Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Prime8brain
Novice

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by Prime8brain » January 16th, 2013, 6:52 pm

d-Koy wrote: Ah, I knew the was coming :)
If you want to rig them, feel free, but it is certainly not a requirement.
Thanks, sounds very good.
Actually I don't want to rig them :D , haven't done that for year and worry it would use up all the time I need to crate the model.

I have one other question about the Unity asset store, if it was already answered I wasn't able to find it.
As I understand the Unity Store Usage Agreement, all submitted assets are non-exclusive.
If it is ever the case that you choose one of my assets :o I would actually prefer it to be in WL2 exclusively, since I'm not making money with this I'm not really interested in selling the asset to "unknown" buyers.
Is there any way to make the asset exclusive for WL2?

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 17th, 2013, 8:45 am

That's a good question. I'm not interested in selling these for others either. I don't know how Unity store works (I don't have anything there yet) but isn't there any option to take down the product or make it inaccessible for other buyers once inXile gets it?

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » January 17th, 2013, 1:11 pm

If something is insignificantly thin from the game's perspective or it's thickness could not be seen anyway, can the model use parts that are only one faced? Or does everything need to have a thickness?

I exported one model with such feature and it looked like it handled it good, but i am not sure what is the rule on these.

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 19th, 2013, 12:26 am

Prime8brain wrote:
d-Koy wrote: Ah, I knew the was coming :)
If you want to rig them, feel free, but it is certainly not a requirement.
Thanks, sounds very good.
Actually I don't want to rig them :D , haven't done that for year and worry it would use up all the time I need to crate the model.

I have one other question about the Unity asset store, if it was already answered I wasn't able to find it.
As I understand the Unity Store Usage Agreement, all submitted assets are non-exclusive.
If it is ever the case that you choose one of my assets :o I would actually prefer it to be in WL2 exclusively, since I'm not making money with this I'm not really interested in selling the asset to "unknown" buyers.
Is there any way to make the asset exclusive for WL2?
FeelTheRads wrote:That's a good question. I'm not interested in selling these for others either. I don't know how Unity store works (I don't have anything there yet) but isn't there any option to take down the product or make it inaccessible for other buyers once inXile gets it?
Hmmm, this is a good question we have thought about but haven't really ever decided on. It would not be without complication that I wont go into here, but I do understand your reasoning. Let me look into it and I will get back to you.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 19th, 2013, 12:40 am

Sinnorfin wrote:If something is insignificantly thin from the game's perspective or it's thickness could not be seen anyway, can the model use parts that are only one faced? Or does everything need to have a thickness?

I exported one model with such feature and it looked like it handled it good, but i am not sure what is the rule on these.
We do sometimes use cards to fake detail like wires and the like, but it depends on the context as I am sure you could guess. We do sometimes use one-sided faces, duplicate them, and flip the normals if it can be viewed from both sides. We try not to leave open faces on the bottoms of things because sometimes they get knocked over in game and that causes weird shadows and see through geometry. Especially with something that might animate, say a drone, you never know where the camera's going to be.

So like every rule, there are always exceptions, but in general we try to include geometry where we can and limit cards so as to not destroy the illusion when the camera gets into a bad reference angle.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » January 19th, 2013, 3:06 am

Thanks for clearing up on that issue. :)

shadowman
Initiate

Post by shadowman » January 19th, 2013, 3:55 am

About bump maps.
If I use the demo scene provided by inXile as a reference for how my shack will look in game

foum thread -> (http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... =29&t=3231)

I would never use:

1. bump maps. Nearly not visible
2. Shack texture bigger than 1024x1024, I would go for 512x512.
FeelTheRads wrote:Did you get the second batch of submissions from Unity yet? I'm wondering because my second upload (which is for the second batch) is still in "new" status. The first one got to "pending review" quite fast...
In my experience, "new" requires a new upload, or lets say updating the asset reuploading.
I have seen "new" status forever on my assets until I have reuploaded them to get the "pending review". So I guess it's what the DDBB says when the upload has not been completed correctly, but you get no "error" message.
Why Unity team is not more clear about what does "new" status mean? thats a good question, I would say just "Unity's way of doing things". I have reported this many times with no fix till this date.

===

I decided to make a small demo to show how super high res textures (even bump maps) are useless, though is something you all can see in Unity.
Making the main texture at 2048 is ok, but splitting the model in many different textures because you think that your shack needs more resolution" makes no sense. That may end in 2 ways:

1. The game is slow for high draw call count (inXile decided to lower your textures to 256x256 anyway)
2. inXile reworks the models to make all the unwrap fits in a single 1024. More work for the team.

Here you have a demo, with 3 different verions of my shack (props material is always the same).
1. 512 texture diffuse only
2. 2048 diffuse only
3. 2048 diffuse and normal

Note I had to bring the camera closer to get more detail and be able (if possible) to glance some differences.

http://dactilardesign.com/files/shack/shack.html

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 21st, 2013, 7:38 am

Cool, my submission from the first batch was accepted!

Did you go through those from the second batch as well or those are yet to come?

shadowman
Initiate

Post by shadowman » January 22nd, 2013, 1:02 am

FeelTheRads wrote:Cool, my submission from the first batch was accepted!

Did you go through those from the second batch as well or those are yet to come?
I would like inXile to report how and when assets get accepted by Unity.
My shack has been there for a month "pending review".

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 22nd, 2013, 3:32 am

shadowman wrote:

How about PM d-koy for the information instead?

** My thinking is that the what you suggest would quickly become another time sink for them... like a blog project that requires tracking the submissions and additional time to write updates. Things like that can become a time leach IMO.

A good [but perhaps unwelcome] assumption, is to consider all submissions as rejected ~and a delightful surprise if any of one's own are actually accepted.

Unfortunately for me, it's Mardi Gras here, and that's my business ~so I've not had any time to finish up and polish even my batch 1 submissions ~which I still plan to upload anyway, though I will assume their time has passed.

Edit: Hey! Batch 3 looks like it could be fun; I had already done a little work on that subject many months ago. :D
Image Image
Both of these are 3d source models.

*** And so is this... It's old; it's Mr.Handy (you can see the early 2008 FO3 screenshot in tha background :D ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUslVGxW_WE

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 23rd, 2013, 2:14 pm

Working on those now, many to go through, trying to keep up.

2nd Batch will certainly go much faster, so get ready to resubmit!
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 23rd, 2013, 2:18 pm

Gizmo wrote:
shadowman wrote:

How about PM d-koy for the information instead?

** My thinking is that the what you suggest would quickly become another time sink for them... like a blog project that requires tracking the submissions and additional time to write updates. Things like that can become a time leach IMO.

A good [but perhaps unwelcome] assumption, is to consider all submissions as rejected ~and a delightful surprise if any of one's own are actually accepted.

Unfortunately for me, it's Mardi Gras here, and that's my business ~so I've not had any time to finish up and polish even my batch 1 submissions ~which I still plan to upload anyway, though I will assume their time has passed.

Edit: Hey! Batch 3 looks like it could be fun; I had already done a little work on that subject many months ago. :D
Image Image
Both of these are 3d source models.

*** And so is this... It's old; it's Mr.Handy (you can see the early 2008 FO3 screenshot in tha background :D ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUslVGxW_WE
Heh heh, enjoy the festivities, we will still review and potentially accept your work even though it's late.

As for updates, we are sending out both accept and decline letters, I wouldn't ever want to leave anyone wondering what the hell happened. So look for one of the two, I assure you they are coming, moving on to Batch 2 now (which also includes Batch 1 late submittals)
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 23rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

shadowman wrote:

Honestly, this is a bit of a black box for me as well. To clarify the process (which I apologize has been a slow start), we get a list of assets they have received, and the packages as well. We then review the work, evaluate our needs (how many can we potentially use in game) , run them through a process of elimination, then send out letters with badges and instructions (and sadly declines have to go out too), and then Unity will upload them to the store when they get your resubmitted package.

I hope that helps a little, I don't know exactly what happens behind the Unity curtain. It should be more evident as people are resubmitting their assets.

Additionally, there are a few packages that I don't have the right info on, like a missing email address or the package was corrupt and I couldn't review. I am working with Unity to resolve those issues, but this is a pretty infrequent occurrence.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » January 23rd, 2013, 6:05 pm

d-Koy wrote:Hmmm, this is a good question we have thought about but haven't really ever decided on. It would not be without complication that I wont go into here, but I do understand your reasoning. Let me look into it and I will get back to you.
Thanks for the answer, I understand it might be difficult, Unity of course wants to have some stuff in their store.
I just make it that expensive that no one will buy it... oh, that might not be the best approach :D

I better hurry to get my model done, otherwise it doesn't matter anyway ;)

@Shadowman
I disagree that bump maps are nearly not visible, that highly depends on the model and the other textures as well, in your example you are right it is not easy to see.
The difference between 512x512 and 2048x2048 becomes visible on a high resolution e.g. 2560x1600

shadowman
Initiate

Post by shadowman » January 24th, 2013, 12:30 am

@Shadowman
I disagree that bump maps are nearly not visible, that highly depends on the model and the other textures as well, in your example you are right it is not easy to see.
The difference between 512x512 and 2048x2048 becomes visible on a high resolution e.g. 2560x1600
It's not that much depending on the model, but on the distance to the model (even more important if fog is being used).
" becomes visible on a high resolution e.g. 2560x1600" that alone is a good reason not to use 2048 textures.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 24th, 2013, 4:50 am

If there's anybody here who has an asset still listed as "New" after a long time (in other words it didn't get to "Pending review") they might want to contact Unity support. That's what I did and they told me they couldn't find it so it might have been a problem and I should resubmit. So, I did and now it went straight to "Pending review".

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » January 24th, 2013, 6:38 am

Hi need sum help :(

After my first submission was refused I fixed all the blurring etc thankfully it was cosmetic so spent the last two weeks sorting that out. I was gonna resubmit again this weekend but I've encountered blurring again which is not my fault :( see below and I'm concerned I'll get knocked back again for it, so I have a comparison between what they look like in Blender and how they look in unity (in different modes) In Blender they look good the detail is acceptable when I export to Unity thats when the problem occurs and I loose detail, I have been over on Unity and they said change the texture import setting above 1024 and I did and it did help but it stills loses texture when I zoom in, and its enuff for me to worry whether I'll be refused again for blurring. So I've posted on unity and Blender forums for help but I know theres a lot of knowledgeable people here so I thought I'd ask for help, maybe I could change something in the Export settings in Blender? I'm not sure :(

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18 ... photo.jpg/

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 24th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Da_BoS wrote:Hi need sum help :( So I've posted on unity and Blender forums for help but I know theres a lot of knowledgeable people here so I thought I'd ask for help, maybe I could change something in the Export settings in Blender? I'm not sure :(

There is not enough information to make a reasonable guess ~yet.

First thing to check is the actual images that Unity has in it's folders; are they the same, the same size and quality?

Depending on your settings, Blender does not use the UVmapped textures for export; it uses the material textures, and they can be different. Did you ever setup the materials using a lower quality image? Materials are what usually get exported. It is possible to set the material to use the mapped UVtexture; changing that setting returns to whatever the material is.

The Unity screenshots seem to me to be only using the diffuse; is that how it is?

Post screenshots of Blender's settings instead, so that we can read them. Or... You could copy the Blend file, swap out the textured rocks for cubes, and post the Blend file to let someone check the settings first hand.

Something else to check... I don't know how your UV is laid out, but it's a safe bet that any one side of the rock is around 256x128 or so. If you zoom in on that, and the desktop is set to 1920x1080 (or higher), that's going to blur.

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » January 25th, 2013, 12:43 am

Gizmo wrote:
Da_BoS wrote:Hi need sum help :( So I've posted on unity and Blender forums for help but I know theres a lot of knowledgeable people here so I thought I'd ask for help, maybe I could change something in the Export settings in Blender? I'm not sure :(

There is not enough information to make a reasonable guess ~yet.

First thing to check is the actual images that Unity has in it's folders; are they the same, the same size and quality?

Depending on your settings, Blender does not use the UVmapped textures for export; it uses the material textures, and they can be different. Did you ever setup the materials using a lower quality image? Materials are what usually get exported. It is possible to set the material to use the mapped UVtexture; changing that setting returns to whatever the material is.

The Unity screenshots seem to me to be only using the diffuse; is that how it is?

Post screenshots of Blender's settings instead, so that we can read them. Or... You could copy the Blend file, swap out the textured rocks for cubes, and post the Blend file to let someone check the settings first hand.

Something else to check... I don't know how your UV is laid out, but it's a safe bet that any one side of the rock is around 256x128 or so. If you zoom in on that, and the desktop is set to 1920x1080 (or higher), that's going to blur.
Thankyou Gizmo, they figured it out over at Unity, its the texture sizes have to be set to the power of 2 and Unity scales them up this way and was stretching the image and burring the detail out :)

skywalger
Novice

Post by skywalger » January 28th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Hey,...I wanna ask InXIle if they could let us know when they are finished with batch 2 so I know if there is some problem with my asset or not ....pending review for 1 month now and no e-mail so far...Thx :-)