Introducing our new Community Manager

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
phimseto
Developer

Re: Introducing our new Community Manager

Post by phimseto » April 24th, 2017, 6:27 am

It was a good, busy first week! Also, I am amused that my welcome post became hijacked by TradeWars, Pimp Wars, and BBS talk. It wouldn't be a forum thread without the wildest of tangents! :-)

Thanks again for the welcome, everyone! See you out in the forums!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » April 24th, 2017, 7:07 am

Oh man, why did this thread have to navigate into BBS waters? :D Those were the days. 'Waters' just reminded me of Muddy Waters, the telnet MUD too.
But man, Telegard, Renegade, ANSI art and newsletters... I tried tradewars a few times but never really got into it. For me it was more Barren Realms Elite and various versions of that daily turn-based game. :)

Good to see you around, phimseto. It'll be nice to have another good inside connection with the community.

Origin story?
What can I say... I was a kid. My bro was playing BT, around the same time as Shadow Gate (remember that one?:). But I'd peak at his sketches and grids and writings, but BT was a 'grown up' game, so I'd occasionally play along with him. Eventually I got into it myself, and that began the whole grid mapping phase. That's seriously about the biggest component to BT that makes the game stand out from every other game. I've ever played. Ever. :)
But I've tried BT on various platforms - DOS, Amiga, Atari... These days I've tried to collect and verify emulations on whatever platform is available, just for nostalgia's sake, but I think my primary platform was DOS, with Amiga a close 2nd.

Today, I now have stacks of maps - redrawn from scratch with every playthrough.

After BT I move into Dragon Wars. Loved the slightly different gameplay mechanics, but once again - that mapping!

Goes without saying, if there's one thing that makes BT dear to me, it's the hand-mapping (not the automap, which at best could be a guide).

As for inXile, I can't say I'm primarily an "inXile Fan" (don't shoot me!) -- I was introduced to inXile with BT2004, which I enjoyed, but was quite disappointed that wasn't "really" Bard's Tale insomuch as an inspired-by spinoff. inXile's done a whole lot of good, but not being a HUGE gamer in the last decade or so, Bard's Tale is still really at this point my only exposure to inXile style gaming entertainment :) I'm sure eventually I'll get to enjoy Torment. I'm itching to find time and $ to get into it.
Since the classics, I hadn't followed the progress of the BT brand (and the rights to the series were hazy anyway with the status of Interplay and the original devs), so I wasn't quite sure what to make of the future of the series. Suffice to say, my hopes rest on inXile that BT4 will take me back to the good old days! ;) My love for BT was re-invigorated when I (and a couple of other independent web devs) stepped in to help keep "The Adventurer's Guild" fan website content alive (which eventually became BardsTaleOnline for my part, and spawned a couple of other fan sites too, like the Compendium).

All that demonstrate, BTO is dear to my RPGing heart. :)
Welcome to the community phimseto!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » April 24th, 2017, 8:44 am

Welcome aboard. Became a fan when Brian Fargo started throwing Wasteland 2 KickStarter ideas around on Twitter. :P I had heard of them before but the games they had done to that point weren't the type of games I usually play and enjoy.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » April 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm

phimseto wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 6:27 am
It was a good, busy first week! Also, I am amused that my welcome post became hijacked by TradeWars, Pimp Wars, and BBS talk. It wouldn't be a forum thread without the wildest of tangents! :-)
Sorry for my part in that - I think you were the first to mention TW 2002 though. :P
But, there may be a takeaway here: a lot of us had fun with games that had "literate interfaces", such as the old BBS doors and a trilogy of games called the Bard's Tale series. A lot of us would be happy to see a literate interface in BT IV. Just saying....

Oh, and I guess I never did give my origin story. Mostly had to do with seeing an older cousin playing the original BT games on his Commodore when I visited and deciding that I really, really wanted them. Saved up and bought the first game via a mail order catalog. (Remember those?) Played BT 1 on a Mac until my mother noticed me fighting some Zombies and Sorcerers one day and decided that they looked eevil and therefore the whole game must be eevil and that I had to get rid of it. (Yes, she is one of those ultra-religious types. And, no, it didn't matter that my cousin, her brother's son, owned the game.) I was able to save the diskette (only one for the Mac) via a bit of deception, but had to throw out the album cover and manual and show that as proof. I continued playing the game on the sly at night and eventually beat Mangar. I am still pissed about my loss of the album cover and printed manual, and yes, I really do want inXile to issue a 30th Anniversary Edition reprint of those.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 24th, 2017, 10:35 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm
Saved up and bought the first game via a mail order catalog. (Remember those?)
Oh yes. I also remember my very first game: Gridrunner from a cartridge on my C64. My second was some kind of platformer. That loaded from a cassette tape. That my dad programmed by copying from the back of Compute's Gazette. And some typing "game" that had a big robot and came on, like, 4 or 6 cassettes.

Man, it was so amazing when we upgraded to a 10 pound disk drive...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 25th, 2017, 3:47 am

Drool wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 10:35 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm
Saved up and bought the first game via a mail order catalog. (Remember those?)
Oh yes. I also remember my very first game: Gridrunner from a cartridge on my C64. My second was some kind of platformer. That loaded from a cassette tape. That my dad programmed by copying from the back of Compute's Gazette. And some typing "game" that had a big robot and came on, like, 4 or 6 cassettes.

Man, it was so amazing when we upgraded to a 10 pound disk drive...
We didn't get the cartridge for some reason... others did... Wizard of Wor I think it was.

We had cassette tapes to start with... Yeah and then the floppy disc which was bigger than the machine.

Mule, Raid on Bungling bay, Boulder Dash, Thing on a spring, Lode Runner, Defender of the Crown, Pirates!, Wizball, Elite.... Enigma Force... So many games....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » April 25th, 2017, 7:10 am

Some great titles listed here. My top five personal favorite Commodore games would have to be Agent USA, Archon, Bard's Tale 2, Mule, and Pirates! There are probably like 50 titles hotly contesting sixth place, from Aztec Challenge to Zork!

Great hearing all these stories, though, noblesse, sorry to hear your own particular tale. It's a familiar story (inc. a dear friend who had pretty much the same thing happen with Bard's Tale 2). I would love to see the gaming industry have its own "vinyl is popular again" phase where they release classic editions like that, too.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 25th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Woolfe wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 3:47 am
Raid on Bungling bay
Loved that game, even though it was stupidly difficult.

And, apparently, the design tool for making it was the inspiration for none other than Sim City!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » May 3rd, 2017, 9:07 am

phimseto wrote:
April 18th, 2017, 12:06 pm
Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories".
BT1 came out in my 3rd year at university.

Somehow I graduated anyway.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 3rd, 2017, 11:44 am

demeisen wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 9:07 am
phimseto wrote:
April 18th, 2017, 12:06 pm
Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories".
BT1 came out in my 3rd year at university.

Somehow I graduated anyway.
:lol:

It's always a danger, especially once multiplayer became a viable thing over university networks. Basically from Diablo onward, I watched a number of higher education careers flush down the drain. As an old friend said on his way out the door (literally) after getting booted, "There's a reason they call it 'Evercrack.'"

When I think about the time that I put into playing The Bard's Tale games, it's a wonder that I kept my grades up and extracurriculars going. Where did I get all that time? I could use some of it these days.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm

phimseto wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 11:44 am
It's always a danger, especially once multiplayer became a viable thing over university networks.
I still remember almost crashing the campus network when half my floor played a giant Rise of the Triad deathmatch...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 4th, 2017, 12:04 am

Drool wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm
phimseto wrote:
It's always a danger, especially once multiplayer became a viable thing over university networks.
I still remember almost crashing the campus network when half my floor played a giant Rise of the Triad deathmatch...
For me it was getting the IPX handshaking with Doom....

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 4th, 2017, 5:14 am

Woolfe wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 12:04 am

Yeah, Doom 2/Quake deathmatch and Warcraft 2 (and a small smattering of other stuff) were the extent of my MP in college. Oh, and NetTrek early on in the computer lab. Times were simpler then! :-D

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 4th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Woolfe wrote:
Drool wrote:
phimseto wrote:
Ah, good ol' IPX/SPX, back when Netware was a thing, a big thing.

I had connections in a couple of the campus computer labs. We'd hang out and play Magic until around 11 PM or midnight and then wander into one of the labs and fire up Warcraft, Descent, and a smattering of others over the lab network. Probably violated a policy, but when the lab was mostly empty and the campus switches and routers were bored, I don't think anyone really cared.
cmibl<enter>

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 4th, 2017, 6:28 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 5:04 pm
Woolfe wrote:
Drool wrote:

I had connections in a couple of the campus computer labs. We'd hang out and play Magic until around 11 PM or midnight and then wander into one of the labs and fire up Warcraft, Descent, and a smattering of others over the lab network. Probably violated a policy, but when the lab was mostly empty and the campus switches and routers were bored, I don't think anyone really cared.
Yep... pretty much our story exactly.... :lol:

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 4th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Woolfe wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 6:28 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 5:04 pm
Woolfe wrote:

Yep... pretty much our story exactly.... :lol:
Pretty much every computer lab story. Remember that the industry's roots are in large part a bunch of bored college kids secretly using computer lab time and resources to create, play, and pass around punch card games! :-D There was a great moment at the launch of The Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian where Don Daglow (Utopia) and Rand Miller (Myst) were comparing college notes and realized they had played each other's respective computer games back when they were secretly passed around between different computer labs!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Once a long time ago at [strangely one of the many NOSF3 conventions held here] I played DOOM for the first time, and until 3AM. What had started out as a room full of players (waiting in line for a seat), had eventually wound down to just me and some other kid; running around in an empty deathmatch map with no weapons or ammo left, each trying to punch the other whenever we passed by in the halls. This got boring after about an hour. :lol:

With Quake it was different... The first time I logged into a Quake server (via dial-up I think, but I'm not sure), it was almost 7PM and was just starting to get dark. The game was incredibly fun, and everyone in it seemed to each be from a different country. At eight O'Clock, I typed to the others that I was quitting; I disconnected, and then got ready to go to sleep... but soon wondered why the Sun was rising instead of setting.

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » May 5th, 2017, 8:29 am

phimseto wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 6:42 pm
Pretty much every computer lab story. Remember that the industry's roots are in large part a bunch of bored college kids secretly using computer lab time and resources to create, play, and pass around punch card games! :-D
Haha yeah - In fact, Unix was written because Ken Thompson wanted to play a game called Space Travel that didn't run on any computer he had access too. The logical solution to this, he figured, was to write his own operating system to enable him to port Space Travel to a PDP-7 he had access to. Thus was created Unix, which begat Linux and XNU, which are the kernels running almost every modern smartphone. So smartphones have a very direct lineage to a 1960's computer nerd's game obsession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Tra ... eo_game%29 -> As a part of porting the game to the PDP-7, Thompson developed his own operating system, which later formed the core of the Unix operating system. Space Travel never spread beyond Bell Labs or had an effect on future games, leaving its primary legacy as part of the original push for the development of Unix.

Do not trifle with game-obsessed computer nerds :D

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 5th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Indeed. There is also the Linus Torvalds bio, which reads in part:
Wikipedia wrote:After the VIC-20 he purchased a Sinclair QL, which he modified extensively, especially its operating system. "Because it was so hard to get software for it in Finland, Linus wrote his own assembler and editor (in addition to Pac-Man graphics libraries)" for the QL, as well as a few games. He is known to have written a Pac-Man clone named Cool Man.
cmibl<enter>

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 5th, 2017, 8:21 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 5:35 pm
Indeed. There is also the Linus Torvalds bio, which reads in part:
Wikipedia wrote:After the VIC-20 he purchased a Sinclair QL, which he modified extensively, especially its operating system. "Because it was so hard to get software for it in Finland, Linus wrote his own assembler and editor (in addition to Pac-Man graphics libraries)" for the QL, as well as a few games. He is known to have written a Pac-Man clone named Cool Man.
Vic 20.. thats a name from the past. The guy who was our game "dealer" :? 8-) , had one... he got us all onto the C64, such an awesome game machine.