Let's Talk About the New Forum Mods

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Status

Post by Woolfe » November 4th, 2013, 3:11 pm

ffordesoon wrote:5. We only really answer to Brother None in the first place. It's not like we're exchanging cat pictures with Fargo over Skype or anything.
Wait... We can do THAT..... jeesus where is my camera....

And I need to get a cat.... ;)

Hey Snake, I think us becoming mods might be related to more communications, but only indirectly. I think the hope is that by farming out the forums stuff, which can be done by free labour, it might free up time for focusing on things that BN needs to do elsewhere.
Thrin wrote:While I love the folk who have joined Ranger Team Alpha I think it's important that the members of it understand that by being moderators, regardless of reality, there is a perception that you are now affiliated with inXile.

Personally, I think it was a bad move on inXile's part to hire ya'll unless, of course, you are getting paid and have signed a contract with inXile then, by all means, carry on!
We aren't being paid, we haven't signed a contract, we are not affiliated aside from the fact we have been here a while. I think one of the main reasons we were asked is because we are here a lot, and between us we pretty much cover 24 hours of the day. One of our illustrious duties is getting rid of the Spam... Yay :roll:

Oh and as far as I am aware the original mods, who came from NMA mostly (I believe) were not affiliated/paid either. I don't know if you have noticed, but they aren't around much, I actually think this has been well overdue for BN to ask some others to assist him. I was happy to do it, as I believe were the others. It's not that great an onus on our time outside of what we were already doing ... which is possibly a poor reflection on us :oops: :lol:

Damn beaten by BN :o

Edit: Fixing atrocious grammar
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Brother None
Developer

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Status

Post by Brother None » November 4th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Ronin73 wrote:Only thing wrong with it is the admin and inXile colors look a bit too similar, unless the admin IS associated with inXile?
They are yes. The admin account is run by me and Joby (not really used much), and the other admins (me, Scott and Johnny) are all also in the inXile group. The volunteers are the Global Moderators and Rangers groups.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Re: Let's Talk About the New Forum Mods

Post by paultakeda » November 4th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thrin wrote: While I love the folk who have joined Ranger Team Alpha I think it's important that the members of it understand that by being moderators, regardless of reality, there is a perception that you are now affiliated with inXile.
What, no Team Bravo love? :lol:

I've been a moderator on several forums before, some unofficial fan places, some official (and no, BrotherNone never asked about it), heck I was a remote sysop for a WWIV BBS once. I have never been paid for it and never once assumed or claimed any sort of official affiliation. I am rather surprised that one would perceive such an affiliation in the first place.

Then again, I'm surprised snakeoil made this leap of logic of lack of inXile communication being solved by shutting up frequent posters with forum power. That takes some imagination, that.

The forums are gonna get slammed when the beta hits and so some of us were asked to help a little, mostly just moving topics to the right places and keeping threads on topic. That's it. I'm not even touching the spam... maybe that's an Alpha duty. Heh. Sucky duty.

And if you think I've lost my voice, here's one for you: I am still monumentally disappointed in the hero party mechanic of Wasteland 2 and consider it the greatest tragedy of the game's modernization.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 4th, 2013, 5:17 pm

paultakeda wrote: And if you think I've lost my voice, here's one for you: I am still monumentally disappointed in the hero party mechanic of Wasteland 2 and consider it the greatest tragedy of the game's modernization.
Even though I will manage without it, I do agree with you on this.

Hopefully it is something that can be modded in later. Maybe add a computer or something in the Citadel that can take you to the character generation screen?
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 4th, 2013, 10:29 pm

paultakeda wrote:What, no Team Bravo love? :lol:
That bunch of Johnnies-come-lately? Pfft.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 4th, 2013, 10:56 pm

My plan is to accrue multiple ranger teams until I can send them all into the Thunderdome to determine which is the best team.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 4th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Ranger Team Bravo will obviously win... I mean it'll be close at first, but then Zombra will use up all of Alpha's ammo firing at full Auto :D

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 5th, 2013, 12:23 am

Brother None wrote:My plan is to accrue multiple ranger teams until I can send them all into the Thunderdome to determine which is the best team.
We don't need another hero...

I'll get my coat :oops:
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » November 5th, 2013, 6:20 am

Brother None wrote:My plan is to accrue multiple ranger teams until I can send them all into the Thunderdome to determine which is the best team.
Come on guys, can't we just get BEYOND Thunderdome?

[crickets.]

I'm sorry... I'll... I'll see myself out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabcM9SOF-E
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 5th, 2013, 11:22 pm

What no one got my obvious reference to Zombra's Avatar... I am disappointed :P

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 5th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Oh, I got it 8-)
I was trying to not draw attention to myself for fear of getting Dismissed :?

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 9th, 2013, 3:45 pm

No such thing as a professional forum moderator. This is nothing new and nothing to get jealous about.

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » November 9th, 2013, 4:01 pm

i don't like how there seems to be a lot of splitted posts.

also, what is a poster that last logged april 29th of this year, doing as a mod ?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 9th, 2013, 4:13 pm

The original group of mods were borrowed from other forums. NMA I think was the primary one.

BrotherNone has been mostly a one man band looking after this for quite sometime now. I am sure the others popped in now and again, but they certainly were not regulars.

Hence the new mods to help out as the forums expand.

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » November 9th, 2013, 6:38 pm

BrotherNone and RangerBen were the original Global moderators.

Jess Gulbranson, SuAside, Tagaziel and I(Sxerks) were added as Rangers near the end of March 2012.

Jess Gulbranson isn't listed anymore, and Tagaziel hasn't been here since he started the WL2guru forum/blog.

SuAside and I were bump up to Global mods in March of 2013 after BrotherNone was hired.

I have been here every day moving/deleting spam, so you may not have noticed.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 9th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Sxerks wrote:BrotherNone and RangerBen were the original Global moderators.

Jess Gulbranson, SuAside, Tagaziel and I(Sxerks) were added as Rangers near the end of March 2012.

Jess Gulbranson isn't listed anymore, and Tagaziel hasn't been here since he started the WL2guru forum/blog.

SuAside and I were bump up to Global mods in March of 2013 after BrotherNone was hired.

I have been here every day moving/deleting spam, so you may not have noticed.
My apologies... I had assumed it was BN doing all the spam stuff as well...

:D

BlackGauntlet
Explorer

Post by BlackGauntlet » November 25th, 2013, 12:23 am

The unsung heroes are always the ones who worked the hardest in silence.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 25th, 2013, 9:35 am

Yeah Sxerks and SuA do great work but more quietly so. Nothing wrong with that!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » August 13th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Sorry for the thread necromancy. I happened on this thread by accident, and found it interesting to see the origins of our esteemed ranger teams Alpha and Beta.

But more importantly, it was disappointing to see this thread start out so promising in its negativity, and quickly spiral into a thread of support, kindness, and positivity. :twisted:

Oops, I mean the contrary. Err, yeah. :lol: