inXile secures investment for a new VR title

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
phimseto
Developer

inXile secures investment for a new VR title

Post by phimseto » July 12th, 2017, 8:01 am

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... om-gumi-vr
Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment has landed an investment from gumi VR, a subsidiary of Japan's gumi Inc. The $4.5 million investment is a combined total covering part equity in inXile and funding for a brand-new VR project. Fargo intends to build on his VR success with Mage's Tale by creating an open-world survival title for all high-end VR headsets.

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: inXile secures investment for a new VR title

Post by kilobug » July 12th, 2017, 9:16 am

That's what I feared when seeing Brian Fargo so exited about VR... I mean, I wish you good luck, but I fear inXile will stop making good old-school isometric RPGs and move towards more and more VR games which I don't have the slightest interest in... so for me it's a sad news. I know that's probably where the market is but... oh well, the RPG Renaissance was great as long as at it lasted, and we still have a few incoming titles (including WL3) !

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 13th, 2017, 12:07 am

kilobug wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 9:16 am
That's what I feared when seeing Brian Fargo so exited about VR... I mean, I wish you good luck, but I fear inXile will stop making good old-school isometric RPGs and move towards more and more VR games which I don't have the slightest interest in... so for me it's a sad news. I know that's probably where the market is but... oh well, the RPG Renaissance was great as long as at it lasted, and we still have a few incoming titles (including WL3) !
Exactly what I was thinking. It's also important to remember that those investors will want that 4.5 million back plus profits, it may seem like a big deal but in reality all it is is this company paying InXile to make a VR game, since the investor is fronting the money I would doubt that InXile will get any revenue from sales. Also it's rather curious seeing as Mage's Tale got mostly mediocre review scores.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

headclot
Initiate

Post by headclot » July 13th, 2017, 1:01 pm

So I really do not comment on things that inxile does. However I am excited about this.

Face book has plans to release a $200 dollar standalone VR headset and If this project will run on it. I will be all in on it.

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » July 14th, 2017, 9:08 am

The $4.5 million investment is a combined total covering part equity in inXile and funding for a brand-new VR project.

As part of the equity deal, gumi CEO Hironao Kunimitsu also joins inXile Entertainment's board.
Hmmm. I wonder if being part-owned by a Japanese mobile game publisher is going to have any impact on inXile's stance towards monetization schemes.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 16th, 2017, 5:05 am

Lix wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 9:08 am
Hmmm. I wonder if being part-owned by a Japanese mobile game publisher is going to have any impact on inXile's stance towards monetization schemes.
No idea. And I also don't care for VR gaming. But given what happened with interplay, I think its good thing to have a financially strong studio..
Crosmando wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 12:07 am
Exactly what I was thinking. It's also important to remember that those investors will want that 4.5 million back plus profits, it may seem like a big deal but in reality all it is is this company paying InXile to make a VR game, since the investor is fronting the money I would doubt that InXile will get any revenue from sales.
I have no way of knowing the details of their agreement . But (1) usually companies don't go for deals that don't benefit them in the long run, (2) given that only part of that sum was invested in a new title, Inxile already got money. (3) I doubt deal they made was much different than what you see in the industry e.g. Obsidian PoE 2 deadfire was funded through fig camping, meaning that fig fronted half the cash and would receive share of the profit..

headclot
Initiate

Post by headclot » July 24th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I just want mod tools for this title :)