Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Prime8brain
Novice

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by Prime8brain » March 20th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Trappey wrote:Koy, I'm calling you out son,
Relax, considering that it takes Unity more than 1.5 month to get the assets approved we might not have time for any additional batches before the release anyway :twisted:

Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate an update as well.

PowerPointRanger
Initiate

Post by PowerPointRanger » March 21st, 2013, 4:30 am

Prime8brain wrote:Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate an update as well.
This. I realize inXile has other priorities, but come on - it's been almost three months since batch 3 was started.

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » March 21st, 2013, 6:55 pm

My random guess is that they're also busy with trying to make the existing submitted models consistent with the game and also each other? Afterall they all come with different texture styles and colours.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 22nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Ok, so Koy followed up on this in the in the latest update.

Hello Backers,

Been cranking away on WL2 for a while now, and so happy to be getting to the point where we are able to have level reviews discussing where we are at on each scene from both a scripting and art perspective. Of course, the W.A.S.T.E. (Wasteland2 Asset Store Threedee Experiment) has been more than great, for many reasons beyond the opportunity to purchase some pretty sweet work from truly dedicated fans and artists. It really has been an unusual and unexpectedly exciting means of connecting with the community. My thanks go out to all of those who have suffered through the sometimes painfully slow start-up process.

As I am sure participants of the experiment know, Batch 4 has yet to be announced. While I cannot go into details, it is due for release soon, as part of a larger plan that I know excites us and should be great for the participants as well. More to come on that in the very near future, for now my lips are sealed. We are sad that it’s delayed our requests for what should be a fun batch of assets, with a few new request types for some of the more experienced environment artists. (Giddy with anticipation.)

So you’ve all seen the video by now, I assume, and I hope that a few of you have had the pleasure to see a few of your W.A.S.T.E. submissions working their way into our scenes. It was always my goal and hope that these assets would slip right in, under the radar, striking the right look without complicated changes on our end. Use of atmospherics (like lighting, fog, post-processes, FX, etc.) always have great ability to unify a scene, but certainly there needs to be a base level of quality and style present for these techniques to be effective. And I think to a great extent this is due to the tone and style that our resident concept artist, Phill Dickenson, has crafted. His pieces have so greatly influenced much of the work that we’ve received when it comes to proportions and the tone that’s struck; a high percentage of deliverables have been employed with little to no extra effort on our part. He has been a great partner in developing this look, so much thanks to him for all of that.

Keep up the fantastic work participants. I eagerly await the launch of Batch 4, and the onslaught of new submissions.

Koy vanOteghem

It's not a full explanation, but I'm hoping we'll progress on this in the coming week! If not, continue to blame me.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Trappey
Initiate

Post by Trappey » March 23rd, 2013, 9:06 am

Thank you for the update, sorry if I've seemed a little short in my posts. All I've wanted was for the community to be kept better informed during this collaboration.

Looking forward to batch 4.

Mailing list; still a good idea.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 23rd, 2013, 4:41 pm

Nah, it's understandable, we've made some missteps but it was a bit of a learning process too. I'll work closely with Koy to help improve some of this, I hope.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » March 25th, 2013, 2:25 am

Good to hear something.
Sounds like batch 4 will be something exciting, looking forward to it.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » March 25th, 2013, 3:45 am

All previous assets have been reviewed or there is still some in the queue?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 25th, 2013, 11:32 am

Takkik wrote:All previous assets have been reviewed or there is still some in the queue?
Good question. Lemme check up on that. Would be good to have everything cleared.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » March 25th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Mine still in review that why I ask. Hope there isn't any problem. Would like it to be sorted before batch 4, specialy if it's need modifications.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » March 25th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Takkik wrote:Mine still in review that why I ask. Hope there isn't any problem. Would like it to be sorted before batch 4, specialy if it's need modifications.
You're not the only one. I have 3 assets still in "Pending review".

PowerPointRanger
Initiate

Post by PowerPointRanger » March 25th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Two assets in queue here. No letters, no information, nothing.

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 26th, 2013, 1:01 am

Same here... :)
My first got rejected after a week for not beeing submitted in the inXile scene, stupid me always ignoring readme. So I resubmitted and it's been almost 1.5 months.

Crocapaw
Initiate

Post by Crocapaw » March 27th, 2013, 10:28 am

I'm excited to see what comes in Batch 4, but I'm worried about doing these more complex props on a short time frame :? Maybe it would be an idea to do a longer working time, which also gives the concept artist more time to work on the next batch.

Either way, I know I will get something done :)

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 29th, 2013, 10:40 am

I have a question for devs.
I tried to upload my package to Unity. One of the fields in the posting tools was URL of publisher website. So I went on Google and half-assed a little web page. Couple of days later Unity rejected my submission, because the site was "half assed". I know nothing about creating web pages, and I feel like it's going to take me a long time to create something passable. So my question is: Do I really need a website for submission? If I do, can I just use this forum as a link? And if I have to create a good website-is there a free/low cost tool/provider that you could recommend with easy to use editing/creation?

Thank You in advance.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

Boredom
Novice

Post by Boredom » March 29th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Inca wrote:I have a question for devs.
I tried to upload my package to Unity. One of the fields in the posting tools was URL of publisher website. So I went on Google and half-assed a little web page. Couple of days later Unity rejected my submission, because the site was "half assed". I know nothing about creating web pages, and I feel like it's going to take me a long time to create something passable. So my question is: Do I really need a website for submission? If I do, can I just use this forum as a link? And if I have to create a good website-is there a free/low cost tool/provider that you could recommend with easy to use editing/creation?

Thank You in advance.
What I did was make a DeviantArt page. I didn't encounter any trouble with Unity/rejections after doing so. Maybe give that a shot if all else fails.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 4th, 2013, 1:49 am

My Clawer is still pending as well. I hit the 2 month mark soon...
Even if the Unity guys are busy this is really long, if I have to make a change since something is wrong with the model or whatever, will it take that long again?
It is a little bit weird that there seams to be no one on the Unity Forum having the same issue, I found even some claiming it takes less then 24hrs to be reviewed. :?

Anyone came through recently?

Still looking forward to see batch 4, didn't loose all motivation yet :D

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 4th, 2013, 2:06 am

at the moment they are kicking torment forward ... they released a new picture a few hours ago ... after funding torment, i think we may hear some news regarding W2 crowdsourcing, hopefully they have good news for the people who designed or are still designing assets for W2

... assets which are dedicated to wasteland 2, maybe also need a check from inXile

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » April 4th, 2013, 5:11 am

Prime8brain wrote:My Clawer is still pending as well. I hit the 2 month mark soon...
Even if the Unity guys are busy this is really long, if I have to make a change since something is wrong with the model or whatever, will it take that long again?
It is a little bit weird that there seams to be no one on the Unity Forum having the same issue, I found even some claiming it takes less then 24hrs to be reviewed. :?

Anyone came through recently?

Still looking forward to see batch 4, didn't loose all motivation yet :D
I emailed unity and they said that my asset was not in the review queue and that I should resubmit.
I resubmitted last night and they now confirmed that they were in the queue. I should expect 10 working days of queue time.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 4th, 2013, 9:38 am

Yeah, always check with Unity first. They're the first "bottleneck" before we even get it (because they do the first selection).

Batch was delayed for reasons outside our control :cry: Sorry guys, we'll get it up. Torment doesn't really influence WL2's production but it does give us guys on the "production/communication" side a lot more to do. No excuse, but anyway, sorry, we'll get to it ASAP.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer