Let's Talk About the New Forum Mods

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Status

Post by Zombra » November 3rd, 2013, 2:04 pm

McDougle wrote:Btw I didn't even notice the green names until now.
I'll just asdume you guys are the pre-beta testers...
We're newly empowered forum mods; that's it.
Brother None wrote:Moderators are not inXile employees, [and] do not speak for inXile
We do get to officially call ourselves Rangers though, which is pretty cool.

snakeoil
Adventurer

Let's Talk About the New Forum Mods

Post by snakeoil » November 4th, 2013, 6:09 am

seriously inxile? this is your answer to people complaining about lack of communication? making fellow forumers moderators? also making these extreme spammers moderators and none of them had the guts to put it down telling you to get your mind clear and really work on better communication? to me this looks like a cheap way to get the most vocal (spamming) forumers shut down by simply "integrating" them. and these guys didnt even realize... its really embarrassing to watch this crap. i have always trusted and supported the integrity of inxile but this cheap move left me saying "pfff" and just shaking my head. i can see the new "moderators" coming up and saying oh no, i will say what i want and everything is good, but its not. you are manipulating the forum in a sad way.
BN you cant tell me that its too much work checking the forums new entries just once a day. nothing is going on here when the updates are a week old. how much posts are there average per day? 10-20? this moderator move disgusts me just as much as those guys giving their name legitimating this crap.
it may sound more angry than i actually feel, i just think you are going the wrong way and instead of turning around or slowing down, you hit the pedal even harder. even if i think that the moderator thing is wrong, at least something is happening...

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 4th, 2013, 6:13 am

When the Beta starts, this forum will be heads over heels in new threads and comments.
Better to have some mods ready beforehand. ^^
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 4th, 2013, 6:30 am

snakeoil wrote:seriously inxile? this is your answer to people complaining about lack of communication? making fellow forumers moderators? also making these extreme spammers moderators and none of them had the guts to put it down telling you to get your mind clear and really work on better communication? to me this looks like a cheap way to get the most vocal (spamming) forumers shut down by simply "integrating" them. and these guys didnt even realize... its really embarrassing to watch this crap. i have always trusted and supported the integrity of inxile but this cheap move left me saying "pfff" and just shaking my head. i can see the new "moderators" coming up and saying oh no, i will say what i want and everything is good, but its not. you are manipulating the forum in a sad way.
BN you cant tell me that its too much work checking the forums new entries just once a day. nothing is going on here when the updates are a week old. how much posts are there average per day? 10-20? this moderator move disgusts me just as much as those guys giving their name legitimating this crap.
it may sound more angry than i actually feel, i just think you are going the wrong way and instead of turning around or slowing down, you hit the pedal even harder. even if i think that the moderator thing is wrong, at least something is happening...
Don't take this too personally, but this sounds a bit paranoid. All the more, because they don't stop "spamming" (not my choice of words, because the most posts are in some way or the other constructive) the least bit. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 4th, 2013, 6:44 am

snakeoil wrote:seriously inxile? this is your answer to people complaining about lack of communication? making fellow forumers moderators? also making these extreme spammers moderators and none of them had the guts to put it down telling you to get your mind clear and really work on better communication? to me this looks like a cheap way to get the most vocal (spamming) forumers shut down by simply "integrating" them. and these guys didnt even realize... its really embarrassing to watch this crap. i have always trusted and supported the integrity of inxile but this cheap move left me saying "pfff" and just shaking my head. i can see the new "moderators" coming up and saying oh no, i will say what i want and everything is good, but its not. you are manipulating the forum in a sad way.
What? Don't you think it's makes sense for the most active members to be moderates seeing they are on the forums on a regular basis as is? It doesn't make sense for someone who only checks in once a week or after updates to be moderators. So BN took the top 5 which will most likely help with any beta forums where we will see lots of new people. How about congrats to them instead of making it into a big ass conspiracy theory.

If we're going to make a conspiracy out of this moderator change, then let's ask why BN stopped at the top 5 most active and not the top 6! Obviously to purposely spite me! :lol:

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » November 4th, 2013, 7:45 am

@snakeoil:

I honestly have no idea what your complaint is.

I can tell you that we the newly green are not meant as the solution to the communication problem, which I think we all agree exists. If I haven't "had the guts" to tell the inXile brass off over this, it's because:

1. It is not my job to express your opinion.

2. Yours is not an opinion I share in the first place.

3. They know what they're doing. I do not.

4. I trust them to know what they're doing. I wouldn't have agreed to be a moderator here if I didn't. Shit, I wouldn't have been asked, because you can bet I would have raised a stink about it way before now - and if I hadn't, one of my compatriots on Ranger Teams Alpha and Bravo would have. The day inXile pulls some real horseshit is the day I refuse to be a moderator any longer. That would include not allowing me to speak freely. I'll say what I fucking well like, especially since this is volunteer work we're doing and I haven't signed anything.

5. We only really answer to Brother None in the first place. It's not like we're exchanging cat pictures with Fargo over Skype or anything.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » November 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

Lucius wrote:If we're going to make a conspiracy out of this moderator change, then let's ask why BN stopped at the top 5 most active and not the top 6! Obviously to purposely spite me! :lol:
Hmmm... The moniker Brother None implies an only child. Do you know who else is an only child?

Alan Greenspan.

Yup. You read that right. Now, we all know that the Fed is controlled by the Illuminati (just look at the back of a dollar bill.) If Brother None is indeed Alan Greenspan, and not someone with the unlikely name of "Thomas Beekers" then CLEARLY InXile is in the pocket of the Illuminati.

So WHY does the Illuminati want to have the top five posters available as mods? The obvious and logical reasons (additional mods for the beta, reward for continued excellent contributions, etc.) are CLEARLY decoy reasons for the their true, nefarious purposes.

Take off your shoes, gents, because I'm about to blow your socks straight through them.

In 1991, the US Congress passed what was known as "The High Performance Computing and Communication Act." This bill was known as "The Gore Bill" because it was pushed forward none other than Al Gore, who is not only a mason but a member of the Illuminati. Interesting side bar, when mentioning this bill as one of his triumphs during a presidential debate for the 2000 election, the Republican party managed to mangle what he was actually saying (that he created a bill which supplied R&D funding to what eventually became the internet) to diminish Gore's credibility and set up a famous hanging chad situation. But I digress, that's a side conspiracy (wheels within wheels, man). Back to the main conspiracy.

-Gore pushes a bill which allows for internet research and development to happen.
-2008, the financial crisis
-Greenspan manipulates the Fed to create a global economic situation where traditional models become unworkable.
-Snowden
-Because traditional finance models are no longer as workable, the time is right for a new model. Kickstarter has conveniently been created by Yancy Strickler, Charles Adler, and Perry Chen.

Now, "Yancy Strickler" is a well known alias for Nancy Reagan.
Perry Chen has never been photographed*.
Charles Adler is related to famous actress Stella Adler, who of course is the grandmother of Tom Oppenheimer. Does that last name sound familiar? It should. Because... look up who invented the atom bomb.

Bingo.

Now, just let your mind wander for a second. What's the setting of Wasteland? What is the MAIN EVENT that dictated the nature of the setting? Take a moment to connect the dot. Chills, right?

So, Greenspan (AKA Brother None) creates a situation where InXile can suddenly be in a position to not only have a game... But thank's to Gore's work in the 90s, that game can be funded AND have a forum.

I think we can all start to see that this is indeed an intricate web.

One more bit of compelling information: Look at the name InXile. Uncross the 'X', and you have to 'l's'. Inllile. Move them over and flip the 'n'. Illuile. Now, Illuile is an obscure Native American word for the number "135". Or "13" with a "5". So 13th letter (M) placed 5th. Now we've got Illumile. Lets look at '-ile'. What else ends in 'ile'? THE NILE. OBVIOUSLY. So now you have Illuminle. "le" is french for "the". We're at 'Illuminthe'. You might know that 'e' is a vowel... Just like 'a' and 'i', That leaves us with Illuminthai. Slide the a left to (because Brian Fargos initials are BF, which is also a common initial for "boyfriend" which implies a relationship between a couple, which is 2.) We're at 'Illuminathi'. Or, if you make the 'h' silent (and nonexistent) becomes ILLUMINATI.

Okay, I know this is a lot to absorb. But maybe, just maybe we're being forced to wait a few extra days for the beta because we're all pawns in what is CLEARLY a global conspiracy that has been orchestrated by shadow figures for a long long time. So whose pulling the strings?

Ranger Team Alpha.

Just think about it a sec. "Alpha" means "first" and "Ranger Team" means "Ranger Team."

If this is my last post, then something has happened to me. DON'T LET THEM COVER IT UP.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » November 4th, 2013, 8:11 am

Hahaha, that's crazy!

Operation Warbling Toad is a go! Repeat, Operation Warbling Toad is a go! All hail the Secret Chiefs!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Lucius
Master

Let's Talk About the New Forum Moderators

Post by Lucius » November 4th, 2013, 8:15 am

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:snip
This is pure GOLD. :lol: I laughed for days. Seriously.

/thread

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 4th, 2013, 10:07 am

Pudding man, whaddaya need pudding for!? You're crazy! Ego my lego!

Seriously... awesome read. Now everything is as CLEAR as Walther Blanco's Crystal Meth! :lol:
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » November 4th, 2013, 10:28 am

My goal is to one day be on the receiving end of a slow clap. :)
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

The Doctor
Scholar

Post by The Doctor » November 4th, 2013, 12:15 pm

TheHarpoMarxist wrote: An interesting theory...

If this is my last post, then something has happened to me. DON'T LET THEM COVER IT UP.
Reading this forum is the high point of my day :lol: Well done TheHarpoMarxist.

And kudos to the members of Ranger Teams Alpha and Bravo. ;)

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 4th, 2013, 12:31 pm

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:...

Fear not, your death will not be in vain. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » November 4th, 2013, 12:33 pm

TheHarpoMarxist wrote: ...

Brilliant. You win.

leandro213
Novice

Post by leandro213 » November 4th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Nice post, well written. It was getting pretty dark in here.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 4th, 2013, 1:35 pm

TheHarpoMarxist wrote: Okay, I know this is a lot to absorb. But maybe, just maybe we're being forced to wait a few extra days for the beta because we're all pawns in what is CLEARLY a global conspiracy that has been orchestrated by shadow figures for a long long time. So whose pulling the strings?

Ranger Team Alpha.

Just think about it a sec. "Alpha" means "first" and "Ranger Team" means "Ranger Team."
You mean I've spent the past 18 months conversing with so called Wasteland fans who really had another agenda?

I'm shocked! Outraged!

:lol:

Brilliant read.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Thrin
Explorer

Post by Thrin » November 4th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Woolfe wrote: As moderators we are allowed our own opinions. We were asked to the position to assist BrotherNone, that is all. We are not expected to be cheerleaders for InXile as a result of this change of status.
If you have a problem with any moderator, please advise BrotherNone by PM, as stated in the forum rules.
While I love the folk who have joined Ranger Team Alpha I think it's important that the members of it understand that by being moderators, regardless of reality, there is a perception that you are now affiliated with inXile.

Personally, I think it was a bad move on inXile's part to hire ya'll unless, of course, you are getting paid and have signed a contract with inXile then, by all means, carry on!

This isn't a fan site. This it the official forum of Wasteland 2. Anyone who is a moderator here will be assumed (appropriately so in my mind given how every other official site operates) to be part of inXile.

Putting that aside because it is what it is (expect a serious can of worms to be opened by this move including calls of favoritism) was there an announcement about it that I missed?

I poked around the forums a bit for one but failed in my quest.

Personally, I understand what it is like to work in a small company and to wear many hats. I haven't thought of Brother None as an official communications type for inXile ever because, simply put, he isn't and if he is he has faced definite challenges. He's active on the forums sure but if he was hired to be the social media type then.. uhh.. hopefully his role changed over time because I bet he's making a mighty fine QA / Line Producer / etc type instead of a PR type.

As the Beta draws ever closer (at least in theory) we are still left with a need for official communication and representation. Foisting moderator status onto some really awesome folk is a bad idea. From the core it is a bad idea especially if our Ranger Team Alpha folk think that they can speak their own minds and have their own opinions that are not directly in line with inXile's position.

That is asking for so much trouble as we move forward.

As an aside, when are we going to get the communique that outlines what the Beta test is all about and what to expect from it? I was hoping to see that out a few weeks ago and figured it would be coming along at some point but so far there's been an awful lot of silence about this.

How will the Beta work?
How will the bug feedback be handled?
How buggy will the game be?
How long is the Beta expected to last?
If there are serious issues with the game will the Beta be extended?
Will the Beta client ever get withdrawn or 'shut down' due to problems?

Setting the expectations of the Beta test community is vital in ADVANCE of the actual Beta test.

I hope that this gets covered in its own update and I hope that the update doesn't bleed into a Beta test announcement. But, I suppose one could combine the two although, in my view, that would lessen the impact of both updates.

Anyway, I don't mind that we have fan moderators but I think it's a silly move from a corporate perspective. As great as the folks who are in Ranger Team Alpha (and I think they are great) they are not officially inXile - unless, of course, they have signed on with inXile and then sweet! That's the way to go! But, if they are merely fans, then.. yup, we're in for troubled times.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 4th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Thrin wrote:While I love the folk who have joined Ranger Team Alpha I think it's important that the members of it understand that by being moderators, regardless of reality, there is a perception that you are now affiliated with inXile.

Personally, I think it was a bad move on inXile's part to hire ya'll unless, of course, you are getting paid and have signed a contract with inXile then, by all means, carry on!

This isn't a fan site. This it the official forum of Wasteland 2. Anyone who is a moderator here will be assumed (appropriately so in my mind given how every other official site operates) to be part of inXile.
I haven't perused very many official forums over the years, but of the ones I have, they have both had community mods. Bethesda forums has unpaid community moderators with Gstaff watching over them, whom is an official paid Bethesda employee. The other is this one. which has always had unpaid moderators, starting with Brother None before he went on the payroll.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 4th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Moderators are not officially affiliated with inXile, the rules clearly state as much. If you guys think it's a good idea we can have all moderators put a disclaimer in their sig to prevent confusion.

Pretty much every video game forum I've ever frequented has voluntary fan-moderators. Bethesda does it, Obsidian does it, BioWare does it, etc etc. The guy leading the team tends be an employee, whether it's full-time or part-time, but having volunteers help run the forums is an industry standard. This is also how we've run things ever since I joined, all we did was add to the existing moderator group of Sxerks, SuAside, Ranger Ben and Tagaziel.

inXile is in no position to hire a dedicated community manager full-time, of course, but we do what we can within our means.

Selecting moderators was based purely on familiarity. I don't know most people posting on these forums outside the forums which means I can only judge you from posts here. It's not super-coincidental I'd select from the top posters because they generally dedicated a number of posts being helpful to other users and I feel more comfortable estimating their demeanor and reliability as well as know they are active enough on the forums. I think pretty much all of them have been critical of things we've done or shown in the past and I hope they'll continue to do so.

And yes, it will help in communication, if only by freeing up more of my time to focus on that, but also by allowing me to rely on them to ensure I don't miss any important threads when this forum becomes more active. It's not a huge step, but it is something we needed to do before beta launches, because in its existing format the forum wouldn't work as was. Also, we will of course talk more about what the beta is like.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 4th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Honestly I thought the legend at the bottom of the main page was pretty self explanatory. On that basis I assume that anyone with a red name is associated with inXile and the others are people helping run and maintain the forum.

Only thing wrong with it is the admin and inXile colors look a bit too similar, unless the admin IS associated with inXile?
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo