, for those that don't want to tackle the modularity and would instead rather just make a destroyed building. The Tile Set Dimension file calls out the target tricount for modular pieces, which varies from piece to piece. Please use that as a guide, and your best common sense judgement... no 6K columns please :P

"I know we can use a single texture for many modular pieces, so what would be the limit of texture map for a tileset?"

Again, please refer to the Tile Set Dimensions (.txt) for this, we tend to use one texture for the walls and one for the floors. But of course we often make a few iterations of these to create variety when they are stacked side by side.

"is it possible to have 1/2 tiles, like half walls (for angled roof or rooms with highter roof), or walls only 4m large for more variety with modular pieces for seamless integration with 8x8m tiles ?"

Yes, please use powers of two when enlarging or reducing mesh sizes. A 16M or 4M wide floor is still usable in these sets, a 9.75M wide floor is not so helpful. Same for walls, though that gets a bit more tricky with the thickness of floors. Please make sure that over all, the taller walls will still hit our marks of a floor-to-floor height of 6M (basically take multiples of 6 and deduct 1.5M for the floor thickness... 1.5M height(floor) + 4.5M height (typical wall) + 6M height (potential wall extension) = 12M. Bear in mind our cameras are not that high off the floor, very tall walls don't necessarily read all that well, if at all, if they extend beyond 2 stories.

Good luck and happy modelling/texturing.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm

So, after reading so many of your posts about trouble with Unity submissions, I wanted to let you all know that we are trying to resolve these issues internally and your struggle is not going unnoticed. We can't blame Unity entirely for these complications... I am also struggling to keep everything organized and moving. This is a system Unity is actively working to refine and streamline on their end, and to be honest, not much like anything anyone else is doing out there, so a working model to use as a template isn't exactly readily available. Some emerging strategies and tools should help us with all of this in the near future when deployed. In the mean time, we're reduced to emails and on-line storage depots and brief encounters in the middle of the night.

So in an effort to help make things on inXile's side of the equation, we have recently enlisted BrotherNone to help with processing submissions. While I am an avid fan of community involvement, usually the processing and emailing gets done in my "off-hours" and sometimes my life just can't accommodate the extra workload, especially when those off-hours are getting consumed by other work projects I am not allowed to work on during the day :P
BrotherNone will be a great help when it comes to answering status questions and assisting participants with the Unity status investigations, so a huge huge huge thanks to him for handling a lot of that and making my life more manageable.

As for the recent submittals and their status, I did just receive a few more packages (9) from unity and will be processing them asap. Hopefully, as we get into Batch4, we can simultaneously resolve any older pending packages. If you dont get a letter from us within the next week or two, sound the alarm. While I know the frustrations may seem never ending and across the board, they are in fact in the minority, most of the assets submitted to us have been approved and purchased, so we will make every effort to make sure the same attention is given to yours.

Thanks everybody, happy hunting. And another thanks to BrotherNone!
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » April 15th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Thks for the answers d-Koy.
Perhaps I missed something, but in the txt I didn't see any references to tricount or textures/materials for the tileset.

For the roof part, what i mean is will the underpart will be visible during game ? In neverwinter nights games you could freely rotate the camera around your char and see the roof in some angles. Will be the same in W2 or the camera will be 'locked' to a topdown view? Just for know if we need to detail the roof part or leave it basic.

I'm curious how the engine will handle the buildings. In the video look like you have only 1 floor aviable at a time, and the lab look like a separate level. Is it like in the old infinite engine or the neverwinter nights, where the navigation was only 2d (impossible to have superposed floors) and where interiors are separated zones? That would mean in a 5 levels building, each level/floor is a separated zone?
The game can handle high buildings or only 2 floors high because of the close camera?

12M is the max height of a floor if I understand well?

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Takkik wrote:Thks for the answers d-Koy.
Perhaps I missed something, but in the txt I didn't see any references to tricount or textures/materials for the tileset.

For the roof part, what i mean is will the underpart will be visible during game ? In neverwinter nights games you could freely rotate the camera around your char and see the roof in some angles. Will be the same in W2 or the camera will be 'locked' to a topdown view? Just for know if we need to detail the roof part or leave it basic.

I'm curious how the engine will handle the buildings. In the video look like you have only 1 floor aviable at a time, and the lab look like a separate level. Is it like in the old infinite engine or the neverwinter nights, where the navigation was only 2d (impossible to have superposed floors) and where interiors are separated zones? That would mean in a 5 levels building, each level/floor is a separated zone?
The game can handle high buildings or only 2 floors high because of the close camera?

12M is the max height of a floor if I understand well?
you know, it never fails, no matter how many times you "think" you check to make sure something is current and thorough, it never is. my apologies. i just resubmitted the file that was supposed to be there :P The file should have stated...

-----------------------------------

Please refer to the following dimensions and guides when setting up your modular tile sets.

Our Grid is 8M wide by 8M deep by 6M tall.
Rotation of the meshes in Unity engine is incredibly useful to our artists to generate variety and accomodate various gameplay requirements. So, floor textures should be "grid" oriented (think square tiles or concrete with control joints at the edges) so that when rotated they will still feel natural when adjacent to another floor mesh.

The floor sub-structure is 1.5M thick, which leaves 4.5 meters for the height of interior walls.

The .fbx block-in meshes contained within the Unity seed file can be used as a guide or even as base meshes for your modelling purposes. Please give your own meshes unique names so that upon import, we are not overwritting our existing meshes :)

Destruction is great, but avoid making it too expensive from a tri-count perspective. And try and provide a non-destroyed version so that we can swap back and forth between the two where appropriate.
Tricount, obviously, will vary depending on the piece you are working on, but in general we want to try and keep the larger pieces (walls and floors) under 2.5K and smaller pieces (columns and beams) under 1K.

Typicall we have one material for floors and one for walls. Included is the template we are currently using for our tilesets. If you follow this format, we can also use your textures on existing pieces, which would be great, but not a requirement.

---------------------------------------------

As for the different floors, we will be handling interiors on a floor by floor basis though i dont have the expectation that it will be broken up into zones. not sure what tech will be the final implementation, but if there is a floor above, it will not obscure the characters below, and can be gotten to simply by going to a stairwell, so no worries there.
The vast majority of the floors are single in nature, though the occasional floors are 12M high (like as in an interior for a manufacturing facility or museum), so your tile set should reflect that.
As for undersides of rooftops, no one can see them from the camera, it is locked as a top down, though I tend to give them some attention in case I need to destroy them.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » April 15th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Is it a must that the buildings must be in the multiples of 6m high? 6m, 12m? Is it alright if a building is only say 8m-9m high? Say I have a building with 4m high 1st storey and the 2nd storey which is destroyed is around 3.5m or less, is that alright? I brought the meshes in Unity to the 3D program and it seems like the wall sections are 4.5m high? Also the floor has to be 1.5m thick?

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 7:38 pm

cw8 wrote:Is it a must that the buildings must be in the multiples of 6m high? 6m, 12m? Is it alright if a building is only say 8m-9m high? Say I have a building with 4m high 1st storey and the 2nd storey which is destroyed is around 3.5m or less, is that alright? I brought the meshes in Unity to the 3D program and it seems like the wall sections are 4.5m high? Also the floor has to be 1.5m thick?
Well, in general, the reason we are providing these dimensions is because they fall into the zone of what is working well with our other systems. It also allows us to mix and match tileset pieces to generate variety.
So, yes, they should match, though if a destroyed wall is only 3.5M tall or is only 2.5M long, that makes sense, right... its not a complete wall. As long as they had the proper dimensions before destruction, if you get my meaning. You probably noticed in the set there is a "thin" floor piece, that for use on ground floor where meshes would be wasting tri's under the terrain actor, as demonstrated in the example assembly in that same seed file scene.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 7:46 pm

For those of you who have already downloaded the seed file... I wanted to address a few questions about textures and materials, so I updated the seed file with a few fake textures/materials to demonstrate how we are tackling that in game. These can be used as guides, but again, this would probably change depending on how you set up your tileset meshes and UV layouts. There are a couple of variants in there as far as UV space is concerned, but they all follow the same basic rules.

I didn't really ever have the expectation that these texture templates would be useful for anyone else's tilesets, though if they did conform, we could use them on some of our current sets :)

There isn't much new in there, so no need to DL if you have already started on this task. Just an update for the curious.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 15th, 2013, 8:34 pm

I have to interrupt the stream of posts about tile sets with a short question. :)

What is actually the maximum height for the radio tower?
300m? :lol:

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » April 16th, 2013, 7:04 am

Thank you for all the anwser d-Koy. One more question :
We must use the standart door size (provided in the template, I imagine a single door is half size?) or can we use custom ones (what are the minimum size for char to get through?).
In general, what are the minimum size for walkable aera?

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 16th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Prime8brain wrote:I have to interrupt the stream of posts about tile sets with a short question. :)

What is actually the maximum height for the radio tower?
300m? :lol:
Please, please, interrupt :)

The radio tower... so I dont have a problem with it being really tall, even if it runs up past the cameras, we often have props placed on gameplay space adjacent areas that are much lower in elevation, so you could conceivably still see it even if it was really really tall, but not likely 300M :P

i would say between 10 and 30 meters is manageable for most cases, depending on the type of tower.

And thanks for tackling the tower, we use them in almost every scene and relish more variety if we can get it!
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment