DRM free version?

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
obiwahn
Initiate

DRM free version?

Post by obiwahn » September 22nd, 2014, 3:06 pm

Hi,

today I have bought the game for 40€ in the HumbleBundle store. There was another offer for 20€ at fast2play.com but I decided to go for the HumbleStore because I like my games DRM free. It also enables me to install games without infecting my system with steam. So i really was kind of pissed when i noticed that I got nothing more than a usual steam game for doubled price. I have very beefy system and run some test nearly all the time so I do not really often boot Windows. That is why I have not even tested the games and may wait for the weekend.

You guys really seem very decent from what I saw watching the videos: Facing the problems with publishers and being in a market where you seem to get only support for dumbest mainstream bullshit. Usually I always buy some games I do even play to give a few bucks to game developers, and because I loved Fallout (Tactics not so much) and you guys seemed very sympathetic I have given about 4times the amount I would usually spent to Inxile for a game that I don't even know - trusting that it will be good (it most probably is - yeah I could have watched final bosman, kotaku or whatever).

I really think that that DRM is the wrong way, I rather pay the double price to get a version that I own and that I can install as I like. Never the less I wish you good luck. But even though torment looks good i am not going to buy this steam shit again! I do not expect that you work for free and I honor your work by paying more than I would usually do. People who want to pirate are going to pirate anyway. You punish the people who pay you by not giving them a copy they own!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

/rage-mode-off
Please rethink!

Cheers!
Jan

PS: If I had more qualifications as game-developer I would try to get hired by you:) Lover your attitude and the kind of games and awesome artstyle. But we would need to talk about DRM :D

Gallenger
Acolyte

Re: DRM free version?

Post by Gallenger » September 22nd, 2014, 4:22 pm

GoG's version is the DRM free version.

The steam version is DRM free beyond the steam-side DRM.

hellboy1975
Novice

Post by hellboy1975 » September 22nd, 2014, 4:50 pm

No sense blaming the developer here - it just sounds to me like you didn't read the fine print. The Humble Store isn't a DRM free shop (though some games there are DRM free). If you haven't installed Steam and used the key yet, they might be happy to give you a refund though.

As pointed out above GOG is where you should have purchased this from.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 22nd, 2014, 6:52 pm

In short, Humble is a Steam key reseller for us for the time being because it massively simplifies our lives regarding distribution, especially at launch.

Both versions on GOG.com and Steam are DRM-free, though for Steam you need the Steam client to download/update which some people consider itself to be DRM (even though it doesn't need to be connected to play).

WastelandWanderer
Initiate

Post by WastelandWanderer » September 22nd, 2014, 7:54 pm

HumbleBundle (aka Humble Store) is the outfit you should be mad at. They made their early reputation on selling DRM-free games, but have since severely muddied the waters and (as you have found out), are more often than not, just a reseller for DRM-laden STEAM stuff.

I'm rabidly anti-DRM (a sale is a *sale*, dammit!), and GOG has thus far proved to be a wonderful outfit that sells some great titles with absolutely zero Digital Restrictions Malarky.

If you can get your money back from the Humble folks, run over to GOG and enjoy the wonderful, professional DRM-free service they provide.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 22nd, 2014, 7:57 pm

WastelandWanderer wrote:HumbleBundle (aka Humble Store) is the outfit you should be mad at. They made their early reputation on selling DRM-free games, but have since severely muddied the waters and (as you have found out), are more often than not, just a reseller for DRM-laden STEAM stuff.

I'm rabidly anti-DRM (a sale is a *sale*, dammit!), and GOG has thus far proved to be a wonderful outfit that sells some great titles with absolutely zero Digital Restrictions Malarky.

If you can get your money back from the Humble folks, run over to GOG and enjoy the wonderful, professional DRM-free service they provide.
As already explained, we do not use DRM on Steam.

That said, my thoughts on DRM and gaming are a little complex so I probably don't want to go into them, but suffice it to say we tried to give people the best and most relevant options available that were within our reasonable means. :) That means covering Steam with the people who like Steam, and also covering DRM-free fans with GOG.com. And, of course, we do Windows, Mac and Linux across all as well, which is great because it avoids us needing to add specific stores just to support X operating system.

We've already rolled out to platforms like Origin, and we'll certainly look at growing into others were it makes sense for us.

viperswhip
Initiate

Post by viperswhip » September 22nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

Infect your computer with Steam...

It doesn't even run if you don't want it to, it doesn't do anything if you don't want it to, I don't understand the issues people have with Steam.

WastelandWanderer
Initiate

Post by WastelandWanderer » September 23rd, 2014, 5:16 am

sea wrote:
WastelandWanderer wrote:HumbleBundle (aka Humble Store) is the outfit you should be mad at. They made their early reputation on selling DRM-free games, but have since severely muddied the waters and (as you have found out), are more often than not, just a reseller for DRM-laden STEAM stuff.

As already explained, we do not use DRM on Steam.
Oh, I understand that the STEAM version doesn't actually use STEAM's DRM... yet the problem for folks who desire to eschew all DRM is that to install the version from STEAM, you, well, need STEAM installed. (STEAM has more problems than just being an insidious DRM platform.)

For those that do not want to install STEAM at all, you need to look to GOG. GOG is awesome, and I hope the Inxile-GOG business relationship greatly benefits both parties - as a customer of both, I've already benefitted wonderfully.

viperswhip wrote:Infect your computer with Steam...

It doesn't even run if you don't want it to, it doesn't do anything if you don't want it to, I don't understand the issues people have with Steam.
In theory, you are correct. In practice, STEAM has regularly ignored user preferences and done its own thing, to include breaking itself and installed games. It's horrible, horrible software in more ways than one, and people who desire to avoid it often do so with very good reason. (As an aside, do you think you actually *own* any games on your STEAM account?)

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » September 23rd, 2014, 5:35 am

WastelandWanderer wrote: For those that do not want to install STEAM at all, you need to look to GOG. GOG is awesome, and I hope the Inxile-GOG business relationship greatly benefits both parties - as a customer of both, I've already benefitted wonderfully.
You have to register an account for GoG , thats a form of DRM too.

Its nice to have gog around but in the end I just prefer steam because its so easy to use, keeps the games up to date, cloud save, steam overlay AND the option to publish a game without DRM
Steam is awesome, I hope that the Inxile-steam business relationship greatly benefits both parties

Sslaxx
Initiate

Post by Sslaxx » September 23rd, 2014, 5:49 am

Dunno what Windows does, but under Linux you can run Wasteland (installed from Steam) without Steam running, from the command line.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » September 23rd, 2014, 7:35 am

It works the same on the Windows side.

Steam is just the means to download and update the game; so unless you want to do one of those tasks, you'll never need to run it.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

viperswhip
Initiate

Post by viperswhip » September 23rd, 2014, 8:12 am

WastelandWanderer wrote:
viperswhip wrote:Infect your computer with Steam...

In theory, you are correct. In practice, STEAM has regularly ignored user preferences and done its own thing, to include breaking itself and installed games. It's horrible, horrible software in more ways than one, and people who desire to avoid it often do so with very good reason. (As an aside, do you think you actually *own* any games on your STEAM account?)
I own around 150 games on Steam, it's one of my preferred delivery platforms. I used to use Impulse when it was run by Stardock, but then they sold it to some crappy company, so I went to Steam. I own around 70 games on GoG. I don't really have a huge preference other than I find Steam really easy to use and other than occasionally having to restart Steam once or twice after an update, I have had ZERO issues with it.

But looking at these forums I am well aware that people mess up there own computers and will thus have issues with various software, and I suppose Steam could be one, but it uses virtually no resources itself and as I said, I've not had an issue.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 23rd, 2014, 10:34 pm

Hey. Hey guys? Can we please not have yet another rehash of the holy war that is any discussion of Steam?
Alwa nasci korliri das.